Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this car up fro 10.5K. It seemed like a pretty good deal. The guy did the ECU recall and changed the acc. belts. It has 90k on it so I will have to do the timing belt and water pump soon. I don't drive alot in the summer so I will probably save and get it done then. I did the timing belt on my 3000gt but don't know if I want to attempt this.

I will also look at the banjo bolt to see if it looks okay. Should I just replace it with a stock unit? I will put Rotella in it with my next oil change. I have used Rotella in all my cars. I usually use Purolator oil filters.

I plan on doing suspension work first because it seems sloppy.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Here is a pic

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Looks like you got it under control. There are a ton of other little things to worry about, but you got the big ones. Check the CV boots regularly. Follow the DIY to change the boot when it breaks (should be about now).

Check the rear LCA bushings. They are usually torn bad. Common symptom is 'vague' steering feel. You should replace all 4 shocks. Use the 00-04 KYB in the rear.

Make sure you check your oil every fill up. This turbo will eat it at random times and random amounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I planned on putting some AVO bushings all around to tighten up the suspension. Why replace the rear shocks with a generation?

I have heard about bad turbos. I plan on checking the Banjo Bolt really soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
The 2nd gen outbacks were heavier, so the rear struts have a more aggressive damping rate.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
Thanks for the help. I planned on putting some AVO bushings all around to tighten up the suspension. Why replace the rear shocks with a generation?
Many people feel that the stock rear shocks are under-damped even when brand new.

The 2000-2004 outback was a few hundred pounds heavier; the stock rear shocks on it never earned the same complaints as the newer model.

The parts happen to fit, so some of us have cross-applied the shocks and found the results to our liking. Personally, I'd never go back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car shakes at idle. I have researched it a little bit. Do I need to replace the entire axle or just the cv boot? My WRX shook at idle but not this much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car had a CEL this morning. It was really wet out. It seems like it runs fine but I wonder if I have a coil issue. I will get it checked out.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
8 Posts
Many people feel that the stock rear shocks are under-damped even when brand new.

The 2000-2004 outback was a few hundred pounds heavier; the stock rear shocks on it never earned the same complaints as the newer model.

The parts happen to fit, so some of us have cross-applied the shocks and found the results to our liking. Personally, I'd never go back.
Just yesterday I put on the KYB GR-2 (341276 -m: 00-04) on my son's 05 OBXT and WHAT a difference!!! Before--on the highway the car felt like a shrimp boat. He also has the Subtle 1" lift and the car looks and drives great now. I recommend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts