Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, we’re at Mammoth now. Arrived last night & my wife said we got there a full hour earlier than usual. I said we didn’t go pokey up the grades.

Since my engine is still under 1k I mostly cruised it manual, occasionally throw it into cruise control to test lane keeping assist. That was funky tio get use to, even my wife noted the steer & correcto. Left. Right. Left etc. Not perfect & definitely not “fixed” as proclaimed by a YouTuber.

I got to the Sherwin grade at avg 28.4 MPG. It climbed the ~9 mile grade IMPRESSIVELY. Grade was 3* max, although it feels more since I suspect the car info app only shows 1* increments.

Here my Onyx did a steady 2200 rpms @ 66 mph. Car is loaded. Temps norm. My Cmax would struggle to do 50 mph eco mpg and any faster the engine would really whine with higher rpms even with its built in noise canceling.

In contrast, Onyx was quiet... Walk softly but carrying a BIG stick, of power.

At the top, the avg mpg was down to 27.2 MPGs.

One alarming thing is these headlights. The 14 is a single lane 65 mph but I kept getting flashers from the opposite lane. My lights was on auto setting, so it should toggle between high & low beem based on eyesight, right? At what distance does auto throw it back down to low beem if car is approaching from opposite lane?

Under auto setting, does the high beem icon come on if it’s in high beem mode? If not, how do we know if it’s high or low beem it has selected?

To me this is weird, I can understand the tech but imho, this extra tech seem unnecessary - auto should just switch on or off, not throw high beem on. As well, I really enjoyed reading the “overstrusting” verbiage in the manual. Not.

Other than that, it was a ver pleasant road trip. Very different & enjoying the turbo power. Sorry, pics later since I am posting from my Air pad ;& photos are in my Samsung

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks for that great write-up. The Outback, and all decently powerful turbos, really excel at going up mountains effortlessly. To me that's the luxury of having the turbo. Not so much that you can do 0-60 sprints, but just the way it has the lungs to practically loaf going up a long climb.

Others have reported that the auto high-beams work well, but that's not been my experience. When I first got the car I tried it, but it would use high beams when it shouldn't. It would only shut the high beams off when someone else was pointing their headlights directly at me. Cars that were 90 degrees to me were being blindsided. I wasn't testing in a distance/curve/hill scenario, but I imagine that it tends to use high beams more often than it should. I leave the headlights on auto, but the high beams on manual (off) unless I explicitly need them (which is almost never).

To prevent auto-high-beams, pull the turn signal lever towards you. To re-activate it, push the turn signal lever away from you. The high beam indicator should show when the car is using high beams, but don't be confused by the presence of both the headlight indicator and the fog light indicators.

It's just as well that you're not posting pics here. When you post your pics, it would be better in the "what I did with my 6th gen today" thread.

Have a great time at Mammoth!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@SilverOnyx you de-badged your rear XT logo? Did u also remove the AWD one as well? How does it look now? Got pic?

I’ve been mulling a murdered Subaru grill logo look with a vinyl. Still thinking since it’s $33 & not $10

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
@SilverOnyx you de-badged your rear XT logo? Did u also remove the AWD one as well? How does it look now? Got pic?

I’ve been mulling a murdered Subaru grill logo look with a vinyl. Still thinking since it’s $33 & not $10
Yes I took everything off - I will send a pic in half an hour. It doesn't look "better" as I actually liked the black lettering. It's just easier to wax, and I've always liked things plain. I'm the type that takes off the "intel inside" stickers on laptops and stuff like that.

The Subaru logo could use an attitude boost. When I had a Chevy Impala SS I replaced the silver bowtie with a red outlined one and it looked sharp. The Blue Subaru logo, to be honest, isn't the best look. If you're a Subie fan there might be sentimental attachment, but if you're not, then it's just meh - and I say that as a die-hard Subie fan.

Subaru should update it to be more modern. Yes it was originally about the Pleiades constellation, but it could be replaced by a more symmetrical looking constellation, or one star, or an S or something. Maybe one of the graphic design members in this forum could come up with something.

·
Registered
376 Posts
@Jus-An-Onyx
If Lane Centering is ping ponging instead of staying in the center. You might want to get your wheel alignment checked. I remember reading from one of the threads in the 6th gen forum someone having the same issue and said it was fixed after a wheel alignment since the factory alignment was off. Not surprising if Subaru got the headlight alignment wrong, too.

I've the auto highbeam turned off in my car(Honda). That thing can get you in trouble if it pisses off the wrong driver. :oops:

@SilverOnyx
Subaru needs a new logo. I bet most people don't even know what the logo with the stars mean.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tonight, I tanked with 25.2 MPGs. Much improved over the initial tank of 21 something MPG. Really enjoying the stock sound system in this car & the drive. Fast when I need it and also pokey-MPG-bias when I decide to play the game...
An improvement, engine broken in and slight increase in the tire PSI (40/38).

Now with 1,987 on the odometer, this tank used 15.943 gallons for 408.1 miles. Actual MPG = 25.6 MPG (rounded) while Onyx calculated 26.0

21 - 28 of 28 Posts