Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2011 2.5 limited. A few questions:

Are the wheel moldings somehow functional or just a decoration?

What's up with the "upgraded" HK system? It sounds very thin when on FM with little bass. But on SAT it has decent even too-boomy bass. I have to cank it to + 8 on bass on FM to hear it much. If I switch to satellite there is the bass. Is this normal or is an FM amplifier shot? This car would be a real drag with the base audio system.

My Bluetooth connects the phone but I am not finding iphone contacts going in. Do you REALLY have to add one contact at a time?

I'm tempted to get the interior illumination kit. Easy to install?

I've decided against the iPod install because it looks like the interface leaves a lot to be desired. I can do the auxillary jack for free. A good call?

I like the car so far but I am having to resign myself to the acceleration. Which I knew about via a test drive. I told myself this will be my practical car. if I want to go fast it will be in the other car.

My daughter and I are taking it Down a steep gravel road deep into the woods over a low water crossing for a camping trip this weekend. The camp site is not accessible by BMW coupe.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
wheel arches do have some use, here in the desert i have a few dents where the wheel archs would go, and scrachs as well so...kinda just depends on where you live lol

i just put some Polk audio in my outback i had the stock setup first, but i seem to have the same problem with my FM but to CDs because i don't have sat, so yeah, there is some stuff to kick up the sound its under menu but i don't know how it works with the sat...

there is an option in blue connect to import phone book but my phone or my car doesn't give me the option to transfer everything into....i use droid 3

the illumination kit looks hard but i don't know off hand

i don't have an iphone or ipod so i don't know sorry but i like my aux :29:

and for camping this thing is quite good for what ever u need to do, also i am assuming you have the 2.5 cvt, which doesn't seem like much but it does work quite well, i gone over lots and done lots that i didn't think i could

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
There was no way I could accept the 2.5L after driving both engines given the type of use we intend to put this OB to. I was pretty impressed with the HK system given I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. I was more than willing to give up a few miles per gallon to be able to tow my jetski and be able to tackle mountains in the west.
I will be learning like you are how to implement my Iphone and Ipod into the OB so interested in the answers to those questions as well...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 2.5 limited. A few questions:

I like the car so far but I am having to resign myself to the acceleration. Which I knew about via a test drive. I told myself this will be my practical car. if I want to go fast it will be in the other car.

My daughter and I are taking it Down a steep gravel road deep into the woods over a low water crossing for a camping trip this weekend. The camp site is not accessible by BMW coupe.
The V6 was very tempting after test drive, but the 5 speed auto paired with the V6 feels very coarse compared to the CVT.

We opted for the 2.5 and only rarely miss the extra power of the V6, while we always enjoy the improved MPG and smooth CVT operation.

You'll get used to it : ) (But yes, it helps to have a fast car to drive when you don't need the OB capabilities!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
There was no way I could accept the 2.5L after driving both engines given the type of use we intend to put this OB to. I was pretty impressed with the HK system given I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. I was more than willing to give up a few miles per gallon to be able to tow my jetski and be able to tackle mountains in the west.
I will be learning like you are how to implement my Iphone and Ipod into the OB so interested in the answers to those questions as well...
You guys should just try the USB capabilities first, before jumping through hoops to get your iPod working.
A 32GB USB drive can be had for $20-$30 and works great through the factory interface. Plus, you don't have to worry about heat/theft/charging as you would with an ipod.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
You guys should just try the USB capabilities first, before jumping through hoops to get your iPod working.
A 32GB USB drive can be had for $20-$30 and works great through the factory interface. Plus, you don't have to worry about heat/theft/charging as you would with an ipod.
I have an olderer 1st gen ipod touch that I just wiped and loaded with music only. I'm going to get a shorter cable and just leave it in the console. The only thing I use my newer Iphone for is bluetooth streaming with Pandora and phone calls. Otherwise USB storage is the best route.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The V6 was very tempting after test drive, but the 5 speed auto paired with the V6 feels very coarse compared to the CVT.

We opted for the 2.5 and only rarely miss the extra power of the V6, while we always enjoy the improved MPG and smooth CVT operation.

You'll get used to it : ) (But yes, it helps to have a fast car to drive when you don't need the OB capabilities!)
H6 - subaru has never made a V6.

Keep in mind that regardless of engine choice the auto's have heat related limitations on the towing capacity unless you modify the stock cooling and effectively find a way to increase cooling capacity to the AT. Having said that the new Gen 4 OB is dramatically improved regarding cooling capacity over the older gen 3 model.

I towed a 600lb 16ft racing sailboat up and down the west coast from San Diego to Seattle and over the Sierras for many many years with our 2001 Legacy GT 2.5 non turbo 5spd MT. Zero issues great car. The New OB has towed our 21ft racing sailboat which is 1700lbs with very basic gear behind the car - the 2.5 tows it well but when facing a 1700mile trip from SF to Dillon Colorado in August I opted for a friends Yukon for the high speed Nevada section which posted temps in the 100+ range. The 2.5 would have done the trip easily but we would not have crossed NV at 80mph with the AC running.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
With the 21footer which sits flat and is 8.5ft wide and nearly level with the roof line on the OB - I run between 16mpg at 70mph with a head wind on the flats to 21mpg at 65mph with no head wind on the flats that is with the 2.5 cvt. Power has never been much of an issue with the 2.5 and CVT while towing - the only concern and was the same issue with our old 2.5 was your cooling capacity on long climbs.

CVT is rated at 1350lbs at 104+outside temps at 5+mile climbs
The 5spd AT in the 3.6 is rated at 1500lbs ^ same conditions as above
All related to the stock cooling capacity

The CVT has proven to be great for towing so far. I also have a 880lb 4x6 utility/tent trailer which we take camping and we run between 21-26mpg in mixed hilly 60-65mph speeds. This trailer would be very similar to your classic PWC on a single wide trailer. The 2.5 hauls it easily you almost don't even know its there - accelerating up decent grades is easily done. Given many years traveling and towing with the 2.5 my target weight for our camping rig was 1200lbs or less empty given I'm a firm believer that regardless of engine 3.6 or the 2.5 the Ob or Legacy which is what we towed with for 11yrs - handles 1500lbs or less in a manner that you can easily take anyplace in any conditions. 1700lbs and up regardless of the engine choice the weight on the chassie and loads on the cooling will pose challenges on long hot trips crossing major passes.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT Premium
32 Posts
I woulda liked the h6 as well but opted for the more practical h4. We tow a small fishing boat (<900#) without any issues, mountains, high winds, still get mid 20's mpg. However taking it crawling through forest roads it does want to heat up to the point that I can smell coolant but no lights, unimpressed with that.
I'm actually impressed by the stock stereo system as I expected worse, lots of base. But usually i just hook up my mp3 through the aux jack and am happy.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The illumination kit is not hard but is involved. If you are at all interested do the sills at the same time-they use the same harness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

I don't get the USB comment. The USB port comes with the same deal that has iPod integration, no?

I'm curious how you get songs on a USB drive in any way that's organized.

Yes, the power sucks, but it has a relatively agressive tip in so it feels better from a stop than it really is. But the power is adequate. Barely. I would have loved to have the 6 but the only rationale for this car was "practical." this is supposed to be my fun, rational, utilitarian car. Plus a used 6 in good condition with options is relatively uncommon compared to the 2.5.

If I want to go fast there are about 345 wheel hp in my "enhanced" BMW.

Which reminds me -- isn't there a Subaru turbo that will fit on this engine? Where's the forced Induction forum here? (and so it begins...)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
Which reminds me -- isn't there a Subaru turbo that will fit on this engine? Where's the forced Induction forum here? (and so it begins...)
Also interested in above :D

·
Registered
2013 Brilliant Brown Pearl Outback 3.6 Limited w/ SAP; 2011 Marine Blue Pearl Forester XT Touring
6 Posts

CVT not built to handle additional torque/hp if turbo was put on. Also I believe putting a turbo on the engine would require you to “beef up” other parts of the engine….heads,etc. Sucks that Subaru has not put a turbocharged 4 in the MY10-13 Outbacks. I love the engine in my Forester XT. In the future I hope Subaru revisits the idea of turbo 4’s in the Outback.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
CVT not built to handle additional torque/hp if turbo was put on. Also I believe putting a turbo on the engine would require you to “beef up” other parts of the engine….heads,etc. Sucks that Subaru has not put a turbocharged 4 in the MY10-13 Outbacks. I love the engine in my Forester XT. In the future I hope Subaru revisits the idea of turbo 4’s in the Outback.
Cheaper more reliable option is just to get the 3.6 which is why subaru sells the 3.6 in the OB. The handling ability of the OB suspension pretty much makes even the 3.6 pointless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point on the 3.6 option. Finding one a year old used seemed difficult. Please help me understand what you mean about ob suspension and handling makes the 3.6 pointless?

Do you mean because of the high level body roll, etc? Meaning you can't benefit much from more power?

I am having serious buyers remorse. I had a Prius cab driver in Chicago beat me out of a light and get into my lane. Maybe I am not of suitable serene temperament to own a car with only 176 or whatever horsepower. But I do like 31.5 mpg at 70 mph.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good point on the 3.6 option. Finding one a year old used seemed difficult. Please help me understand what you mean about ob suspension and handling makes the 3.6 pointless?

Do you mean because of the high level body roll, etc? Meaning you can't benefit much from more power?

I am having serious buyers remorse. I had a Prius cab driver in Chicago beat me out of a light and get into my lane. Maybe I am not of suitable serene temperament to own a car with only 176 or whatever horsepower. But I do like 31.5 mpg at 70 mph.
Where I live we have things called canyon and coastal roads which are very narrow and have lots of 180 degree hair pin turns the 2.5 Legacy hammers through these roads easily leaving you with interest in more power the 3.6 Legacy makes sense! The 2.5 OB starts bouncing - skipping squealing bobbing and weaving before the 2.5 is even working hard.

You want a 0-60 sprint car you should have bought a V8. My V8 8 passenger SUV will smoke nearly every Subaru product sold at the stop light game except for the STI and WRX but they need to work hard at it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I lived in Carmel for 18 months so I know what you mean.

Dos the 3.6 have a different suspension than the 2.5?

My 2.5 definitely bobs and weaves. Seems downright floppy compard to my 335i. But ok comfortable Ina straight line, with no sudden moves.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I lived in Carmel for 18 months so I know what you mean.

Dos the 3.6 have a different suspension than the 2.5?

My 2.5 definitely bobs and weaves. Seems downright floppy compard to my 335i. But ok comfortable Ina straight line, with no sudden moves.
I was just in your area a couple of weeks ago caught the end of the car show madness. We managed to miss the 14 mile traffic jam headed north on 1 Sunday.

Suspension on the OB is the same for the 2.5 and the 3.6 same car different engines

Wife and spent 11yrs with a legacy GT Limited with the non turbo 2.5 loved the car! Did the wild Flower Tri a few years - towed our racing boat up to Huntington Lake in Fresno for the huge regatta many times thats a car killing climb. But great car handled awesome and got the job done. I would trade the OB for a legacy wagon in a heart beat. IF they sold them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts