Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm looking for some new 17" original subaru rims for my Outback R, 6cyl. I am wondering, if i buy the seven spoke impreza/wrx rims, to replace my current 5 spoke, will it effect anything drive/handling wise with the added weight e.t.c? ( i am assuming they weigh more)

Or should i just try to look for the same rims? reason for changing, is that i have heaps of gutter marks on my ones. It will cost less to buy a decent set of used ones than to repair all my damaged ones.

The 7 spoke rims that i am looking at are in this link

17" Subaru Impreza RS/WRX G3 (08-12) Alloy Wheels 5 x 100 | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Willoughby Area - Willoughby

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
I had the same question before I found a new oem wheel. While I have no factual evidence to back this up, I am thinking that it would not be a good idea. The new wheel will have a different mass, weight distribution, and inertia. With the AWD system, you want all four points to be the same.

My conclusion: different weight -> different load in one corner of car -> bad for your system. Sure you may not notice a difference, but your also not going to notice a difference if one tire has more tread than the rest

I could be wrong but I wasn't going to risk it on my car.

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i ended up buying another set of original outback wheels from the wreckers. They were in much better condition then the current ones i have.

Thanks for the info for future reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts