Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56,000 miles on the OEMs and it's time for new tires.

I haven't been overly impressed with them and I'd like to try something new.

I've read the reviews on tire rack and nothing there really stands out to me there either.

On my husband's 04 we put the General Altimax HPs on - but apparently they don't come in my 10s size.

So here's my deal:
Live in New England (usually snows but this year is particularly dry)
I drive about 30K miles a year including weekends trips to snow country (VT)
I will sacrifice road noise and wear (to a point) for good snow traction (I just turn up the radio)

I'd prefer to NOT get dedicated snow tires but I know that's an option too.

What are you all running these days?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,427 Posts
I would look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4, which do not come in your 215/70/16 but do come in a 225/65/16 which is almost identical in diameter. Slightly slightly lower profile, but not enough that I think you would notice.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Be sure to post back what you ended up going with. My OEM tires probably have another 10K of life left and same here not exactly impressed by them.

Right now the top tire on my list is this tire nothing exciting or exotic but has very solid feedback and is built by a pretty respected tire maker.
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A (Grand Touring All-Season)

We get around 10-15 inches of rain a year and generally make a few trips to the snow which is only a couple of hours away. They got 3+ft up there last night! The continentals have done OK in the snow not as good as a dedicated tire but for the occasional snow or light snow or trip to the snow dedicated tires seem a tad over kill when the standard quality all season tires are generally pretty decent these days.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I also agree with Fortinv, the ideal setup is dedicated winter tires. If you are looking for a single all-season solution, I'd look at the Nokian WRG2-suv tires, in 225/60-17. There are many threads here to provide you with user opinions, so a search will help you.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
I've heard good things about the WRG2s, and the Primacy MXV4 is an amazing tire (my wife's Cavalier handled 4" of snow with those without too much of an issue). I have the Advantage T/A that I run as a three season tire...it could still deal with 4" of snow, but it was a bit squirrelly (and stopping, as with any all-season tire, was still an issue). I run Blizzak WS70s in the winter and love them, especially since I never get snow days at work, so I either go in, or I am forced to take the day off on my own time. Plus, I found that especially with AWD, the problem isn't *going* in the snow, it's stopping. Anyways, we just got a measly 2" of snow today up here in NH, but it was still enough to go play. It was hard to break my OBW loose with the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i SE PZEV Newport Blue
525 Posts
I bought the Michelins for my '09 last November, and am very happy.
Just had only 2" very light snow yesterday, otherwise no major snow, but I was away the previous three weeks, not with my car.

·
Registered
2012 Ruby Red OB Premium Edition
154 Posts
I just bought a set of Pirelli P4 Four Season tires. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out the best choice. They're highly rated on most of the sites I've found, but I still don't know that it was the best choice. I've only had them on for about 100 miles, so it's too early to tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good summers and winter rims

Just picked up a '08 OB 2.5i with newish 225/60 R17 WRG2 Nokians. Great tire in the winter, but thinking I should run some decent high mileage summers and save the Nokians for winter (only 50k warranty on them). Suggestions on what to use and where the best deals are. in Canada, but close to the Montana/Idaho border. Thanks, j

·
Registered
2016 Outback
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put it off and now IM at 61,000 miles. I think Thursday I'll go to my tire place and discuss all these great suggestions. It's very odd I've never been at such a loss! Usually I can pick a set of tires but I just can't seem to choose for this car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.