Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
After reading this Wa and Idaho and they missed Utah use salt in certain parts and cities. So what defines brakelines?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Hmm, I bought my New York car last year. My VIN should show up in the recall list, right?

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,089 Posts
The actual corrective measure, pasted from the linked letter from FHI to NHTSA:
• Scenario No. 1: If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected area will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax.
• Scenario No. 2: If brake fluid seepage is observed, the original center and rear brake lines will be replaced with new ones followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax.
The big question is whether the "wax job" will be accompanied by a lifetime warranty against rust perforation..

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
I wonder if they are going to recall them every year, haven't had mined out in bad weather,bought it 11/22/12 never saw snow on my OB. And we got are share here, just didn't drive it!

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
The actual corrective measure, pasted from the linked letter from FHI to NHTSA:
• Scenario No. 1: If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected area will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax.
• Scenario No. 2: If brake fluid seepage is observed, the original center and rear brake lines will be replaced with new ones followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax.
The big question is whether the "wax job" will be accompanied by a lifetime warranty against rust perforation..
I'd say no since the brake lines themselves don't have one.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake lines attaching to calipers or ? The brake lines do run underneath the car also.

I'm sure it's the "hard" tubing, not the flexible connection to the caliper. That's a wear item.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Subaru is recalling about 200,000 cars for brake lines that can rust and leak fluid, according to filings with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The brake lines on 2005-2009 Legacy and Outback models sold or currently registered in 20 "salt belt" states, along with Washington, D.C., can corrode due to a gap in a plate covering the fuel tank where a brake-line joint connector resides. That gap can let in a significant amount of salt water, especially when the cars are driven through puddles, Subaru said. The lines can then leak hydraulic brake fluid, which can reduce braking performance and increase the amount of distance needed to stop the car.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
I have never, ever seen a brake line rust and weep, they always rust and then pop a significant hole (when needed most). And I have seen a lot of rusty brakelines!

If the lines really are weeping it must be a materials defect allowing very tiny deep pinholes caused by the rust 'burrowing' through a defect.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I have never, ever seen a brake line rust and weep, they always rust and then pop a significant hole (when needed most). And I have seen a lot of rusty brakelines!

If the lines really are weeping it must be a materials defect allowing very tiny deep pinholes caused by the rust 'burrowing' through a defect.
Yeah I'm with you on this... seepage isn't a likely scenario, but bursting is.

With an '06 that has spent all its days registered in PA I'll be following this with interest.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hmm, my year/model/color combination is in the photo...bad omen?

My 2008 just rolled over 70k and was a NH car until I bought it a few months ago, so I'll be curious about this as well.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Obviously you are driving a deathtrap. You owe it to your loved ones to sell it to me for $100. :D
Multiply that figure by about 180 and we've got a deal ;).

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Beaner
413 Posts
So if I'm in a State that isn't covered and the brakes fail due to rust on the line in question and I'm killed in the crash resulting from said failure I could sue because they knew about it but didn't cover me?

Though I'm not sure that would be such a good thing.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
...and I'm killed in the crash resulting from said failure I could
sue because they knew about it but didn't cover me?
Yes, you're in luck.

Unlike hookers, lawyers can still screw you when you're dead.

Looby

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
So if I'm in a State that isn't covered and the brakes fail due to rust on the line in question and I'm killed in the crash resulting from said failure I could sue because they knew about it but didn't cover me?

Though I'm not sure that would be such a good thing.

Make sure you leave a note, about the brake lines.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
I haven't looked at the newer generations yet, but the past models had the brake lines feeding the rear running inside the car. The joint was on the passenger side, LHD cars, under the back seat near the fuel pump cover, where the lines would then go through the body and one goes to the right wheel, the other went above the rear diff carrier to the left wheel.

All the brake line repairs I've done were from that joint to the wheels, custom fabricating the brake lines and replacing the joint.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts