Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am in the market for a 2013 outback, I live on a dirt road at 8000 ft in Colorado half the time and at sea level on asphalt in Florida the other half, so you can see theres a potential for a lot of commuting here!! I am torn between the 4 cylinder with CVT for good mileage and the 6 cylinder automatic for the mountain roads and passes. any feedback on the performance of the 4 at altitude in winter on snow and dirt

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check out the Outback Gen-4 Sub Forum if you haven't.

I don't live at the end of a dirt road but @ 9500ft the 4cy does a good job. I spend most of winter in Summit Cty and most days don't need 4X4. But since the OB came AWD equiped I'll keep it. Slows down a little above 11,000ft but what car/truck doesn't.

I don't think you'll need AWD in FL.

(Two round trips to PA / Year)

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was a class action suite on excessive oil usage on some models, a 2013 outback is one of them. 2014 and on don't seam to have the problem. As for your question, I find the cvt transmission to have ample torque with the 2.5 16 valve. If you need more for pulling a load more than 2700lb, then a 6 cylinder is best .

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
There was a class action suite on excessive oil usage on some models, a 2013 outback is one of them. 2014 and on don't seam to have the problem. As for your question, I find the cvt transmission to have ample torque with the 2.5 16 valve. If you need more for pulling a load more than 2700lb, then a 6 cylinder is best .
You realize this thread is 2.5yrs old, don't you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 2.5L is sufficient and adequate for most people. Some have wished for more power at altitude, but even in Denver it seems most of the Outbacks are the 4 cylinder. Most people are OK with the power considering the life the car will lead.

The 3.6L has much more than ample power (maybe too much?), at the expense of gas mileage. Especially if you put your foot into it. The sound is nice, though. Kind of like a Porsche 911 truck. But it's effortless.

Once you've driven one you will have the angel and devil on your shoulder. I can afford the gas, so I went with the 6.

One other thing that swayed me to the 6: issues with maintenance and reliability. The H6 has no issues with head gaskets or oil burning that I know of. The 5-speed automatic is a good old fashioned slushbox that uses regular ATF and can be serviced instead of replaced. The engine can burn 87 octane all day. There is no direct injection BS that requires pulling the heads every 4 years for a $800 de-coking. I figure with the additional reliability and user-maintenance I will break even over the life of the vehicle vs gas mileage. That is, if I don't go through too many extra sets of tires driving like a hoon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
FlowBee
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing