Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 6sp Manual
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this car CPO 3000 miles ago. Now at 70k miles. Had to have the manual tranny renewed under warranty. Now I have the steering wheel shake issue. Beginning to think I got me a lemon

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the tires checked for roundness and balance?
Installed new winters on steel rims. Blizzak WS80's. Had the wheels balanced and got the alignment checked when I changed over onto the winters. Car ran fine for about 500 miles, then the shake started. So based on the fact that the tires were professionally mounted on wheels which were balanced and installed on steering gear which was correctly aligned I can only guess the issue lies with the steering components.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,092 Posts
was it shaking before? have you swapped the Blizzaks front to back? would it shake in the same manner if you switched back to the summer wheels as a test?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was it shaking before?
No

have you swapped the Blizzaks front to back?
No
would it shake in the same manner if you switched back to the summer wheels as a test?
I don't know.

Car is scheduled to go to dealership on Thursday. I will load the summer wheels so that they can move things around.

There's 14 inches of snow here with windchill at 16f. Not the kind of weather I want to be changing wheels around in my driveway.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I removed the plastic wheel covers over my steelies to check that the balancing weights are still attached to the rims and confirmed that they are all still intact. Then I drive home and the shaking is completely gone. I'm finding it very difficult to believe that something like a plastic wheel cover could affect vibration and shaking but the fact is that so far its gone.............go figure!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yup those wobbly ill fitting plastic hubcaps on steel wheels can cause a wobble vibration. So can a balanced tire thats out of round.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad it was an easy fix.
Lets hope so

Are these the winter wheels? Just chuck those covers in the trash.
Yes, these are winter wheels. Summer tires are on the alloys.
Only reason I got the covers were because my wife wanted shiny covers instead of black steel wheels showing. Personally I couldn't care less. Especially as these nasty plastic things eventually break and fall off anyway.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She shakes me, She shakes me not. She shakes me, She shakes me not

Anyone had experience with intermittent shaking? Sometime it shakes at a given speed and other times there's no shake/Vibration at all?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,092 Posts
do you feel only the steering wheel shake? the entire car? is it a forward/back bucking-jerking? does it change if you touch the brakes? any noise?

there are multiple places to inspect for wear so, you may need a good mechanic to look at and test drive the car - since it's intermittent, if you can find some speed/condition that reliably shows the problem, take the mechanic for a test drive.

inner tie rods, rear bushings on lower control arms, wheel bearings, rack bushings, ball joints, maybe even axles, etc.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I found out what I think it was. I had a lot of ice build up in the wheel wells. Once that was out of there the vibration and shaking stopped. I thought the friction of the rubber against the ice would knock the off or at least shave it down. I think the softer rubber of the snow tires was simply bouncing off the ice and causing the vibration. I'm hoping that was the problem anyway!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
merged threads,

one car + one problem = one thread.
Sorry.:6: I wanted to try and get an answer to a question regarding intermittent shaking. Although it was the same problem it was a different question and I didn't think it would engender responses within an existing thread. It's moot now anyway!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,361 Posts
Sorry.:6: I wanted to try and get an answer to a question regarding intermittent shaking. Although it was the same problem it was a different question and I didn't think it would engender responses within an existing thread. It's moot now anyway!
bumping the thread works too,

now,...if My Cousin Vinny was set in Michigan and not Alabama, (and actually shot in Georgia).

you could be discussing Ice in the wheels,

vs. Mud in the Tires (wheels)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
Anyone had experience with intermittent shaking? Sometime it shakes at a given speed and other times there's no shake/Vibration at all?
Sometimes when it's colder mine shakes worse.

Switched between two sets of tires, front and rear rotation, wheel covers and no covers, still shakes at 70MPH +. Never shakes at low speeds, and it was aligned April of this year. New wheel barring in the front right as it wore out before 80,000 MI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts