Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some new tires for the OBS last week. After all the confusion, I went with the Falken Ziex 512 model. Rated #1 in Consumer Reports for an all season. And I have local guys that deem them excellent for an all season tire. Now I also have a guy locally on a hook for buying his Rota Slipstreams in steel grey. He has only about 400 miles on them, and that's the color I want to match my lower half of the OBS.

Anyway, I ordered 215/55/16 which is just 10mm wider, but I'm hoping to put them on the Slipstreams which are .5" wider than stock (16"x7" for the Slipstreams)

I'll post reviews later. For now, they are on backorder until around late October. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Congrats. Good choice. That should look nice. Post photos when you get 'em on.

I just got new tires myself. The RS wheels I bought for my OBS had really worn RE92s on them and one developed a slow leak. I got a set of BFG Traction TAs. So far so good after 300 miles, but it took 3 tries to get them balanced to my satisfaction. :(

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
tires

nice tread! Hey BlueRidge I have a set of BFG Traction Ta's with about 5,000miles so far .The BFG's stick like glue in the corners on dry pavement!!! wet they're great too! I can't wait to try them in snow! AnyTHING Is better than RE-92'S. :D

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
To prove just how uncool a guy I am I'll say I probably have the widest tires I've ever had before on a vehicle-- these stock wheels and tires that came with the '04 OBS! heh-heh

Never been motivated to change such things. I see all of you other people putting larger wheels and tires all the time...
All I care about is treadwear and price, and a halfway decent traction in all kinds of weather. :)

Came across a message posted about someone suggesting that tires might be wearing quicker due to the AWD (Outback?). Not having ever owned a 4X4 or AWD before (not even FWD) this is definitely new territory for me.

So I'll ask this... Brian, Steve, anyone, got any insight into how tires fare on these cars? For instance, is a 50 thousand mile tire still going to be the same?

Ack! I went and looked for info on those Bridgestone Potenza RE92's and almost wish I hadn't!
http://www.1010tires.com/Bridgestone_Potenza_RE92_tires.html
The reviews tell all. But then again, so does the rating if you happen to look at the tire info. Says right there, rated 1.5 for Snow out of possible 5. No wonder. And I was hoping for some great chances to trial run this AWD stuff in a snow this winter.

Hey, Brian, that Falken does rate well, and the price is good for the stock size too! Everyone might want to check out:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?brand=yes&tirebrand=Falken

Guess I'll be figuring this tire thing out sooner than later if the Potenza's only last two years for me!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bridgestone RE92's:13:

Falken Ziex 512's:D

Yes, the Falken's are cheap to boot. Very good reviews. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
roo said:

So I'll ask this... Brian, Steve, anyone, got any insight into how tires fare on these cars? For instance, is a 50 thousand mile tire still going to be the same?
Yes, you should get the same mileage. Just be sure to have them rotated when recommended and in the pattern that the manual recommends. The one issue with AWD cars is replacing a tire. You don't want to have 1 brand new tire and 3 well worn tires. It supposedly can cause damage to the diffs. Exactly how much wear on the other 3 is acceptable is the subject of debate, of which I have heard no definitive conclusion.

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
White Lettered Tires

I'm looking to replace the Potenza's with something a little more "winter appropriate", but the wife wants white lettered tires. Do the Nokian or Goodrich Traction T/A's come with white letters?

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I see, great, thanks BlueRidge (Steve).

waynerd, seems all-season or all-terrain tires tend to be blackwalled unless they're those big chunky truck tires. Although, I noticed some have outlined (or open) white letters, except I don't know if any are sized right for the Outback. Anyway, looks like the choices get narrower when you get away from simple blackwalls.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, the tires are excellent. And very good in the snow. Now I can save the RE-92's and stock rims for rallycrossing. Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts