Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After noticing an increase in tire noise I removed the wheels on my outback to clean them and check for lost weights, stuck rocks in tread, etc. What I found was fairly bad unevenness in the shoulder blocks of the tires. It was confirmed by the dealer they would not suggest wasting money on trying to balance the tires, and I could either put more miles on them as it is not really a safety concern, or get new tires. Since winter is coming, and the tires are down to about 6/32's I am now waiting at home until new tires are installed with a road force balance and alignment check/adjust. My question is this-how many miles are people getting out of the oe tires? Does anyone else notice the uneven wearing of these tires? All in all 30,000 plus miles in an awd car is not terrible, and if I wanted to live with the noise, I could probably get another year out of them. After a little looking around I settled on the Continental Procontact eco-plus tire, which is a much better rated tire for a reasonable price ($141 each). It also has a 99t load rating instead of 98t and is supposedly an 80,000 mile tire. Hopefully I will be happy with them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm currently at 65k miles on stock tires and I should be able to get at least another 5k-10k of them (I have dedicated winter tires/rims and certainly wouldn't be using them during a winter at this point). About 90% of those miles are highway though too.

A lot of people on the forums seem to report that they get ~40k miles out of the tires before they feel they need to be replaced. I know I've seen someone else reporting 75k miles on these tires though, but I cannot recall the thread.

·
Registered
951 Posts
48k miles and will need my third set in another 5-10k miles. Alignment has been the culprit.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Traded in my 2010 OB with just over 30,000 on it and 7/32nds left on the tires. I rotated them every 10,000 and they had nice even wear. Didn't have any alignment or balance issues. If I kept the car to the point that it needed tires I would most likely get them again. I wouldn't want to take the chance on getting a tire with more noise or harsher ride as some found with the new Michelin Defender.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't wait to get rid of my OE tires. I've never had good luck with Conti's. When they wear out, I'm going for some Michelins, which I found to have much better wear and ride quality. Haven't tried the Defenders, though. I'll be sure to stay clear of them.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I found that with the tires over inflated they wear badly on the outer shoulders. Inflated properly they were wearing more evenly. Also I checked with three different gauges and found that rate of error between the tire pressure gauges to be pretty big and that was part of my issue given I had been using a gauge that was giving me low readings resulting in higher than normal tire pressures.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Haven't tried the Defenders, though. I'll be sure to stay clear of them.
Poke around the forums before you write them off fully. Quite a few people seem to like them a lot as far as I've read (you have people on both ends of the spectrum, as with most things).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went to pick up the car and, they installed Conti-pros, not the the pro contacts! The alignment was off slightly, but not THAT bad. They showed me were the label on the tire says pro contact, but on the side of the tire and the specs are conti-pros. It appears to be an honest mistake and they are going to put the different tire of my choice on, but I was a little disappointed. Oh well, I am glad they are going to fix the problem with no hassle. Now I am going to re-research tires. (the noise did go away though, so that is good!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got 62K out of the OEM tires and still had 5 to 6/32nds left on each but didn't want to tackle winter with them. Never rotated the tires. Not once as I never noticed uneven wear.

I actually put on the Michelin Defenders and am impressed at how smooth, quiet and soft they ride. They are definitely more expensive but I am very happy with them so far. Made me enjoy driving my car again...it's amazing what a new pair of tires can do for a car.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I got 62K out of the OEM tires and still had 5 to 6/32nds left on each but didn't want to tackle winter with them. Never rotated the tires. Not once as I never noticed uneven wear.

I actually put on the Michelin Defenders and am impressed at how smooth, quiet and soft they ride. They are definitely more expensive but I am very happy with them so far. Made me enjoy driving my car again...it's amazing what a new pair of tires can do for a car.
What pressure did you run in the continentals? I think that has a big role in how they run.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What pressure did you run in the continentals? I think that has a big role in how they run.
This is an interesting point. I tended to run the tires around 34-35 psi (on the gauge I have). I have decided to get the Hankook Optimo h727, that they can't install until Friday. They don't have them on hand and tomorrow is booked, so that's ok. Any feedback on the Hankooks?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
This is an interesting point. I tended to run the tires around 34-35 psi (on the gauge I have). I have decided to get the Hankook Optimo h727, that they can't install until Friday. They don't have them on hand and tomorrow is booked, so that's ok. Any feedback on the Hankooks?
I just returned from getting the BFG Touring A/T's installed 15 miles on them so hard to really say much. 2 miles on the highway though and I can say 100% that my shaky butt and wobbly steering wheel courtesy of the egg on the back and the tires that wobble after being curbed are now gone! Super smooth up through 72mph.

Handling can't say given the tires need to be scrubbed in a little before you really can tell if they handle different. As for ride the stiffer sidewalls do seem to transmit a touch more road shock to your back side. The usual cracks and pot holes on the local street just feel a tad sharper with the new tires vs the continentals. But nothing dramatically different to the point that the wife will notice.

The smooth vibration free ride on the highway however is a big PLUS!

As for snow performance I don't expect these tires to be all that different than the Continentals given the tread pattern and stippling are fairly similar so I wouldn't expect them to be over the top fantastic in the snow - but decent performers would be my expectation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just returned from getting the BFG Touring A/T's installed 15 miles on them so hard to really say much. 2 miles on the highway though and I can say 100% that my shaky butt and wobbly steering wheel courtesy of the egg on the back and the tires that wobble after being curbed are now gone! Super smooth up through 72mph.

Handling can't say given the tires need to be scrubbed in a little before you really can tell if they handle different. As for ride the stiffer sidewalls do seem to transmit a touch more road shock to your back side. The usual cracks and pot holes on the local street just feel a tad sharper with the new tires vs the continentals. But nothing dramatically different to the point that the wife will notice.

The smooth vibration free ride on the highway however is a big PLUS!

As for snow performance I don't expect these tires to be all that different than the Continentals given the tread pattern and stippling are fairly similar so I wouldn't expect them to be over the top fantastic in the snow - but decent performers would be my expectation.
Good luck with the new tires! Even with the new contipros our car is MUCH quieter...looking at tire rack it looks like we may take a hit on fuel economy with the Hankooks, but their winter tire tests and surveys say good things..

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Good luck with the new tires! Even with the new contipros our car is MUCH quieter...looking at tire rack it looks like we may take a hit on fuel economy with the Hankooks, but their winter tire tests and surveys say good things..
Fuel economy will be interesting. We were getting some of the highest numbers we have seen with the Ob in recent weeks however having bald tires might result in pretty decent mileage LOL The tread pattern on the BFG Touring tires is very similar to the Conti's so I doubt I'll see much of a change in mileage if any.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
21 Participants
pwrdbym
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing