Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
That would have been fun to play with, but I got my '13 in November. It's probably ridiculously expensive plus a monthly access fee anyway.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Well, they have had a lot of warmed-over old tech in the middle of the dash for years... bout time they took a swing at something modern.

Yes, I'm convinced it will punch a hole in the resale value of the cars that receive it, because carmakers just. can't. make. good. car. stereos.

Nice to see them try though...

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,245 Posts
Well, they have had a lot of warmed-over old tech in the middle of the dash for years... bout time they took a swing at something modern.

Yes, I'm convinced it will punch a hole in the resale value of the cars that receive it, because carmakers just. can't. make. good. car. stereos.

Nice to see them try though...

amen. to. that.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
I hope it's better than what they have now. Shouldn't be hard to do, although it would not surprise me if it's not until the '14 models that they get the experience right.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I have mixed feelings about it- I've seen the other automakers pour money into this department and come out with half baked junk that looks dated in 2-3 years.

Meanwhile Subaru kept plugging in cheap standard-sized modular stereos (and more recently nav stereos) like it was 1997 all along.

I didn't mind that a bit, because they weren't raising the price of everyones cars with development costs, and the standard sized units were easy to swap out for good aftermarket gear.

Now they're going down the rabbit hole- probably already spent a bunch of money on it, it's going to have lots of the 1.0 mistakes, and the best I can hope for is that they will stick with standard-sized modules and bezels so that there are still aftermarket options.

Nothing like seeing a 15% ding in the resale value of the car because the stereo is lame, out of date and integrated so deeply into the car that a swap is not possible.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
The way I read it, this will be only in new 2013's with no retro-fits of existing 2013's. Did I read it correctly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The way I read it, this will be only in new 2013's with no retro-fits of existing 2013's. Did I read it correctly?
I am about to pull the trigger on a '13 with EyeSight and wondering the same thing. I can't find anything... Anyone heard an answer yet?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
CR had a shot of the "StarLink" unit in their Forester 2014, and it looks like it's a double-DIN module (for now). It also looks like the main feature is "Aha Radio" support. Much like the "HondaLink" system in some Hondas this year. In general, I'd say this is more a minor evolution based on a partnership with Aha more than anything else. There's not much here that the head unit is doing.

It was shown off in a BRZ at last CES: Aha Radio in the Subaru BRZ hands-on (video)

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Nothing like seeing a 15% ding in the resale value of the car because the stereo is lame, out of date and integrated so deeply into the car that a swap is not possible.
I have a hard time believing that any OEM stereo is going to hurt resale value. Aftermarket stereos tend to do that.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I have a hard time believing that any OEM stereo is going to hurt resale value. Aftermarket stereos tend to do that.
Agreed. When I traded in my '05 Impreza they were going to dock me $500 if I left in my much more option friendly aftermarket stereo in it. Luckily I still had my single disc, no option, OEM stereo to swap out.

I think Subaru learned their lesson on the '05-'09 Legacy/OB Limited stereos to keep the main unit DIN compatible.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Maybe it's just my recent experience with my '06 Limited with auto HVAC. If the car already had the double-DIN conversion in it before I bought it, it would have been worth more to me regardless of what actual head unit was installed.

When I wrote those comments I had another specific case in mind: the ford sync systems which aren't double-DIN sized and require you to use their touchscreens for non-entertainment features such as climate control, rear defogger etc. It won't take long for those to age out and become a net drain on the value of the car.

Hearing that this new system appears to fit in a double-DIN window is very good news.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts