Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 Outback XT 5MT with 107k on it. The timing belt hasn't been replaced yet, but other than that it was very well taken care of. Below are the impressions I have got from looking through the forums. Please let me know if I am wrong or missed something important.

From what I have read the 08 doesn't have a filter in the turbo banjo bolt, correct?

A Scosche SLC4 seems to be the best option for adding aftermarket amplifiers to the stereo. Any other ideas?
Also, any suggetions on where to fit an amp with motorized seats?

If I want to log the car I can get by with the VAG-Com cable, If I want to reflash the ECU I have to get the Tactrix cable, correct?

I will be doing an oil change soon with Rotella T6, and a WIX NAPA gold filter (has anti drain back and high bypass pressure)

Thanks for all the help you've already provided and will provide.

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I'm surprised that nobody has an answer to any of the above questions. Not even a congrats on the subie.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Dunno how you fell through the cracks, I usually look for messages like yours.

There is a separate thread somewhere for new XT owners.

So anyway, welcome and congrats.

I'm not aware of the 08-09s missing the screen from the turbo oil feed, can't confirm that.

I just got back into the house from experimenting with a VAGCOM cable... I think I managed to get the only one that works perfectly with FreeSSM but not at all with RomRaider or Learning View. Supposedly it can be done but success has eluded me on that front.

I don't know the scosche kit you're referring to- I went for scorched earth, replaced the entire head unit. The one from '08 is nicer than what my '06 had, so I had more reason to blow it all up and start over.

Subaru mounted their outboard amps under the drivers' seat, even with power seats from what I can see. I've seen a few aftermarkets installed in place of the foam tray over the spare wheel. I didn't bother with an outboard amp when I replaced my head unit, though while I had the dash open I noticed that there is a decent amount of room in there.

·
Registered
14' 6-spd
20 Posts
Well, this is what I pulled out of my 2009 OXT:

I only use OEM filters since they are great, even on my 400whp STi that sees lots of track time.

I can't comment on much of the rest since I am an AccessPort guy but I tune for any turbo Subaru is the best medication. Period.

My OXT has the HK sound system so I don't really need more than that.

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

tazswing - that doesn't look like what I have seen in earlier models. Is it a replaceable filter in the same bolt or an inline filter elsewhere? Did you leave yours out as others have?

rasterman - From what I've read the 08+ uses canbus which isn't compatible with the vag-com cable.
The Scosche kit takes the speaker wires and turns them into RCA jacks. From further investigation it sounds like it is worth buying a powered converter instead(AudioControl LC6i) I have 2 amplifiers, so I will look behind the dash and if that won't work hopefully I can do one under the seat and one with the spare tire.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Thanks guys,

tazswing - that doesn't look like what I have seen in earlier models. Is it a replaceable filter in the same bolt or an inline filter elsewhere? Did you leave yours out as others have?

rasterman - From what I've read the 08+ uses canbus which isn't compatible with the vag-com cable.
The Scosche kit takes the speaker wires and turns them into RCA jacks. From further investigation it sounds like it is worth buying a powered converter instead(AudioControl LC6i) I have 2 amplifiers, so I will look behind the dash and if that won't work hopefully I can do one under the seat and one with the spare tire.
tazswing's picture looks exactly like the screen I have in my '06. There is a second one (apparently identical) on the other side of the engine for the active valve lift system. I have deleted that one from my car.

It sounds like the Scosche kit you describe is using loading coils to drop the speaker level outs to line level... which will color the sound to some degree inevitably. An active rig could possibly be better but I don't like band aids on band aids... as it is, the Subaru head unit has a loudness-based dynamic EQ, so calibration is only possible for one given volume setting. Granted, it's just a car stereo, not a critical listening environment by a long shot... but it just seems like paying too much for "wrong."

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Regarding the banjo bolt filter - That is the one inside the bolt. It is not replaceable. You have to replace it with the whole bolt+screen as they sell them together. People pull the old one out of the bolt to see how clogged it is. I don't know how anyone gets it out without tearing it up. I tried, but my was in shreds before I was done :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts