Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just bought a 2013 Outback 2.5i with the 6 speed manual transmission over the weekend!

I love the car so far, I was driving around an automatic trans truck and have been itching to get back to manual for my daily driver! 2 days and I love the handling... still don't quite have the 6 speed down to a science just because my other vehicles that are manual have all been a lot lighter (miata, forte, rio).

Right now I'm wishing I had a good place to go try her out off road. This is my first non-2WD vehicle and I want to have some fun in it. I know it's not a jeep... but still, it's got some pretty good capability from what I hear.

Right now the main questions I have are:
1. Trailer hitch, what to buy!?!?!? I don't really want to drill into the frame, and don't know about cutting my bumper.

2. Roof mount bike racks, what to buy? Fork lock or full bike mount?? My mountain bike has hydraulic disc brakes so I've been thinking maybe full bike mount so I don't have to worry about mussing up the pistons.

3. Maintenance I should be on the lookout for? When should I do my first oil change?

4. Are the stock tires any good? I know I can research it online... just have not yet, and it's always nice to hear what other owners of the same car like.

5. Any recommended equipment or mods?

6. How much am I going to love having a subaru? :D

Oh and just a note... after driving around a truck for a while... I'm excited about having fold down-seats and huge interior storage/sleeping/changing/relaxing space.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to reply to my own post... also thinking about getting some of the "Weather-Tech" floor mats. I expect a fair amount of mud to get tracked into this thing but I'd like to keep it fairly clean.

Also hoping to find some decent seat covers for at least the front seats.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
still don't quite have the 6 speed down to a science just because my other
vehicles that are manual have all been a lot lighter (miata, forte, rio).
Yep, the OB has about the same horsepower as the Miata, but it's
1000 lbs heavier -- AND has taller gearing. The OB's 5th gear is
taller than my Miata's 6th -- so, you must drive them differently.

Think of OB as a 4-speed plus two overdrives, and you'll be fine.
Watch the tach (rather than the gear#) -- and don't expect to
see any decent throttle response below 2500 rpm. (The same is
true of the Miata -- but with the OB, you'll have to be a gear or
two lower at any given highway speed.)

...very different cars, both A+ for their intended purposes,

Looby

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
Husky vs WeatherTech Floor Liners

Sorry to reply to my own post... also thinking about getting some of the "Weather-Tech" floor mats. I expect a fair amount of mud to get tracked into this thing but I'd like to keep it fairly clean.
I did a lot of research before purchasing my floor liners. It was down to WeatherTech and Husky. I sent emails to both companies with questions.

Although WeatherTech answered promptly (a few hours), they offered minor assistance. You can guess my questions from their response: "The photo with the text at the top specifying "Subaru Outback DigitalFit FloorLiner Shown" is showing the 44259-1-2 that you would receive for your 2013 Outback. As you can see on the driver's side mat, there are two holes to accommodate the factory retention hooks."

I received an email an hour or so later from Steve Bower, the Engineering Manager from Husky. "The liner has a raised molded area that fits over the factory hooks. Keeps the liner water tight!" in addition to "Here are some images..." Yes, he actually went out to an Outback and took six pictures with demo liners in place.

Other than this awesome custom service, I went with Husky for these reasons:

1. Greater area coverage (see description below).
2. No holes for the driver's mat retention hooks.
3. Exact fit and "nibs" on back keep them firmly in place.
4. Lifetime Warranty (for the same price as WeatherTech's 3-year warranty).

The coverage was very important to me. I had the useless Subaru All-Weather mats in my Legacy which only covered the flat bottom of the floor and the drivers side one wore out at the shoe heel area. For the Husky liners, the driver's side covers more under the dash (it completely covers the left-foot rest, where the WeatherTech only covers half of it). And the rear-seat liners protrude more under the front seats and have a higher lip. I also received them two days after ordering with free shipping.

Looking on the Husky website, though, it looks like they're sold out right now! I bought mine the first week after picking up the car in October, and this never ending winter is proving them to be a very worthwhile investment. I will probably re-write this in a separate thread later, but here are some photos of the Husky WeatherBeater Liners in my Outback:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Do you have to pick up the drivers mat to open your fuel door? Is the lever covered?
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have to pick up the drivers mat to open your fuel door? Is the lever covered?
Thanks
The liner is molded solid over the fuel door lever, but it is recessed to be cut out with a utility knife. It was easy enough to do. In retrospect I may have kept the piece I cut out and fastened it in a way to flip open, rather than leave the lever exposed. I personally am very prone to resting my foot in that location. The liner is certainly flexible enough to lift and access the lever, but the "nibs" on the back are very sharp.

I just wish Subaru would get their fuel door lever off the dumb floor already. I have never had a problem beyond it just getting really dirty, but I do have a friend with a Forester where his lever got stuck from water freezing in the cable. I find it funny that Subaru has such innovative ideas for some things, and kind of lacks in others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With respect to the "Nibs" that Husky uses:

What does weathertech use to hold the mats in place?

I had a '90 Cadillac for a few years; the OEM mats had nibs, but they kinda tore up the carpet. They also tended to break off whenever I took them out to clean them and annoyed me, they were 15+ years old though.

The Husky seem to be significantly cheaper than the WeatherTech especially if you want front and rear. Does this translate to cheap-ness in construction or material? Either way... both sets of mats arent "cheap" though I suppose.

Thanks a lot for the point about the drivers side positioning holes, that is kind of a surprise from the weathertech mats.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
No drilling needed if you use the OEM install method on your hitch. Use search - search for OEM install method you will see various brands of hitches and get a pile of information as to which hitch brand has what or looks like X etc.

Stock tires are Ok not worth replacing till you have worn them out. So go drive your car ;-)

Keep a close eye on oil levels for a while every 500miles at least take a quick peak at the oil level. The new engines consume a little oil before they get broken in etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With respect to the "Nibs" that Husky uses:

What does weathertech use to hold the mats in place?

The Husky seem to be significantly cheaper than the WeatherTech especially if you want front and rear. Does this translate to cheap-ness in construction or material? Either way... both sets of mats arent "cheap" though I suppose.

Thanks a lot for the point about the drivers side positioning holes, that is kind of a surprise from the weathertech mats.
I think WeatherTech just uses a textured back to help keep it from sliding. Most people say that both the Husky and the WeatherTech are such a tight fit that there is really no room for them to move anyway.

Quality-wise, I only checked some WeatherTech liners in a local auto parts store and they seemed like the same quality as the Husky liners that I have. I'm not sure what you're finding for prices, but at the time I purchased mine, the Husky WeatherBeater and WeatherTech Digital Fit were both $169.00. The Husky site seems to be out of the Outback sets, but I found them on some other sites for under $150. Seriously, though, even at $169 they are definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Looking at the Husky liners now, I wish I would have gotten the front set for my OB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts