Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my Outback's OEM Continental tires as they're worn bare.

I need an all-season tire that does well in the snow. I live in Denver Colorado and will frequently drive in the mountain snow this winter, but a set of winter tires is out of the question.

Can you please recommend me a good tire? I'm very new to this, so I don't know how to start looking other than to start asking those who know more than me. Quality is important to me. I could just get another pair of Continentals, but I assume there are better tires out there, I just don't know how to identify them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
351 Posts

I need an all-season tire that does well in the snow. I live in Denver Colorado and will frequently drive in the mountain snow this winter, but a set of winter tires is out of the question.

Can you please recommend me a good tire? I'm very new to this, so I don't know how to start looking other than to start asking those who know more than me. Quality is important to me. I could just get another pair of Continentals, but I assume there are better tires out there, I just don't know how to identify them.

Thanks in advance!
The tirerack.com site has their own reviews and reviews from users. Go there for a start even if you don't buy from them. That way you can get what dozens through thousands of people think about different tires and their characteristics.

We just got tires for our other car. I recall two versions of the Conti tire while shopping. I can't respond about winter but we got a Michelin Defender for that care that has a lot of full depth sipes and is very impressive so far.

I've noticed many Michelin models have sipes that are full depth and some like that have been among the best I've owned. They seem to keep their performance later in life and I wonder if the full depth of the sipes is part of it.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I highly reconmend the Nokian WRG2 as they are winter tires as well as summer tires. They have the severe winter emblem from the DOT. Google Nokian WRG2 and read about it. I had these on my impreza previously...drove in the Canadian snow weather with little issues. I had the original WR's and then the WRG2s.
The 1st set went over 100,000 km. 107K km to be exact. The 2nd set, I sold the car unfortunately.

I just changed my 2011 Ouback to the Nokian Entyre (All season) instead of the WRG2. Since there's not much snow where I am I thought I try the Entyre instead and compare it with the WRg2s I had before.

Good findings...

·
Supporting Vendor
710 Posts
Not sure what size tire you are looking for but here is a link to the tires for a 16 inch base AWD Outback along with some reviews.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was hoping to get this tire, but I don't see Nokian making the WR G2 in 16", which is what my outback requires.

Do you have any other great suggestions on 16" tires?

Thanks in advance!
I know discount tire linked you to 16" rim tire fitment assuming you had a base model, but do you have a base model? Limited and premium trims from those years come with 17" rims.

In any case, the WR G2's do appear to come in the right sizes for outbacks with either 16" or 17" rims (I don't think discount tire carries the WR G2 for what I can tell poking around on their website Nokian tires for car & light truck), but this other website carries the correct fitments for the 16" (215/70/16 tires) and 17" (225/65/17 tires) rims (https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Nokian&tirename=Hakkapeliita+WRG2+AW&season=Regular&gclid=CKiX-eiI6LICFexAMgodOU0ALQ) which would make me assume that they do exist in the correct size. I have never dealt with that website though and I put off buying WR G2's myself since it was tough to find a dealer that carried them at a reasonable price in my area.

I decided to go with dedicated snows and a used set of 16" rims off of ebay for the winter instead. I'm always interested to see what other people pick for an all-season tire they intend to use in all seasons though, so I'll be watching your decision with interest.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
read tirerack tire reviews and other online tire sellers...looks like discount tire gave you a link above.

in my experience of all the common tires Michelin does a good job at providing a great tire almost every time. but they're also more expensive. the other companies also have outstanding tires, but some of them suck too, so reviews are handy - read my first suggestion. huge generalization but for folks that don't have time i suggest michelins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went with the Goodyear Assurance CS Triple Tread from Discount Tire.

Did not realize that Discount Tire was going to throw an additional $20 onto each tire for warranty, but they did and I bought it, and now I feel dirty.

There's an $80 rebate right now for the tire, but the warranty costs wipe out the savings immediately.

Ah well, I had to get this done today so I couldn't have waited to find the WR G2s in the right size, although that would have been my preference.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
351 Posts
asteffes, thanks for your support. Post up some photos when you get them mounted.
We've had good prices and superb service from you guys.

Your Madison location did not take advantage of my wife's naivety relative to tires when she had a destroyed tire and another place tried. You probably got my wife as customer for life on that one.

You guys knew to properly balance the lug-centric wheels on one of our cars.

You guys can even keep my picky brother happy!

·
Supporting Vendor
710 Posts
We've had good prices and superb service from you guys.

Your Madison location did not take advantage of my wife's naivety relative to tires when she had a destroyed tire and another place tried. You probably got my wife as customer for life on that one.

You guys knew to properly balance the lug-centric wheels on one of our cars.

You guys can even keep my picky brother happy!
Thank you for your kind words. We'll keep working hard for you, your family and your friends. :29:

·
Supporting Vendor
710 Posts
imwjl, thanks for the kind words and your support.

I have always said Discount Tire is a place you can send your wife or daughter to and not be afraid they are going to take advantage of them on the price of tires or wheels.

Nice to hear we are even able to keep your brother happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have talked to the local Discount Tire about getting a set of 225/60/17's for my '12 OB. They have to order them and they run $175 a tire. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and then order them. They want another $46/corner for all the bs (warranty, tpms rebuild, etc)

·
Registered
64 Posts
For anyone else interested in Nokian tires... I bought dedicated Nokian winter tires a few years back from www.tiresbyweb.com. They have a good selection of Nokians including the WR series all-weather tires. They're worth a look.

(I've purchased other tires from Discount Tire Direct. They are competitive and have great service. I think they just don't carry the same selection of Nokians. Props to DTD!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Supporting Vendor
710 Posts
I have talked to the local Discount Tire about getting a set of 225/60/17's for my '12 OB. They have to order them and they run $175 a tire. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and then order them. They want another $46/corner for all the bs (warranty, tpms rebuild, etc)
Thanks for your support. Discount Tire started in Ann Arbor MI in 1960.

(I've purchased other tires from Discount Tire Direct. They are competitive and have great service. I think they just don't carry the same selection of Nokians. Props to DTD!)
Thanks for the kind words.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Discount Tire
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing