Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering an Outback for some time now. I'm going to start looking seriously in a couple weeks when I get my taxes back. I'm looking at a 2005-2007 Outback XT.

Is there anything specifically I need to look for when buying one?

Is there anything you don't like about yours?

Are there any options that you wish you had or really love that you do have that I should look for?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Used XTs can be a little scary. Turbo failure isn't too uncommon. I'd look for a very well documented maintenance history on it. They should have also run premium fuel and synthetic oil for the life of the car.

I'm looking for a 3rd gen myself, but I'm looking for an 07-09 H6. Have you considered that engine at all? Both the H6 and XT have their pros and cons. While the XT definitely wins out in the power and fun category, the H6 is surely less likely to balk at a less-than-meticulous maintenance history. I hear that at highway speeds the XT and H6 are pretty similar as far as power goes.

Don't get me wrong, the XT is an awesome Outback, I'd just be very careful when buying one!

As far as options, I think in 2007 all XTs are limiteds and the 2007+ cars have an auxiliary input on the stereo (sort of important to think about since as far as I know replacing the stereo on these isn't possible with automatic climate controls).

Even the base XTs (2005-2006) are well equipped. You'll get power everything and heated seats, mirrors, and wiper deicers for example.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
I was just going to ask this same question! We LOVE the look of the XT, but this would be our first Subaru. We've had a Jeep Gr Cherokee for well over 10 years, but want to downsize, and the Subaru looks like the perfect solution.

So, if this was your first Subaru, is it something you would consider? We've found 2 to look at, 1 an automatic and 1 a standard. The 07 is a standard with 120k on it ($10k) and we found and 05 automatic, 60k on it for $9....both are the XT. Now, the 05 is black with black interior, and we'd prefer the beige....we're not in a real hurry, but it's time to look.

Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie....trust me, we appreciate it!!

Elle

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Before you go one step further, study this site for a while - Cars101 lists all the differences between model years and has lots of pics and other useful stuff.

2007 Subaru Outback research site: prices, options, what's new this year, colors, specs, photos and more

I decided on an '07 XT Ltd because I wanted the least miles possible and also I wanted VDC for my daughter. It was standard on the XT Ltd that year.

I personally would not even consider any XT with more than 60K miles. Mine was four years old with 27,000 miles on it, and it looked brand new. I paid a premium price for it tho...They are maintenance intensive and the odds of getting one that has a problem due to neglect or abuse go up with higher mileage. If you can find one with very low mileage (they are still out there) it is worth traveling half way across the country to buy it!

Find Your Car: Used Subaru Outback Listings Near Spokane, WA 99208 - AutoTrader.com

Ignoring the obvious typo of the first car (odometer 1 miles) there are a number of low mileage Gen 3 cars available. You just have to go after them....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
John--

This is EXACTLY the type of information I want!! We are in Connecticut, but same as you, I'll travel to get it and we're willing to wait! We have a 1994 Miata for fun, and traveled 400 miles to get that years ago, so I completely agree with you.

That's why we're on this site, to get as much as information as we can before we make a purchase. I'm going to look at every link you gave me and whatever else is recommended.....we buy our cars to keep them, so this info is invaluable!!

Thank you so much--and if anyone has anything else to add, please do!! This is new territory for me, and I'm excited about the hunt!!:D

Elle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts