Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much exhaustive research, I decided to make a 2013 Outback Limited my new car. Having owned the car for almost 2 weeks (and 800 miles) I have begun to accept the enormity of my mistake. Don't get me wrong I like the car's drivability, the gas mileage has been pretty good (28 mpg), and I have even adapted to the feel of the CVT and actually started to like it. But the vehicle is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in.

I am taking it to the dealer on Friday because the back rest is visibly off-set to the right of the seat bottom. I sent the service manager a pic that clearly shows this, and he acknowledged it but said it might be "in spec" even though the right back bolster pushes you off center in the seat (I guess we'll see tomorrow, cross your fingers). Anyhow I know that at this point I'll just have to tolerate it for the time being. It is a bit of a disappointment because I was really excited about owning my first new car and a "limited" at that, but I suppose there are worse things in life then a uncomfortable vehicle you have to pay $400 a month for.
<O:p</O:p
I'm going to hold off a few months, pay it down, then possibly trade it for something else; I got a good deal on it and put down a solid down payment so I should make out OK in the trade. However I welcome any suggestions on how to make this car actually comfortable? I would love to start loving it!<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not match the passenger side, that side is lined up perfect. The passenger side seat is also much more comfortable, my butt doesn't sink to the floor like it does on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
One of the things I really liked about the outback was that it was extremely comfortable!

I haven't put very many miles on mine yet, but compared to my previous vehicles it's probably the most comfortable I've had. Hopefully the dealer replaces your driver seat as defective and that you find it much more comfortable.

:gasp:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5
58 Posts
One of the things I really liked about the outback was that it was extremely comfortable!

I haven't put very many miles on mine yet, but compared to my previous vehicles it's probably the most comfortable I've had. Hopefully the dealer replaces your driver seat as defective and that you find it much more comfortable.

:gasp:
I agree, very comfortable seats (even coming from a 2005 Lexus GS300) I am guessing it's a defect that should be replaced.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
I would press the dealer to replace the seat since it's only been 800 miles and there's clearly an issue.
I agree with this. I'm guessing SoA will take care of it for you!!!

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Hope you get that replaced! I've logged plenty of miles in my OB and am rarely uncomfortable. And I just have the base model.

Let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I assume you test drove one before buying and were happy with the seat comfort. Try another one on the dealer lot and see how different it is from yours. Sure sounds like something is wrong. Mine's VERY comfortable, even for 12 hour days on a drive from MI to FL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did test drove several and didn't have issues like this. I have tried numerous positions and it doesn't seem to help. My 30 minutes commute is becoming excruciating. I have been spending an hour on a heating pad at night to deal with the pain. I feel silly complaining about this, but my 1983 Jeep CJ feels like a sofa compared to the outback. I hope the dealer finds something wrong, otherwise ill have to limit the outback to short distance drives only, hey at least the resale will be high because of the low mileage

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Observation by the SEAT of my pants:

My 2013 Outback Limited has very COMFORTABLE seats and yes we found this out before purchasing. :D

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
It grew on me to be honest. The first few weeks kind of like you were not the most comfortable for me as I felt the right side of the back support was not straight and the opposite when in the passenger seat. Honestly my passenger seat feels weird to me period but I only sit there when showing off the car to friends.

Now I find the driver's seat so very comfortable as well as the rest of the ride. That is the 1 compliment I know for a fact everyone who rides in that car comes out saying after riding in it for the first time. It might grow on you it might not...we are not built the same and sometimes that is a good thing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 premium, NON pzev!
43 Posts
My 30 minutes commute is becoming excruciating. I have been spending an hour on a heating pad at night to deal with the pain.
SERIOUSLY??? Your 30 minute commute is excruciating!!!

Unless there is something clearly "wrong" with the seat.....I would diagnose the patient with "buyer's remorse".
No I'm not a psychiatrist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!!!!

I hate to be such a skeptic with complaints like this, but in today's world of unfettered litigation who would not be suspicious. If there is a problem with the seat it should not be subjective, rather a clear defect that can be shown and proven! :gasp::gasp:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I chose the Outback over the CRV becuase of the comfort. So far its one of the most comfortable cars Ive owned in 40 years of driving, and I do have long time back problems.

YES if the seat appears to be faulty you should be made satisfied by the dealer and by Subaru. You should not be feeling unusual pain after drivng for just a 1/2 hour. I hope they fix it for you at their expense. I think you should consider trading it in for another Outback. First test drive another Outback for the 1/2 hour period and see if the seat is uncomfortable. A 1-2 hour test drive is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Have you checked the lumbar adjustment? It's been reported there is a cheap S hook connecting an adjusting cable that can break which only allows one side of the seat back to adjust creating an uneven back.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts

post a pic please.

my '13 seat is really comfortable. i'm sure once you get your issue resolved you'll be happy with the car's seat. good luck.

After much exhaustive research, I decided to make a 2013 Outback Limited my new car. Having owned the car for almost 2 weeks (and 800 miles) I have begun to accept the enormity of my mistake. Don't get me wrong I like the car's drivability, the gas mileage has been pretty good (28 mpg), and I have even adapted to the feel of the CVT and actually started to like it. But the vehicle is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in.

I am taking it to the dealer on Friday because the back rest is visibly off-set to the right of the seat bottom. I sent the service manager a pic that clearly shows this, and he acknowledged it but said it might be "in spec" even though the right back bolster pushes you off center in the seat (I guess we'll see tomorrow, cross your fingers). Anyhow I know that at this point I'll just have to tolerate it for the time being. It is a bit of a disappointment because I was really excited about owning my first new car and a "limited" at that, but I suppose there are worse things in life then a uncomfortable vehicle you have to pay $400 a month for.
<O:p</O:p
I'm going to hold off a few months, pay it down, then possibly trade it for something else; I got a good deal on it and put down a solid down payment so I should make out OK in the trade. However I welcome any suggestions on how to make this car actually comfortable? I would love to start loving it!<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Stay on your dealer about it...It'll get fixed.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Dump it and take the loss.
After reading your comments in this thread and others your mind is made up.
Why live with something that is "excruciating"?
You have the old jeep, get the beater out of storage (who stores a jeep in winter?) and drive it and sell the OB.
Life is too short live with something as miserable as you describe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Insults are misplaced

The only thing I will say about the insulting post is that I am not a "big boy". I would not consider a 34" waist at 6'2" and 185 lb too big for the seat. I also run 2-3 days a week and swim 2000 yards twice a week, so i am no couch potato. Also the payment is not a stretch for me and I needed a new car so this was not an impulsive purchase. As a math professor I am more then aware of how car payments work... Ok enough of that :). I am going to try a rolled up towel today, I heard that can help.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts