Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wasn't really planning to do this right away since I need to get the dent in the rear bumper fix but the original grill was plagued with hard water spots, rust and who knows what else. Tried to clean it with a number of different products but to no real avail. So I picked up a JDM grill, again.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
Tried the window cleaner but no dice.
the clay bar like YeuEmMaiMai says will get rid of some of it... for really tough water spots on auto glass, I've had to get a product designed for that - lots of glass polishes out there. Vinegar or lemon juice can get rid of water spots (need something acidic), but the products designed to do it have worked better for me.

·
Registered
2014 OB 3.6R SAP
177 Posts
I had terrible hard water spots when I bought my forester XT in 2016. I tried everything with no success. I lived with it until I had it tinted this past summer and asked them if they could get rid of them. Their detailer got 95% off and it makes a huge difference and looks so much better! I think he used some sort of glass polishing compound with a powered buffer (something I did not have, I was just using elbow grease). Maybe try that?

Now I just need to get my side mirror cleaned too and it will be finished.

Good luck and fun to read thread.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,329 Posts
before I installed a kentico water softener for my house, I had a RV filter on my outside faucet because our water was as hard as a rock... that will help with spotting of the car when you are washing it if the water is not treated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Tried out 'Last Cut Compounding Glaze' on the the hard waterspots on two of the windows and the side view mirrors and it removed alot of the spots. I need to work with it some more but I'm hoping it takes the rest out.

Took the Outback up to the highest point in Nebraska this morning - Panorama Point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just had the windshield replaced and Safelite couldn't get the eyesight system to recalibrate so I get the call the dealer on Monday and wound up with 4 codes - U0073 (shows up twice), U0122 and U0100. Searching to see if any of these are related back to the eyesight system or if the dealer cleared the codes before I bought it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
871 Posts
Tried out 'Last Cut Compounding Glaze' on the the hard waterspots on two of the windows and the side view mirrors and it removed alot of the spots. I need to work with it some more but I'm hoping it takes the rest out.

Took the Outback up to the highest point in Nebraska this morning - Panorama Point.
Wow, that is flat!! Nice pic

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Finally gave the Outback a good hand wash and wax and I got some work to do. Spent about 10 minutes just spraying down the rear and had dirt coming out of everywhere (previous own lived down a dirt road, I know since there was some info left in the car), got a load of crap out from the underside of the bumper and roof needs some work. Took some cutting compound and wax to it and it looks better but still needs work. I've gotten most of the hard water spots off the glass using the Last Cut cutting compound.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts