Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Subaru Outback Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after owning Honda products, I now have a '99 Outback Limited. Very strange. I had a '92 Acura Integra and loved that car. Drove it to Tucson from OH after several harsh winters. Then baked it in 5 Tucson summers before driving it back to OH for two more harsh winters. That car was a friend and it was difficult to part with. Now I have an Outback. Always wanted one. Saw tons of them in Durango CO when I raced my mountain bike there. I thought that it would be a car that really could reflect my lifestyle. So far I love it. It's an automatic so, after years of sticking it, it's quite a change. I've never had so much room. And with my bike rack on top, I have all the room to carry my gear. I tend to keep cars for quite a while so, I hope I made a good choice. I'm glad I found this site. Hopefully I can learn from you folks about what I need to know to keep my Outie around for years to come.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Welcome to Subaru and the Outback forums. Like you will become, many of us are Subaru addicts. Outbacks are very versatile and sensible vehicles. Questions-ask away. Knowledge-share with us:D . Brian

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
How many miles do ya have on it?

We'll need a picture, I hope you realize.

What make/model of mountain bike do you ride?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Welcome to the board, fellow Buckeye.

Have fun settling into your OB, mine has hauled all sorts of stuff by now. Wait until you drive it on snow, you'll have to fight to keep a bozo grin off your face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my Outie. I'm enjoying it greatly so far. No major complaints. I have my parts for my Thule bike rack on order. I have to get the windows tinted. I'm not used to so much glass. I wish the cruise control had an indicator that let you know that it was active other than the master switch. My Acura and Hondas had a light that displayed the status. I also wish the hatch had an in car release. Overall those aren't really enough to ruin my fun with my car.
Showed the car to my mom, she was thrilled that I have a station wagon. She thinks I'm going to start a family. I had to tell her that I own an all wheel drive multi purpose sport wagon. I think she see's me driving some grandkids to soccer practice. Sorry mom.
Oh, a question about my bikes, I have a 2000 Diamondback XR8, a 2003 Tomac Revolver, a 96 Cannondale F500 that I turned into a single speed and, a Cannondale F 600 road bike. I also have a 99 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX bike and a 98 Gary Fisher Joshua XO that I'm rebuilding after cannablizing it for parts.
Hey Lizard, I'm in Columbus too. Hope to keep in touch so you can guide me with my car.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Don S you need to downsize the pic first, 640x480 resolution or less

Cheers,

Karl

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I think the size limit for pics is 102Kb, not much :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,I think I've got it! Here is my Outback. Love the leather, have to tweek the stereo, and it has 59k on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
Sexy

Very impressive bike garage you have there...some very nice models. Anything Cannondale is just a beautiful beautiful thing. Mine's a Gary Fisher. I love em.' I've ridden it hard for well over a year and haven't had to adjust anything besides the brakes. My last was a Specialized Hardrock. Very nice too until it was stolen. Bastards....

Enjoy your Subie, I've loved mine. I just put 500 dollars worth of love into it in the form of new brake rotors and pads. But she has 102,500 nearly trouble-free miles on it, so I guess it's warranted.

You'll love it...wait until winter...you won't be able to keep the smiles off your face.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Great looking car DonS :D

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Hei DonS,

I've loved both of my "Outies!" My first was a '96 and I traded for an '02 when it had 102k on the ticker.

AWD in the snow is great, slides are fun too. Just went to Home Depot to get a new door with the OB last night.

To all, I am in the market for a bike rack myself, the question is regarding ease of on-off loading and mpg.

The question roof or hatch mount?

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
119 Posts
I have a Yakima bike rack through Subaru for the roof rack. As far as ease of loading...I love it. It is easy as anything to get a bike on there. It'll take 30 seconds once you get used to it. But if you have a bad back at all or are a little shorter, you may have a problem.
The hitch mounted rack is a pain from what I've heard. It can limit your ability to open the trunk, and it takes longer to get your bikes strapped on there. In addition, I had a buddy load his on, and the heat from the exhaust melted his tire. Granted he mounted the bike the wrong direction, but if you do happen to make that mistake, it could happen pretty easily.
As far as gas mileage is concerned? The roof rack will have a greater impact; however, I think my gas mileage on the highway dropped one or two mpgs without the bike strapped on. With bike on? Probably more.
Overall, due to ease of use, I'd go with the roof rack.
Also, it is much stronger than it looks. I was in a decent accident with my bike strapped on the roof, and the thing stayed perfectly in place and the rack and bike weren't at all damaged.
Good luck to you.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
*G* at the Detroit auto show in January, they had an H2 with a bike rack on the roof. I wondered, how the heck are you supposed to reach up there to get them on and off?

It cracks me up, anyway, that someone would drive something as huge as that, and still not have room to put a bike in it. I used to carry my Schwinn in my Phoenix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered the Thule 450 system. It's just the foot pack and it attaches to the factory rack. I can use the load bars and the trays that I already have. I've had my rack for ten years and it's still solid even after flying off of my Acura with two bike on it while going 75 mph on my way to Sedona. My fault, didn't tighten it as well as I should have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sarge, I feel your pain. I had my first Cannondale stolen. It was an F400. Saw the creep get on it and ride off. Couldn't catch him. Luckily, my home insurance paid off and I bought my F500. Before I got my Tomac I looked at the Specialized Epic. Nice design but, I got a great deal on the Tomac. And, it's such a plush rig. My Fisher Joshua is a bit of a dinosaur. That unified triangle design was ok for it's time but, 4 bar became the standard. But, it was my first full suspension and, my first true xc bike so I have to restore it. I'm looking for a bike with the Turner design. Their Maverick system will be the standard before long. If you are hooked on C'dales, test ride their Gemini line. Super plush, almost dh plush but, for a banger like myself, I could easily make it an xc terror.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
133 Posts
SubieFinn said:
To all, I am in the market for a bike rack myself, the question is regarding ease of on-off loading and mpg.

The question roof or hatch mount?
I love the full Yakima setup. With 58" bars, I can get 4 bikes up there, or a canoe and two bikes. Also works wonders for all my snow toys! You can see the 4 bike setup in my avatar.

--Bill

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
bigbill25 said:

I love the full Yakima setup. With 58" bars, I can get 4 bikes up there, or a canoe and two bikes. Also works wonders for all my snow toys! You can see the 4 bike setup in my avatar.

--Bill
I didn't notice your setup at first. Looks good! I checked the Yakima roof rails out over the weekend and they are a bit out of my price range. I did however get a Yakima hitch mount bike carrier from ****'s on sale for $129.99. Looks like a quality unit.

Thanks bigbill!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
133 Posts
For a large picture of my avatar, click here. Yes, there are four bikes up there. Three forward and one reversed.

--Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts