Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved to CO and, like a not-insignificant number of the population here, ended up getting a Subaru Outback. Mine is a 2011 3.6R Limited with the navigation and moonroof options, and originally came from CA. I toyed with the idea of getting a 2.5 but decided I wanted a little more power for heading up into the mountains. From the Outbacks I have seen so far out here, the 3.6R seems to be fairly rare.

There are a couple of minor niggles I want to sort out - the passenger-side of the front fender appears to have popped out slightly, and the plastic molding running under the passenger-side doors is also loose towards the back. I am guessing that the latter should be fairly simple to fix, but have a feeling that the fender issue may be more complex.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and I've already found this forum really useful and informative.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
there are probably more six cylinder subarus per capita poking around colorado then anywhere else in the known universe.

maybe colorado owners pry the H6 / 3.0 / 3.6 logos off ,

what with the possibility of people stealing such valued cars,...vs. the plain jain anemic 2.5s.

____

turbos you can find with the hood scoop (unless they have gone front grill mounted intercooler),.

..but all those turbos are easily found free, abandon dead on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,540 Posts
Congrats on the new-to-you Outback.

Is it the bumper piece that is popped out a little from the front fender? If yes, make sure it is in the correct location, and give it a few taps with the palm of your hand. It should snap back in place. It is held in place by a hook and window system. There are hooks on the fender and windows on the bumper. The hooks catch the windows. I suspect someone removed it for some reason, and sometimes everything didn't get snapped back together securely enough.

In regards to the black rocker panel trim, this is an easy fix, but may take a few inexpensive parts from your local Subaru dealership. On the under side of the rocker panel trim, there are several round, flat fasteners. These are removed by inserting a flat bladed screwdriver in one of the small slots on the side, and gently prying. Take your time, and you may need to work a little on one side and then the other. Once the head is out far enough, a trim pry tool works a little better. An inexpensive set can be had at your local Harbor Freight. With time, these can get tricky to remove as they get a lot of road grime in them. If one breaks, pick up a new one at the dealership.

There is also one at the bottom of the back side of the front wheel well. It needs to be removed also.

It is possible that some or all of these are a different style, with a slot for a flat blade screwdriver on top. Turn the slot 1/4 turn counterclockwise and then get under the head with a trim tool and pull out. Once the head is out about 1/4", get a trim tool under the shoulder and remove the clip.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

Next, use the a body trim tool to get behind the trim and pull out the body clips. These are a similar to the clips that are used to attach interior door panels to doors. There are 6 of them holding the panel in place. And this is very likely what is broken. Find out how many are broken and pick up replacements at your Subaru dealership. Or, you may be able to find them online. Rock Auto has them for $1 ea. They are Subaru p/n 909130191.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new-to-you Outback.

Is it the bumper piece that is popped out a little from the front fender? If yes, make sure it is in the correct location, and give it a few taps with the palm of your hand. It should snap back in place. It is held in place by a hook and window system. There are hooks on the fender and windows on the bumper. The hooks catch the windows. I suspect someone removed it for some reason, and sometimes everything didn't get snapped back together securely enough.
I've attached a close-up of the fender with the area in question circled in black. I've tried giving it a few gentle taps under the headlight unit but it doesn't go back in. Somebody did suggest that that one or more of the hooks could have snapped off. I'll try tapping it again in some different places and see what happens. One thing I have noticed is that the headlight unit on the passenger side looks newer than the one on the driver side - so I am wondering if the fender issue could be as a result of previous accident damage.

In regards to the black rocker panel trim, this is an easy fix, but may take a few inexpensive parts from your local Subaru dealership. On the under side of the rocker panel trim, there are several round, flat fasteners. These are removed by inserting a flat bladed screwdriver in one of the small slots on the side, and gently prying. Take your time, and you may need to work a little on one side and then the other. Once the head is out far enough, a trim pry tool works a little better. An inexpensive set can be had at your local Harbor Freight. With time, these can get tricky to remove as they get a lot of road grime in them. If one breaks, pick up a new one at the dealership.

There is also one at the bottom of the back side of the front wheel well. It needs to be removed also.

It is possible that some or all of these are a different style, with a slot for a flat blade screwdriver on top. Turn the slot 1/4 turn counterclockwise and then get under the head with a trim tool and pull out. Once the head is out about 1/4", get a trim tool under the shoulder and remove the clip.

Next, use the a body trim tool to get behind the trim and pull out the body clips. These are a similar to the clips that are used to attach interior door panels to doors. There are 6 of them holding the panel in place. And this is very likely what is broken. Find out how many are broken and pick up replacements at your Subaru dealership. Or, you may be able to find them online. Rock Auto has them for $1 ea. They are Subaru p/n 909130191.
Thanks for the link to the trim tools. I will have to add that to my shopping list. I will have a look at the rocker panel trim from underneath and try what you suggest.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts