Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Red with Warm Ivory Leather
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2015 Outback (3.6L) in for oil and tire rotation. Dealer 'service' manager says rear pads have 6 mm left - going to need replacement soon - fronts have 7 mm. As far as I know the pads are not dragging (checked them today).
This car only has 18K miles on it. Is this for real? Or is service department trying to make up some profit to support sagging sales?
Are there issues with 2015 brakes? I already replaced a windshield in this thing - more maintenance than I ever did on my 2004 Highlander - kept it for 125K miles and sold it to grandson. Maybe I should have kept it.
:surprise:

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
The typical new pad thickness is about 12mm. So you've worn roughly 50%. If you assume similar wear pattern, then your pads should last until 36k mi. But the metallic warning clip will probably start making sounds with 2~3mm left.

I think the service department is bit aggressive for work....

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,632 Posts
Took my 2015 Outback (3.6L) in for oil and tire rotation. Dealer 'service' manager says rear pads have 6 mm left - going to need replacement soon - fronts have 7 mm. As far as I know the pads are not dragging (checked them today).
This car only has 18K miles on it. Is this for real? Or is service department trying to make up some profit to support sagging sales?
Are there issues with 2015 brakes?
Issues with brakes? Not that I know of. 45,500 miles, second set of tires but original brake pads (and original battery). I've been to three different dealer service departments for routine service over that span (two while traveling: 18K & 42K), and the tire store (30K). No one has commented on brake pad condition.

"Location: Western North Carolina mountains" do you ride your brakes when going down long grades? I was there last week and can say there are many long, steep, grades in that area.

"Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Red". Oh! There's the problem: a red 3.6... no wonder your brakes are wearing faster than normal for most cars! ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah Oklahoma ... lived in Tulsa for years...... got smart and moved to the mountains.
I plan on pulling a tire and checking the pads myself.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
Trying to sell you new pads based on mm thickness is a very old and frowned upon tactic. To whit:

I once took my Explorer into the dealer for some recall work, if I remember correctly, and the service writer said that the tech noted I had 8 mm of pad left. There wasn't a tech recommendation to replace them, no noise and no grinding. Zip. But did I want to replace them today for really good price.

Knowing that new pads are around 13 mm thick, I asked if the service writer would call over to the Parts Dept. and find out how thick new pads were. Silence and a blank stare.

He snapped out of that moment and recovered by saying that 8 was a small number and that getting to 7 or 6 might be a warning sign to have them done.

He was full of it and got caught trying to upsell.

Reactions: jdog1

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe the brake pads are covered under the 3/36 B to B warranty? The OP's car is still under warranty!

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
He was full of it and got caught trying to upsell.
What's wrong with up-selling? Happens everyday in every type of business. Yet people only seem to get wound up about it in the auto industry.

You want fries with that........................

·
Registered
493 Posts
the rear pads on my 2014 OB need replacement at its annual safety inspection when it had about 32 or 33 thousand on the clock. I do a lot of stop and go driving. The front were okay at 47 thousand this year, but will need replacing in another 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
What's wrong with up-selling? Happens everyday in every type of business. Yet people only seem to get wound up about it in the auto industry.

You want fries with that........................
That's not a good analysis because when I'm at McDonalds I can decide if I want fries or to upsize them based on my own preferences.

Your comparison to brakes is misleading because the premise, for it to be valid, is that the consumer knows what the pad thickness is of new pads and then he's given the current measurement to make an informed decision and not one slanted by a service writer's intonation and shaded comments or suggestions.

Nothing wrong with upselling but trying to upsell a product to a consumer who doesn't know he doesn't need pads is not ethical. The dealership knows, deep down inside, the consumer doesn't need pads and is just trying to pry an extra $20 here and there from any consumer who shows up. It happened to me in the clearest of language from an identical service writer and I wager that if you started a poll here you'd be surprised by how many others have received the upsell for products they didn't need and the dealer knew it but just wanted to meet a service ticket quota.

Are you going to reply that the consumer needs to know the thickness of new pads front and rear and he's a dolt if he doesn't?

There's no ethical defense for service writers who do such things. None whatsoever.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
That's not a good analysis because when I'm at McDonalds I can decide if I want fries or to upsize them based on my own preferences.

Your comparison to brakes is misleading because the premise, for it to be valid, is that the consumer knows what the pad thickness is of new pads and then he's given the current measurement to make an informed decision and not one slanted by a service writer's intonation and shaded comments or suggestions.

Nothing wrong with upselling but trying to upsell a product to a consumer who doesn't know he doesn't need pads is not ethical. The dealership knows, deep down inside, the consumer doesn't need pads and is just trying to pry an extra $20 here and there from any consumer who shows up. It happened to me in the clearest of language from an identical service writer and I wager that if you started a poll here you'd be surprised by how many others have received the upsell for products they didn't need and the dealer knew it but just wanted to meet a service ticket quota.

Are you going to reply that the consumer needs to know the thickness of new pads front and rear and he's a dolt if he doesn't?

There's no ethical defense for service writers who do such things. None whatsoever.
It's salesmanship 101. Happens everyday in all areas of business. Burger flipper tries to sell you fries, shoe salesperson tries to sell you socks, furniture salesperson tries to sell you fabric protection, Best Buy tries to sell you maintenance agreements on everything, etc, etc. etc. Nothing unethical about it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
It's salesmanship 101. Happens everyday in all areas of business. Burger flipper tries to sell you fries, shoe salesperson tries to sell you socks, furniture salesperson tries to sell you fabric protection, Best Buy tries to sell you maintenance agreements on everything, etc, etc. etc. Nothing unethical about it.
It's highly unethical for the dealer to suggest, manipulate, hint or otherwise convey through false pretenses that services or parts are needed or necessary to a consumer.

Do you need believe the owner needed pads at 8mm or was it an unnecessary upsell?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
999 Posts
If your PC has a file in it called cmd.exe, you need our virus and malware software immediately or your system may crash and you'll lose all your data, your credit rating may fall and you could be a victim of identity theft. You'd better check and report back right away.

upsell?

I hate taking my car to stealerships even for recall notices. Every time I've done it, they tried to "upsell" something other than what the car was in for.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,855 Posts
I believe the brake pads are covered under the 3/36 B to B warranty? The OP's car is still under warranty!

AGREED!!! Subaru covers brake-pads for 3/36.... these should be covered by the manufacturer. What is the problem here?

After the mfg warantee runs out.... install METAL-based pads to get more life from them. (Manufacturers like to use ceramic-based pads because they make less black dust on your wheels.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I pulled a rear today and measured about 10 mm. I am going to ignore it and wait until the telltale starts squeaking. Then I'll put a set of metal pads in - do it myself just like always.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll be pulling front and rear wheels and checking / replacing brake pads on my 2015 with 100k on it now. I want to guess that the rears have finally crept into that 2mm remaining because i am starting to hear the squeeler. I'll post what I find.

·
Registered
506 Posts
After 100k the rear pads still had 3mm of usable pad left and were not down to the squealers yet. The very slight squeal we were hearing was coming from the rear brakes - started a few weeks ago - but nothing was clearly showing itself as the cause if it. I changed out the pads and am all set for another 100k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.