Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of replacement tires on my 2011 Outback. I'm at 120,000 miles (give or take) and would like to keep the car for at least another year or two. I live in Massachusetts - so ice and snow are part of our annual experience. The dealer would put on Continentals, but something tells me I can do better. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,736 Posts
I was happy with how Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring performed on my 2011. I'm in Eastern NY, they did well in snow, getting me through 10" at least one time. I also got 60,000 miles on them before needing replacement (and I did so with another set of them). I put 30,000 on that set before I traded it in.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,988 Posts
my 3.6R wears Arizonian Silver Edition III tires (Cooper Tire makes them for Discount Tire). I took them because they did not have the tires I really wanted in stock. They rear extremely well and it is not the first time I used them. I got 80K out of a set on my Acura CL-S.

I normally use Bridgestone Serenity + tires

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
557 Posts
Bang for the buck is the Altimax RT43, which is also Consumer Reports top-rated Touring All-Season. I have them on my '12 3.6R, and they've done well in the snow storms we've had.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,013 Posts
I replaced the OEMs with Michelin’s and haven happy with the. Michelin defenders. Once the OEMs are worn out on our crosstrek I plan on replacing them with defenders. The OEMs are faulkens and they are Faulken crap!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
223 Posts
There are hundreds of answers to this question.

Do you prioritize treadlife and quiet? Then a high end grand touring tire like the Michelin Premier LTX, Continental Procontact, or Pirelli Cinturato P7 series would be a good purchase. Downsides are cost and generally not great in winter. Upsides are they are quiet and last many miles.

Do you want reliable 4 seasons that can handle snow as well as summer temps? Goodyear Weatherready, Michelin Crossclimate 2, Nokian WRG4 are good choices. Downsides are lower tread life and maybe a little louder than a grand touring. Upside is they work 12 months of the year.

Do you want good bang for the buck that doesn't win any categories but overall works well in most conditions? A highway tire like the General Altimax RT43 or the Firestone Destination LE3 are great choices. Downsides are that they don't really excel in any condition. Upside is they work in pretty much all conditions.

Do you want something that works well on the highway and off road? Falken Wilderness AT tour or the Yokohama G015 are good choices. Downsides can be noisy/ rough ride, poor treadlife and some aren't great in snow even with 3PMS symbol Upside? They go everywhere and are tough as nails.

You get the idea....it depends on what YOU want and need. Everything listed here has been talked about on the tire discussions and has plenty of fans. No tire does everything; you need to prioritize what you need and compromise on something.

Just avoid brands Tire Rack doesn't sell and you'll be fine. There are a LOT of Tier 3 and 4 tires out there sold by Walmart and Amazon that simply are not up to the task.

·
Premium Member
'08 OBXT 5MT Limited
23 Posts
I love my Falken Wildpeaks. They handle super well in the snow and ice, great traction when on dirt roads or trails, but don’t have the weight and road noise of most All Terrains. My gas mileage is the same as when I had all seasons on my Outback. They also look aggressive, if you are into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ll second the Michelin Defenders, have had great luck with them on a couple different cars including my 2010 Outback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are hundreds of answers to this question.

Do you prioritize treadlife and quiet? Then a high end grand touring tire like the Michelin Premier LTX, Continental Procontact, or Pirelli Cinturato P7 series would be a good purchase. Downsides are cost and generally not great in winter. Upsides are they are quiet and last many miles.

Do you want reliable 4 seasons that can handle snow as well as summer temps? Goodyear Weatherready, Michelin Crossclimate 2, Nokian WRG4 are good choices. Downsides are lower tread life and maybe a little louder than a grand touring. Upside is they work 12 months of the year.

Do you want good bang for the buck that doesn't win any categories but overall works well in most conditions? A highway tire like the General Altimax RT43 or the Firestone Destination LE3 are great choices. Downsides are that they don't really excel in any condition. Upside is they work in pretty much all conditions.

Do you want something that works well on the highway and off road? Falken Wilderness AT tour or the Yokohama G015 are good choices. Downsides can be noisy/ rough ride, poor treadlife and some aren't great in snow even with 3PMS symbol Upside? They go everywhere and are tough as nails.

You get the idea....it depends on what YOU want and need. Everything listed here has been talked about on the tire discussions and has plenty of fans. No tire does everything; you need to prioritize what you need and compromise on something.

Just avoid brands Tire Rack doesn't sell and you'll be fine. There are a LOT of Tier 3 and 4 tires out there sold by Walmart and Amazon that simply are not up to the task.
Thanks. This is really helpful. I want reliability in weather, and low noise...so I'm doing more research on what you've recommended here to see if there's any way I can find that combo.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
223 Posts
Thanks. This is really helpful. I want reliability in weather, and low noise...so I'm doing more research on what you've recommended here to see if there's any way I can find that combo.
My daughter's civic has Goodyear Weatherreadys on it. Pretty good for road noise and good in winter. Tread life is supposed to be 60K miles but I am not sure that will happen. 10,000km (6k miles) on them and they are down 2/32", so I'd say its closer to 45-50K miles.

I've had amazing luck over the years with Firestone Destination LE2 on an Escape and a Flex. Great in dry, wet and yes even snow and ice. Everything we are hearing is the LE3 will be better in all of those areas. Likely I will go with those this fall - yes, not a snowflake rated tire, but my experience with the previous version is that they are excellent in winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts