Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my daughter a Wilderness Green Outback “Cash”..
Her only real request was Wilderness Green..
I am leaning towards a 16 20k limited but wouldn’t mind having it be a Premium new due to the warranty difference. They seem to be about the same general price..
25 is about the max I want to spend.
I would prefer some of the safety features on the limited due to it being for my upcoming second grandchild and she is my princess but want best bang for buck. Personally would take the limited because I like the creature comforts in a vehicle. Her Honda lease is due in 45 days ? so I have a little time. Is the CPO premium worth the extra money?

Thanks

·
Registered
‘15 STi Limited - modded, ‘18 OB 3.6R - Process begun
77 Posts
Is the CPO premium worth the extra money?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It’s only worth it if you don’t pay what the finance guy wants to charge you. I believe there are two levels: bumper to bumper and power-train. If he/she says $2k, counter with 40% less. Hold out for as little as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may hold out for a 19 premium as it will include the eyesight standard.
I got a quote for a new 18 Premium for 26 and change.
The 16 Limted is 24k with just over 36k. I am awaiting to hear if they can put SAS gold on it due to being a few over.
I would have to add the 6 year 80k Gold Plus to be somewhat happy.
It is not CPO , Planet was $1840 for the Gold Plus..
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Did you do a search for a new 18 Premium with eye sight ? It should be cheaper than a new 19 Premium. Cloth seats maybe easier to clean with children than the leather seats. The limited also gives you some nicer options standard than the premium so its hard to say.

·
Registered
2019 Acura RDX, 2018 Audi TT RS
10 Posts
Did you do a search for a new 18 Premium with eye sight ? It should be cheaper than a new 19 Premium. Cloth seats maybe easier to clean with children than the leather seats. The limited also gives you some nicer options standard than the premium so its hard to say.

Not sure I understand your comment regarding the seats. Since most "leather" is really almost a form of vinyl, it's a much better alternative to cloth seats, whether children are involved or not.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,664 Posts
Not sure I understand your comment regarding the seats. Since most "leather" is really almost a form of vinyl, it's a much better alternative to cloth seats, whether children are involved or not.

Leather means a cow wore it. It's not "almost a form of vinyl".

But yeah, it's easier to clean vomit, ice cream, and baby food off leather.

Me? I'd find a new 2018 Premium with Eyesight at the usual discount. Outbacks don't depreciate enough in the first 2 or 3 years to justify buying used. If you can find an average mileage 2015 with a transferable 7/100k extended warranty, that would be where you'd start seeing enough depreciation to make it worth buying used. Just be prepared for tires & brakes.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura RDX, 2018 Audi TT RS
10 Posts
Leather means a cow wore it. It's not "almost a form of vinyl".

But yeah, it's easier to clean vomit, ice cream, and baby food off leather.

Me? I'd find a new 2018 Premium with Eyesight at the usual discount. Outbacks don't depreciate enough in the first 2 or 3 years to justify buying used. If you can find an average mileage 2015 with a transferable 7/100k extended warranty, that would be where you'd start seeing enough depreciation to make it worth buying used. Just be prepared for tires & brakes.

I think you would be surprised of how auto leather is really produced. While sourced from a cow, it's processed to the point after all the coatings that it is practically vinyl. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between some of the "synthetic" leathers used by the German brands and what passes as standard leather on most cars. The softer Nappa leather is a whole different product.

Here's a great article on the subject:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/interior-car-care/38219-understanding-types-leather.html

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Leather?vinyl gets very hot in the summer when parked in sun where cloth doesn't. You can shampoo cloth a lot easier to clean over the years.

·
Registered
‘15 STi Limited - modded, ‘18 OB 3.6R - Process begun
77 Posts
Leather?vinyl gets very hot in the summer when parked in sun where cloth doesn't. You can shampoo cloth a lot easier to clean over the years.

Leather is only hot for like a minute. Then it cools down. Cloth is nasty... traps dead shedded body skin and dirt and body oils... nasty! And the smell of someone has a bad habit of farting in your car, the smell hangs around and no one knows who did it. But with leather, you can’t hide the source...
Leather has a higher resale value if taken care of. I would never buy cloth again. Just nasty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the trigger on a 18 Premium with Eysight for $26,131

·
Registered
184 Posts
nice !!
Way better getting new imo.
I had the same dilemma in 13 when I bought a new 13 vs a used 11-12’
Great discount on the new one !
And just got an 18 3.6 limited.
?

Pulled the trigger on a 18 Premium with Eysight for $26,131[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went through the same thought process and bought a new 2.5i Premium in Wilderness Green. Do not regret buying new and glad to have the features of the newer year, the warranty, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts