Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 LTD 2.5i
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help of my extremely helpful brother and everybody here at subaruoutback.org I just purchased my first Outback. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase.

Not being too familiar with Subaru I have a question or two.

My vehicle did not have a "service manual" - not sure if that's the correct term. Basically the little book that usually comes with a vehicle in which the service intervals are indicated and where the dealer or maintenance person stamps that the services were in fact completed. I'm pretty sure I need a complete record to keep my warranty intact. The carfax report does indicate a complete service record, and the vehicle was sold to me as Certified Pre-Owned by the Subaru dealer.

- Is there a way to have the "book" replaced?
- Is there a way for me to see Subaru's records on the vehicle online?
- When I have services done, am I required to used a Subaru dealer, or can I use a local place familiar with Subaru - warranty wise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
1. Yes, the dealer will sell you the owners manual. Keeping service receipts is preferred over stamping books.
2. No, unless the previous owner tracked the service on MySubaru. A dealer might give you the service records but is not obligated to do so.
3. Anyone can service your Subaru, you are not required to use a dealer to keep the warranty in effect. Just keep your receipts.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Register with mysubaru.com

From there you can track all of your maintenence, and any maintenence done through Subaru will automatically be tracked. There are links for service intervals and a free pdf owners manual.

Subaru will not transfer any records from the previous owner, I've tried.

By book, do you mean the owners manual? Or are you specifically looking for a seperate book to record service? I have had 3 new Subarus and never had a seperate book, however the back of the owners manual does have a ledger.

If you want an owners manual, check e-bay. I'm sure you can find a used one cheap. Or wait until you see the next "Crap I just totaled my 2012 OB" thread on here and ask them for their manual before the insurance company tows it away.

As far as warranty is concerned, you cannot be required to use the dealer, you just need to have valid proof that you maintained the vehicle per the warranty guidelines. I record everything through Fuelly.com and again on mysubaru. From what I understand, that should be enough proof. Of course receipts are a surefire failsafe.

·
Registered
2012 LTD 2.5i
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Created mysubaru account. :)

My previous vehicle had a section which was part of the users manual to log services and receive a dealer's stamp. I guess mysubaru now covers that - and keeping the service records from my local mechanic.

Thanks guys, peace of mind.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
I use my.subaru for both of my cars. But, the dealer input there is sometimes overlooked or incomplete or confusing. They might post something like, "Performed Service package 22-C", and it may not be clear what that includes.

but , overall, it's a good tool. i try to document all my self performed service there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts