Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new(ish) owner of a 2013 2.5 model, approaching 100k miles. I was hoping to find some good resources of what all I should do to make sure this lasts us a long time! I will be doing most (if not all) maintenance myself. I'd love to make the assumption that all services up to this point have been done completely and on time, but unfortunately I cannot confirm that. We will be using it as a typical commuting/family vehicle, but also for roadtrips and occasionally offroad/backcountry camping.

With that said, if you were in my position what would you do outside of the normal 100k service per the manual?

Also, any "must-have" upgrades/mods that I should be looking into?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
155 Posts
If you buy a used car, NEVER assume the services were done unless you have the paperwork to prove it. The owner's manual should have all the service recommendations and for what miles.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
241 Posts
Before you hit 100k See if the Subaru Dealer will check the CVT if it is under the extended warranty.

Must Have upgrades: 19mm or 200 rear sway bar, I put a 20mm in and it has made a world of difference in terms of handling and ride quality!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you buy a used car, NEVER assume the services were done unless you have the paperwork to prove it. The owner's manual should have all the service recommendations and for what miles.
Agreed!

Before you hit 100k See if the Subaru Dealer will check the CVT if it is under the extended warranty.

Must Have upgrades: 19mm or 200 rear sway bar, I put a 20mm in and it has made a world of difference in terms of handling and ride quality!
Thank you, I'll look into the way bar! No noticeable transmission issues while driving or stopping yet, knock on wood, but I'll have them check regardless. Is there anything besides normal maintenance to be done if it's operating properly to extend the life?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
241 Posts
Agreed!

Thank you, I'll look into the way bar! No noticeable transmission issues while driving or stopping yet, knock on wood, but I'll have them check regardless. Is there anything besides normal maintenance to be done if it's operating properly to extend the life?
Check to see if the air bag recalls have been done, Also worth checking the PVC Valve.

Only things I've had to do besides normal maintenance are the front 2 wheel bearings and valve cover gaskets, and my Transmission's control valve body

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PVC Valve.
Takata air bag and windshield wiper motor recalls have been completed. I'll look up how to inspect the PVC valve and add that to this list.

1,600 mile road trip coming up in about 2 weeks so I've got some work to do!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
901 Posts
Another vote for the 20mm rear sway bar upgrade. I installed mine back in March and can confirm that it makes a world of difference on the highway, especially when dealing with crosswinds.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It's not a must have but at 100k I usually change shocks/struts to something more premium, like Bilstein B4 if you want a plush ride and B6 if you want firm for better handling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not a must have but at 100k I usually change shocks/struts to something more premium, like Bilstein B4 if you want a plush ride and B6 if you want firm for better handling.
As I look at my 2006 wrx with 206k miles on it with original suspension on it. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2005 Legacy GT (turbo) 5-speed Wagon had a failed right rear shock at about the 50k mark and that's when I put the Bilsteins on it.
I've put more engines in it that suspension work. LOL. I am planning on doing full suspension in it when I get some incentive up to put the engine back in that has been sitting on the stand for 2 years.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,715 Posts
inspect the CVT for leaks and if it is seeping get it replaced under warranty... also if you are adding oil start an oil consumption test...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
241 Posts
Make sure to also check the two ground straps going from the valve covers to the body.

Those are the worst I've ever seen so they need to be replaced ASAP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts