Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Premium
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 3.6R Premium

Got a flat today, hit a pallet that fell off the back of a construction truck in front of me. Only hit it at about 5 mph (was turning into a grocery store parking lot) but it was enough of a jolt to flatten the passenger front tire. Felt like hitting a curb. Pulled into a parking spot about 50 ft away, and just as I was reaching the key to turn off the car the low pressure light came on. Opened the door and heard the hiss.

I put on the spare and limped the last mile home (thankfully this was at the *end* of my 25 mi freeway commute). I can't find any obvious damage to the tire. I plan on heading to the tire shop tomorrow morning for a patch or replacement.

My question: I have 7300 miles on the car and very little visible wear on the tires. If I can't patch this tire and need to replace it do I need to replace them all? Or will replacing just the one be okay? I'm concerned about the AWD system and warranty here - I wouldn't care so much with my other vehicles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
unless the damage is on the sidewall, it should be able to be patched (barring a severe cut) You may have just broken the bead. If not, you can buy just one tire as long a it is within 2/32nds of tread depth from all the other tires.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
If your other 3 have decent tread, it needs to be with in 1/4" circumference, which is about 2/32 of tread.

If they are more than 2/32 worn, you get get the new tire shaved to match.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. The wear on the current tires is barely measurable, shouldn't be a problem.

@Hammondc, I dig the pic. Mmmm dogfishhead.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
936 Posts
At the dealership its with in 3/32, so if all others were 6/32nd youd be getting 4 tires.
Also SOA wont repair any tire that's on the last line edge on inside or outside. Just the middle. If you're passed that Id recommend a shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up finding a small tear in the sidewall. Replaced the tire, the others barely measured any wear at all. I am kind of surprised that a small pallet of pressed wood would cause a tear at such a slow speed, but it's a reminder to be careful out there when I'm heading down rocky desert dirt roads. I'm so used to cruising around in my husband's Tundra that I need to remind myself of my Outback's diminished capabilities. When it comes time to replace these tires I'll be back here for recommendations of something a bit more durable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts