Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post and I may be in need of some serious help. I bought a 1998 Legacy OBW in February with manual 5-speed and an EJ25 engine. My car has a lot of rust and isnt too pretty, but it runs and gets decent MPG. Anyway I have put about 10K on it since purchased and decided to give it a tune up.

I bought new O2 sensors, coil, plugs, plug wires and struts. I reused the springs and upper mounts when replacing the struts. When I finished the job yesterday the passenger side tire and wheels seems straight and aligned, but the driver's side is toe in pretty drastically.

I am wondering if I made a mistake when i installed the new assembly or if a simple alignment job will fix the issue?

Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
As long as the tie rod stayed locked down when you did the strut the only alignment angle that can change is the camber. Which could then affect toe.

Did you mark the upper camber bolt before removal? They do have adjustment and even just pushing in as you tighten it can change it almost .25 degree.
(I've aligned a few)

But as long as everything is tight align away. Theres quite a bit of adjustment for toe in the front end.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
Also, the top hat of the struts must be oriented. They have a definite side that should be 'out' ,that is, towards the fender. On some there's a hole - and on some a hole and the word out or an arrow, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts