Subaru Outback Forums banner

New owner of 2011 Outback - Can CVT transmission be dependable in the long run, or is it destined for failure?

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  aggreX 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Outback Premium -the car has 110k miles on it and has been kept in really good shape. I bought it from a private seller for what I consider a really good price ($5300). She was always diligent with maintenance and provided me all records. I even took the car to a mechanic before purchase and he gave it the all-clear, less tires that will need to replaced in the next 1-2 years.

While I am thrilled to own my first Subaru, stories about the earlier CVT transmissions haunt me. My question is as follows: is the failure of the CVT transmission in my car inevitable, or are there people who have owned Outbacks from the same generation that haven't had any issues?

I know Subaru extended the warranty on these CVT transmissions, but my car would not qualify because of having > 100k miles. So, should I begin budgeting for CVT replacement now, or can I be diligent about maintenance to avoid the problem all together? I would love to hear from some of the more knowledgeable members on this forum :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm happy to be joining the Subaru club :)

Best,

-Ian

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't have to worry with replacing the CVT. The problem with the CVT is the valve body. Look through the records and see if it's been replaced and when. If it has been, it's got the updated version in it and all you have to do is replace the CVT fluid (Subaru CVT-F only, no aftermarket crap) every 50-60k miles. If it hasn't been replaced, change the fluid out and get on a 50-60k miles interval. Keep a good battery in it. Keep the cables clean and corrosion free as much as possible until the time comes to replace them. This depends on rust, salts, humidity, battery condition, etc.

I know of several CVT models with their original CVT and valve body. Most of them had their fluids changed out regularly.

If it comes to a problem with the CVT, you will know it first by a jerky take off from a stop. Some make a whining noise when the torque converter starts to fail and that's usually when previous problems have been ignored. The valve body for either runs $600-750 plus about an hour to replace. The amount of fluid necessary depends on which CVT is in the car.

#3 ·
You don't have to worry with replacing the CVT. The problem with the CVT is the valve body. Look through the records and see if it's been replaced and when. If it has been, it's got the updated version in it and all you have to do is replace the CVT fluid (Subaru CVT-F only, no aftermarket crap) every 50-60k miles. If it hasn't been replaced, change the fluid out and get on a 50-60k miles interval. Keep a good battery in it. Keep the cables clean and corrosion free as much as possible until the time comes to replace them. This depends on rust, salts, humidity, battery condition, etc.

I know of several CVT models with their original CVT and valve body. Most of them had their fluids changed out regularly.

If it comes to a problem with the CVT, you will know it first by a jerky take off from a stop. Some make a whining noise when the torque converter starts to fail and that's usually when previous problems have been ignored. The valve body for either runs $600-750 plus about an hour to replace. The amount of fluid necessary depends on which CVT is in the car.
Do you think my local mechanic would order Subaru fluid for my cvt if I asked? He generally uses another brand.

#5 · (Edited)
@Brucey ...have a video ???

edit: here.

#11 ·
The stalling torque converter issue is well known:

I also agree about replacing the CVT oil on a periodic basis. It isn't rocket science and just requires access to the trans temp value available through the ODB port and a level transmission oil pan. Ask any engineer; there is no such thing as lifetime fluids outside of the marketing department.

#15 ·
Hey all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Outback Premium -the car has 110k miles on it and has been kept in really good shape. I bought it from a private seller for what I consider a really good price ($5300). She was always diligent with maintenance and provided me all records. I even took the car to a mechanic before purchase and he gave it the all-clear, less tires that will need to replaced in the next 1-2 years.

While I am thrilled to own my first Subaru, stories about the earlier CVT transmissions haunt me. My question is as follows: is the failure of the CVT transmission in my car inevitable, or are there people who have owned Outbacks from the same generation that haven't had any issues?

I know Subaru extended the warranty on these CVT transmissions, but my car would not qualify because of having > 100k miles. So, should I begin budgeting for CVT replacement now, or can I be diligent about maintenance to avoid the problem all together? I would love to hear from some of the more knowledgeable members on this forum :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm happy to be joining the Subaru club :)

Best,

-Ian
Hello, I just bought an Outback with 100k miles on it and I am thinking about the same issue. How is your transmission now, in 2022?

#16 ·
The torque converter on our 2011 OB was replaced a bit over a year ago, under Subaru's extended warranty at 97K miles. To date, we have had no further problems. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.