Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got my Limited XT on Saturday and had a few small questions that I can't really find the answer to. So with that said, my silly new owner questions.

1) Any way to change the temp setting to C while keeping all the other stuff imperial (mph, gal, etc). I made a personal switch to C about a year ago (because I'm weird and why not, it makes more sense). I'm pretty sure the answer is no. But figure I'd ask.

2) The built in wifi hotspot. So thinking about this and I'm wondering if the LTE reciever in the car is maybe better positioned/antenna than on the cellphone sitting in the center console. So having my cell connected to the car wifi may enable slightly better connection than just straight LTE on the phone making carplay apps just a bit better comms. Thoughts? 20/mo isn't worth it to me for the hotspot part since I never have passengers, but if it has a better signal than the phone inside the Faraday cage that is the car, it may be worth it only for my phone.

3) Maps in the SiriusXM Travel link. I see that they have weather maps and such in there for some cars but I can't seem to find where to launch them. So I'm thinking that isn't a feature included on the OB. Anyone been able to find this? It would be nice to be able to pull up a radar if driving towards some bad weather to see what is going on. Since for some reason none of the nav systems seem to ever want to put a radar layer in.

4) I'm assuming that the fan speed on the AC is always manually set even in "Auto" climate mode since it doesn't seem to adjust fan speed at all. Correct? Coming from my 2011 Volvo where it did that made me think maybe I was just missing a setting somewhere to have "auto" mode also control fan speed.

5) Unlike on the Forrester/Crosstrek, it seems the only way to interact with/scroll through the top info screens is via the touch screen and not the lower left buttons on the wheel. Correct?

6) Any quick tips? Like change these 5 settings in the car right off the bat? I've been trying to get into the habit of turning on AVH when I get in. But any others that ya'll have found to be stuff that is day one "this setting should be set to this" type things. Already set my tailgate code and the seat retract thing.

7) How long does it normally take for the VIN to show up in the subaru-maps database. Been trying to register the car on there to get the map updates, but the "VIN is not found try again in a few weeks." Is it really a few weeks?

Thanks all! This site has been a tremendous resource and really helped seal the deal for my decision to go with the OB. Knowing there is a strong and knowledgeable owners group for the car is a huge help.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,436 Posts
1) Any way to change the temp setting to C while keeping all the other stuff imperial (mph, gal, etc). I made a personal switch to C about a year ago (because I'm weird and why not, it makes more sense). I'm pretty sure the answer is no. But figure I'd ask.

I can check on this later but I think you can have temp units in C while the rest are Imperial.

2) The built in wifi hotspot. So thinking about this and I'm wondering if the LTE reciever in the car is maybe better positioned/antenna than on the cellphone sitting in the center console. So having my cell connected to the car wifi may enable slightly better connection than just straight LTE on the phone making carplay apps just a bit better comms. Thoughts? 20/mo isn't worth it to me for the hotspot part since I never have passengers, but if it has a better signal than the phone inside the Faraday cage that is the car, it may be worth it only for my phone.

I don't think it's really worth the extra line to have the car hotspot. Especially if it's just you in the car. The difference in signal level is minimal (as the car is not a complete Faraday cage what with it's large openings for windows etc.)

3) Maps in the SiriusXM Travel link. I see that they have weather maps and such in there for some cars but I can't seem to find where to launch them. So I'm thinking that isn't a feature included on the OB. Anyone been able to find this? It would be nice to be able to pull up a radar if driving towards some bad weather to see what is going on. Since for some reason none of the nav systems seem to ever want to put a radar layer in.

They are included as a free trial if you get the navigation package. I believe you can pull up weather from the navigation screen but it never worked for me well.

4) I'm assuming that the fan speed on the AC is always manually set even in "Auto" climate mode since it doesn't seem to adjust fan speed at all. Correct? Coming from my 2011 Volvo where it did that made me think maybe I was just missing a setting somewhere to have "auto" mode also control fan speed.

When you click on 'Auto' again, it goes intoo a 'Full Auto' mode where it controls fan speed and fan direction as well.

5) Unlike on the Forrester/Crosstrek, it seems the only way to interact with/scroll through the top info screens is via the touch screen and not the lower left buttons on the wheel. Correct?

Are you refering to the top screen on the giant tablet or the one in the gauge cluster? IF former, you can scroll through using touch between different info screens.

6) Any quick tips? Like change these 5 settings in the car right off the bat? I've been trying to get into the habit of turning on AVH when I get in. But any others that ya'll have found to be stuff that is day one "this setting should be set to this" type things. Already set my tailgate code and the seat retract thing.

Change auto headlights to the highest sensitivity level.
Change Time zone to your own time zone since the factory default is manual in previous software versions.

7) How long does it normally take for the VIN to show up in the subaru-maps database. Been trying to register the car on there to get the map updates, but the "VIN is not found try again in a few weeks." Is it really a few weeks?

Depends, mine showed up in 24 hours but some people's took a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks!

1) Yeah it seems like something that should be easy to do, but can't find info on how to do it anywhere.
3) yeah it is weird, the 3 year trials show up for the travellink stuff on my sirius account, but it says not subscribed when I go to the Parking section of the app. I'll have to dig a bit more on this one and maybe give sirius a call to be sure all is good with the account.
4) Great! Perfect
5)Yeah I meant the tablet "info" screen stuff that is in the seperate dash display on the xtrek and forrester. Would have been nice to be able to scroll through those with the info button on the wheel. But minor inconvienience to reach out and touch the screen.
6) when you say "higheset sesitivity" do you mean for them to come on? I set that to minimum so they won't come on when going under a bridge or something based on a video I saw on Youtube. So you're saying go the opposite direction with them so they are more sensitive? Timezone I think is all good, I'll double check it though, but I believe I saw it was in auto by default with 504 when I was going through all the menus.
7) Thanks, yeah the maps are really old (2018) so was hoping to get them updated soon, but not a huge deal with Carplay maps also.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,436 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

1) Yeah it seems like something that should be easy to do, but can't find info on how to do it anywhere.
3) yeah it is weird, the 3 year trials show up for the travellink stuff on my sirius account, but it says not subscribed when I go to the Parking section of the app. I'll have to dig a bit more on this one and maybe give sirius a call to be sure all is good with the account.
4) Great! Perfect
5)Yeah I meant the tablet "info" screen stuff that is in the seperate dash display on the xtrek and forrester. Would have been nice to be able to scroll through those with the info button on the wheel. But minor inconvienience to reach out and touch the screen.
6) when you say "higheset sesitivity" do you mean for them to come on? I set that to minimum so they won't come on when going under a bridge or something based on a video I saw on Youtube. So you're saying go the opposite direction with them so they are more sensitive? Timezone I think is all good, I'll double check it though, but I believe I saw it was in auto by default with 504 when I was going through all the menus.
7) Thanks, yeah the maps are really old (2018) so was hoping to get them updated soon, but not a huge deal with Carplay maps also.
For SiriusXM, did you add your car's serial number to your SiriusXM account?

Unfortunately you can't scroll the center screen with the steering wheel controls. But I personally only use the three widget screen there nay way so don't find the need to scroll that screen too much.

For headlights, yes go the other way so the lights come on earlier. When going through tunnels you still need to have the lights turned on any way. As for bridges and stuff, there is a delay when the lights come on after the car detects low light. So on sufficiently shorter tunnels/bridges this is not a big deal. The only are where I find it a bit annoying is when I pull into my covered parking space. The lights turn automatically then but they are LEDs so I don't really care even if they are on all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. Sending a refresh signal now to see if that helps, probably will need to call them.

Yeah that is a bummer, but I have been leaving it mostly on that 3 widget one as well.

I'll try that out with the lights! Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Your are either metric or not metric all the way.
Lame. I'd do it but you know...mph and gallons make that tough. I'm amazed at how many cars don't have more granular settings for that. But I guess I'll have to live with F in the car. Not a big deal.
Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
1) Your are either metric or not metric all the way.
No way! I love metric, but sadly North America still measures based on the length of the Kings thumb or whatever it was that decided the Imperial system. Have always struggled with the eighths business....tenths, much better🤓

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
201 Posts
C makes no more sense than F unless you're thinking of the convenient 0C and 100C reference points. If you want to know if your tires are leaking then Kelvin (or Rankine) are the only scales that make sense.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,584 Posts
.... sadly North America still measures based on the length of the Kings thumb or whatever it was that decided the Imperial system.
For the fundamental units of length and mass, yes. Time, never (always been seconds).

But other secondary units that can be based on these fundamentals have either never come into common usage for their English units, or they never existed in the first place. And generally the newer the technology, the more pervasive the metric (SI) system is - whether you know it or not.

In my own area of professional expertise - Volts, Amps, Ohms, Watts, Joules, Coulombs, Hertz, Webers, Tesla, Farads, Henries, and Siemens are all SI units. I wouldn't even know of their English counterparts that may have once existed, if at all. In magnetics I do know cgs units, which, while not SI, are still metric.

You use rock climbing gear? You had better know ratings in Newtons, because pieces of pro you buy likely won't even spec in pounds.

Lighting? You'll be reading specs in Lumens or Candela, most likely.

Global warming discussions? All in metric tonnes and degrees C.

My point here is that we in the US are converting to SI, or already have converted, whether we know it or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts