Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6r Limited
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drove on a flat and destroyed one of the tires on the car. Original Contis had 42k on them and probably had at least another 15k worth of life. Oh well.

After searching reviews at Tirerack it came down to a set of the new Michelin Defenders or the BFG Advantage TA. Decided to go with the BFG as it was substantially cheaper but still got really good reviews. BFG is rated much better than stock Conti so they should be an improvement. We get a lot of rain here but no snow or ice so the snow ice part doesnt concern me much. 75k mile tire as opposed to the Michelin 90k but I don't thing the Subi will get that much life out of a tire anyway no matter the brand.

First impressions on the BFG are they are quieter than the Conti with a slightly firmer ride. Felt good in the long sweeper on ramps at higher speeds. Tracked nice and straight and rode smooth on the interstate up to about 90 mph. Haven't had them in the rain yet but according to reviews should prove to be much better than the Contis.

Time will tell but so far so good.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
My wife drove on a flat and destroyed one of the tires on the car. Original Contis had 42k on them and probably had at least another 15k worth of life. Oh well.

After searching reviews at Tirerack it came down to a set of the new Michelin Defenders or the BFG Advantage TA. Decided to go with the BFG as it was substantially cheaper but still got really good reviews. BFG is rated much better than stock Conti so they should be an improvement. We get a lot of rain here but no snow or ice so the snow ice part doesnt concern me much. 75k mile tire as opposed to the Michelin 90k but I don't thing the Subi will get that much life out of a tire anyway no matter the brand.

First impressions on the BFG are they are quieter than the Conti with a slightly firmer ride. Felt good in the long sweeper on ramps at higher speeds. Tracked nice and straight and rode smooth on the interstate up to about 90 mph. Haven't had them in the rain yet but according to reviews should prove to be much better than the Contis.

Time will tell but so far so good.
Fantastic! I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on the BFG replacement 40K on the Conti the last 20K has been a battle to keep them balanced and one tire thats not round from shaking the car to much.

·
Premium Member
2010 Outback Premium 2.5
140 Posts
I just replaced the oem conti's on my 2010. The local tire stores could not get the defenders in time for my road trip. I get Mastercraft (Cooper) tire they had. They are so much more quiet than the conti's, I don't mind having the window open. The ride is firm, no more excessive roll and they grip so much better that they empmasize how crappy the brakes are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts