Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going from a 4Runner to a brand new 2018 Outback.

Loved the 4Runner, will miss it. But one main advantage is better gas mileage.

One question. Where's the emergency brake? :surprise:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
electronic thingy over your left knee with the buttons there on the dash.

owners manual = friend

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
electronic thingy over your left knee with the buttons there on the dash.

owners manual = friend
Thanks. Yeah I pick it up on Tuesday, so don't have the manual in front of me.

One dealership pointed to the center console and said thats it but don't press it while you're driving. I'm like why. He says you wouldn't want to. Wonder if he knew what he was talking about.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I pick it up on Tuesday, so don't have the manual in front of me.

One dealership pointed to the center console and said thats it but don't press it while you're driving. I'm like why. He says you wouldn't want to. Wonder if he knew what he was talking about.
maybe they moved it from the earlier ones, but been electronic since the 2010.

but hard to find a current daily driver road car with a plain old hand brake. :frown2:

click the vehicle resources tab here for the online version:
https://www.subaru.com/owners.html:

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
448 Posts
On the 2018 it IS on the center console and you pull up on that little toggle switch to activate it and push down to release it. You will see a red light on the toggle and a symbol on the dashboard.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
359 Posts
I always use my parking brake to take the weight of the car when parked, so I've also wondered about the electronic p-brake in my 18.

The owner's manual only has a couple paragraphs about using the p-brake as an e-brake. Those paragraphs mention the role of the VDC system in providing emergency braking if you pull the button while in motion. That suggests- but doesn't quite confirm- that emergency braking power will be modulated to all 4 wheels as opposed to just full on clamped rear brakes & locked rear wheels.

I'd be curious if your salesman knows from experience or from sales training which would happen if you pull the p-brake button while moving? Congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
maybe they moved it from the earlier ones, but been electronic since the 2010.

but hard to find a current daily driver road car with a plain old hand brake. :frown2:

click the vehicle resources tab here for the online version:
https://www.subaru.com/owners.html:
Crosstrek still has a "manual" parking brake.
But I can definitely confirm, 5th gen the parking brake is on the center console, just below the gear shift. It's a horrible placement. One of the few things on my 16 that I think Subie got wrong.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
I always use my parking brake to take the weight of the car when parked, so I've also wondered about the electronic p-brake in my 18.

The owner's manual only has a couple paragraphs about using the p-brake as an e-brake. Those paragraphs mention the role of the VDC system in providing emergency braking if you pull the button while in motion. That suggests- but doesn't quite confirm- that emergency braking power will be modulated to all 4 wheels as opposed to just full on clamped rear brakes & locked rear wheels.

I'd be curious if your salesman knows from experience or from sales training which would happen if you pull the p-brake button while moving? Congrats on the new car!
Originally the 'parking brake' was also called the 'emergency brake', which could still operate even when the regular brakes had failed. Rally drivers (and others) use them for tight turning in races. These electronic parking brakes are (I think) literally just for holding the car in a parking position, as a backup to the car being in Park.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
346 Posts
Going from a 4Runner to a brand new 2018 Outback.

Loved the 4Runner, will miss it. But one main advantage is better gas mileage.

One question. Where's the emergency brake? :surprise:
Congrats on your new Outback. Take it from a guy who previously had two 4Runners and a Tundra you're really going to like it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts