Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife and I just test drove a 2011 Outback because the head gasket went in our 06. I thought they fixed the HG problem by 03 but as I learned from a couple hours searching this site it (HG issue) now rears its ugly head in the form of and external oil leak.
I did not find any concrete information that indicates the issue has been solved 100%. Problem is enough of the newer models have not yet approached 70-100k which is where they are more likely to fail. Its unlikely the problem will be as bad on the later models as it is on the late 90s early 2000s but nevertheless it seems the potential is still there.

We loved all the imprevments on the 2011 and really the new Subaru Outback design fits our needs so well I'd be willing to risk buying one regardles of the HG issue. The CVT tranny is really nice but that too concerned us a bit because it hasn't been out long enough in mass produced autos to be time tested. In the end I decided to have my car repaired and keep it because its got a lot of life left instead of making payments again on a new one.....but if we were buying a new car, I'd probably get the Outback but insist on first taking it out on the highway for a test drive to 80mph to make sure its not plaged with the steering shake issue I've just recently read about.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.