Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback 2.5l H4
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name is Daniel Hoang and I just bought a 1999 Subaru Outback as my new daily driver. It is a 2.5 Boxer engine mated to an automatic transmission. It has 100k miles and it is pretty sound with the exception of a dent in the rear right passenger door.
How much would a new replacement door panel cost with paint?
Heres a pic of the car below.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally drove 100 miles on the car. It's defiantly not as precise or fun to drive as my Thunderbird but it handles well in unplowed snow-covered roads on the way to school. There are a few more problems with the car these are cheap fixes. I also plan on doing some interior detailing this weekend. I will post more pictures of it.
-Cigarette Lighter is broken
-Power Mirrors are broken
-Broken front cup holders
-Broken Cargo cover
-Steering is a little vague

Took a picture of both by cars yesderday when there was a weird 55 degree heat wave in Michigan.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Welcome from another former Bird owner.

I've had 4 Birds thusfar. An 86 V6, 89 V6, 97 V8 Sport, and 97 V8 Sport.

I miss the comfortable seats and the extra 40 hp and 90 ft/lb of torque, but the cargo space and MPG are what life calls for these days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from another former Bird owner.

I've had 4 Birds thusfar. An 86 V6, 89 V6, 97 V8 Sport, and 97 V8 Sport.

I miss the comfortable seats and the extra 40 hp and 90 ft/lb of torque, but the cargo space and MPG are what life calls for these days.
The better fuel economy, more practicality, and the excellent AWD system is why I ended up getting the outback. The Thunderbird will be sitting in the driveway until I get enough time and money to start working on it. I plan on a PI H/C/I swap to make it quicker.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
I miss my old sport, but a drunk driver shortened it by about a foot and a half for me...and I haven't had the funds to get a new one since.

The MN12 was a good platform. I think the old fox bodies were prettier, but they are almost impossible to find one that doesn't need a restoration at this point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I miss my old sport, but a drunk driver shortened it by about a foot and a half for me...and I haven't had the funds to get a new one since.

The MN12 was a good platform. I think the old fox bodies were prettier, but they are almost impossible to find one that doesn't need a restoration at this point.
I saw a few nice Fox bodies on the Ann Arbor Craigslist but they all cost at least 6 grand (way out of my budget).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you should have bought a RAV4.

-Just sayin.
I bought this car way under kbb's fair value. It will have problems here and there but I'll manage it.

My uncle had a first gen Rav4 and and it is less spacious than the subie. Along with that, there are no comparable Rav4s under 3 grand which meant I could not consider it an option.

I was in the market for a Jeep ZJ,XJ, 1st or 2nd gen Ford Explorer, Chevy S10s, and other 4x4 SUVs and trucks. Unfortunately, they were all high milage and fuel consuming.

My dad recommended that I get the Subaru because he had one in '93 (red legacy sedan) and he trusts the brand because the car was very reliable. Plus, 25+ mpg and AWD is a big positive in the north where there is snow and gas is more expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts