Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently moved to Canada and brought a cheap 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy.

I have basic mechanical skills with motors but I've never owned a Subaru. I'm just looking for advice on anything I should check/change regularly on this model.
I obviously know about regular coolant, oil etc... change to prolong the Head Gasket life.

All I'm using it for is driving it up and down the ski hill and the occasional road trip 2-3hours out of town.

It has 323000KM's on it and has the Head Gasket and Timing Belt changed at 260000KM's, so hopefully that should be ok for a while.
I've got friends with Subaru Outback with over 400000KM's on them, so I'm pretty optimistic haha.

Like I said it's nothing special and I'm not worried about it's looks. Just the little things I can do to keep it running fairly descent.

Cheers for any advice :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's the flat-four, right? Watch out for the knock sensor going, and be careful when replacing it. My friend crossthreaded the hole on the block for the sensor when he tried to check his and I have no idea how the car went after that.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
make certain you keep your tires all the same brand and wear. more than about 1/4" difference in circumference is a recipe for possible disaster.

NGK plugs, OEM or Denso plugwires and OEM thermostats are considered essential. Other brands lead to problems. Coolant work may require 'burping' or other special treatment to chase air from the system. The 5spd and front diff share fluid so, usually worth asking for recommendations on that instead of just grabbing some random gear oil.

usually a good idea to do a search or ask before tackling a system or repair. often there will be a good post with pictures or even links to video for many types of repairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing