Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the OBS SE with the 5 M/T. Many suggested I go with the 5 M/T over the 4 A/T. Would like to have gotten the WRX Wagon, but so far I'm pleased with this car.

Took it on a spin on a back road route - handles well, and really eats up the corners - not bad for a grocery getter. Can't wait for the engine to be broken in so I can have some fun this fall...

-steve

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Welcome to the OBS world. After the break-in and maybe a couple of tweaks, you will be extremely happy with the OBS. I have a lot of fun in my OBS, especially offroad. Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ahhh, another one, welcome to the club. I see people say "SE" but I don't know what that is. Mine has only standard stuff except for cabin filter, cargo net, splash guards. Oh yeah, and the "electronic" automatic transmission. Not that there was much choice around here, was lucky to find one 2004 model still on a lot. Right color too, Silver.

Did you get a 2005? I heard they were changing steering wheels to 3-spoked and I only like the 4-spoked kind. Plus I think they dropped the cargo accessory power plug, too. Or maybe this is only the 2005 Outback.

I love the way the car drives, my first AWD (no 4X4 or front-wheel drive before). Quite a change from rear wheel drive cars and trucks (esp. trucks!).

Although I've liked the stick-shift cars I had in the past I really am accustomed to automatics now. I think it takes some getting used to, with AT having all the control (minus accelerator and brakes to help) versus something you make your own gear with.

Don't know yet if it's the break-in period, leftover bad gas, or still a learning ECU, but my OBS has been a little on the sloppy side. Down-shifts lurch forward a bit (only from 3rd to 2nd, I think). Start from standing stop is overly sensitive. Have over 800 miles on it so far.

Dare I ask what price you got on yours? Don't feel obligated to tell, just thinking I got a good deal at about $19000 before trade-in and after destination charge+taxes. and no way to compare in real life here. No one I know owns a Subaru of any kind. Only downside has been to find out it was made in Feb. 2003, bought "new" just two weeks ago (as of tomorrow). Looked like sales of these cars are way down for my area, these past couple years at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SE is the Special Edition for 2005 - comes with 260w six disk in-dash changer stereo with sub woofer, arm rest extender, auto dimmer rear view mirror, chromed exhaust tip, and leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob.

The power jack is still in the cargo area and the steering wheel is 3 spoke.

I paid $19,024 plus taxes and tags. I believe it is a great value for an AWD car. My wife's Sonata was $18,500 and it is loaded. We'll use her car on the long family road trips and mine for the weekend get aways to the cabin.

-steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
da-baron said:
The SE is the Special Edition for 2005 - paid $19,024 plus taxes and tags.
Thanks.
That is a nice deal. I noticed the prices for '05 seemed to be less than previous year(s). A sign of declining sales in the USA, perhaps.

I might add the auto-dimming mirror myself, if I can, and upgrade the radio/CD at some point in time but not a priority for me. Definitely will get armrest extender*. Will tack on additional several hundred dollars for changes, probably.

* Finally came to the conclusion that either the Japanese are making these cars for people averaging 5 feet tall or are trying to prevent elbow bumping in off-road driving.
:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck finding one that has the M/T. There does not seem to be any Aquablue ones around either. I prefer the Woodland Green - looks sharp all glossy and clean.

Now - what should my first mod be? Short shifter?

-steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey, 7-spoke wheels! Look better than the 5-spoke. Dust deflector on there, too, eh? Better and better.

I wouldn't want to touch my Outback Sport decals after hearing all the thin paint stuff around here. I did remove the dealership decals from mine though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never had a car with a dealer decal on it - I refuse to buy a car with it - not even a plate frame.

Not going to remove any decals, with my luck there would be a sticky residue that would just collect grime.

Time to get a WRX hood and confuse the kiddies at the mall when i drive by ;)

-steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Outback Sport decals come off super easy and don't leave anything behind. I was a little hesitant but once I got the small Outback sticker off I realized how easy it is and it makes it look a lot better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congratulations on the new car. The rear wing is a big improvement to the car's looks, I think, so that's something I added to my '04. We're not getting the SE model up here so I'm also curious what this aqua blue colour looks like.

I was also wary of pulling the decals off the rear doors, but on a warm day they came right off with no residue left behind. Very easy and I'm glad I did, since it's a much cleaner look without them.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Looks great. I like the color! :) The spoiler is a nice touch too. And like others have mentioned, now that they are brand new those stickers are super easy to take off. You won't be able to do the hood swap without incurring the cost of repainting the wrx hood. They did not make the WRX in that woodland green color.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ahhh, okay, good to hear that the decals should peel off easily. Hopefully same goes for when it's been on for 1 ½ years already. Thanks for those comments, makes me feel better about removing those. I also think it should look better without them. Although, I'm probably not going to remove the AWD window stickers.

Speaking of decals... can't understand my OBS having a security one on the driver's window. It didn't have the "security upgrade" on the invoice. Curiously enough I found two screw holes put into the plastic lower dash panel below left of the steering wheel which makes no sense at all to me.

Keeps me wondering about this car. No VIN event record, yet 228 miles on it and 1 ½ years since manufacture. I had a feeling this was about what it would be like by not ordering a 2005 fresh off the boat. ;) Worries of odometer rollback, etc.

Good thing it's a great ride.

P.S. I mentioned dust deflector on da-baron's OBS, realized after posting it was the spoiler. Just happens to go in the same place.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
congrats, welcome, beautiful car, stealth color wd blend in nicely in wooded setting.

look at the OBS forum for lots of info on mod.s. for 1st $500-800 and no major disassembly, i'd suggest, in roughly this order:

uprated headlight bulbs, silverstar or similar $35 with shipping
same for fogs or install better ones $35-75
Home Depot CAI $0-20
washable high-flow airfilter in stock airbox $50-75
WRX rear anti sway bar $75 w/ shipping
aluminum rear bar end links/solid bushings $85-125 w/ ship
polyurethane shifter bushing $25 w/ ship
WRX exhaust $100-150 w/ ship
muffler shop install of exh $25-50
Hella FF driving lights $40-70 w/ ship
WRX grille to cut out for lights $40-50 w/ship

the above is actually abt what i paid for this stuff via ebay. each of these gives you really good bang for buck and won't terrorize spouse too much due to tearing new car too far apart. rear bar will do more than any of the other stuff to make it drive more like WRX...easier to rotate around corners controllably using throttle.

bodyman trick for removing any decals is softening with hair dryer a few inches from decal.

so i'm not the only one who's gotten strange looks at dealers when i ask how much they're going to discount the car for me toting around their advertising....

i think scoop may just bolt on if you don;t mind a little drilling of new paint and don't care abt function. i've seen several on ebay at reas prices, and scoop itself is small enough that you could probably paint with touch up spray can from dealer. WRX seats and grille drop right in too. considering all the WRX owners who pull their emblems too, you might be ableto buy and install THEIR badges if you really want the rex look....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was joking about the scoop - i don't have the turbo, therefore, it's all show and no go...

which OBS forum are you referring to?

-steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i must be missing something - there aren't very many messages in this forum - i guess i'll have to read each one ;)

-steve

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
9 Participants
roo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing