Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2nd post, first in the new member forum.

Got a 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium two weeks ago.

Really love it, closest I’ve been to having a “new” car. Previous car was a 2000 Elantra wagon that I got in 2009, already worse for wear, and in the last year had a number of issues too costly to fix, was time to replace it before it finally died.

Considered a lot of vehicles. Wanted similar or more cargo room, similar or better gas mileage, and would last a long time. The Gen 5 Outback exceeds those and is much taller off the ground so I'm not bending down to crawl inside like with the Elantra (I'm 6-4).

Also, since I now live where it snows a lot, 4WD or AWD to be able to deal with deep snow on the long driveway, and for icy roads. I tested out a 2011 model in some snow 2 months ago and was impressed! Also checked out a lot of videos. Also really like the way the CVT provides better power for better acceleration when I need it compared to the Semi-automatic Elantra which would pop out of gear into higher revs if I tried to accelerate it too hard. The acceleration was the first thing I tested with the 2011 Outback I test drove.

So, to start with something I’ve been wondering.

The Haynes manual for the Elantra was quite useful to me for simple-enough things that I could fix as a non-mechanic. Other times, helped me to understand what the cause of a problem might be and/or what needed to be done by someone else or leave alone rather than for me to get deep into disassembly and not get it back together right (like removing the entire center console and shifter housing below it just to fix a loose wire on the back of the cigarette lighter socket - far too much for me but at least I understood what it would take).

So, I have looked for a Haynes manual for the Outback and can’t find one for Gen 5. The most recent Haynes manual for Outback I find is for 2005-2009, Gen 3. Only current Haynes manual that comes close is for the Legacy 10-16 and Forester 09-16. I know the Legacy and Outback share a lot but not sure if this manual would be suitable, and that I’d be able to determine what’s generic for both and what’s unique.

Is there some other manual out there that is about as useful as the Haynes Manuals are? Any idea why Haynes does not do Outback manuals anymore?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,558 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Factory service manuals are by far the best choice, and you can find them here:
Thanks, I downloaded the Zip. Wow, lots of info. Highly useful for for real mechanics. Not as useful for the average driver who can do SOME DIY work without being a mechanic, as the Haynes manuals can be (or as the case may be, to help find out what is too complex to attempt to get into).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts