Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been appreciating this forum a lot in the process of buying a used outback wagon. I'm a first time subaru owner and actually a first time car owner as well, so this is all pretty new to me and I'm eager to learn more. My partner and I decided to look for an outback after borrowing our friend's Honda Civic hybrid for a remote backpacking excursion in Mendocino National Forest. Amazingly, cautious driving was enough to get us out and back on the rugged, washed out forest service roads, but the whole experience had me dreaming of higher clearance and AWD. Oh the places we could go! We are also excited to use it for chores like picking up straw bales and compost (we have a backyard garden and chickens).

After doing some searching on craigslist we eventually settled on buying from Auto World of Fremont. It has been a pretty good experience so far, we got a 2001 OBW 2.5 w/AWP that's in great shape for $4400 out the door. It has 192k on it but the timing belt was done at 188k. Auto World picked up the car at auction after it got rear ended and earned itself a salvage title. Seemed like a good deal to me, especially with their service plan that includes free diagnosis and parts/labor at cost. I'm also hoping to learn to do as much routine maintenance for the car as possible. Ideally this will be a reliable adventure car that doesn't cost a fortune to maintain. Anybody familiar with this dealer??

One question that has come up for me is about keys. The car came with one from the dealer so I wanted a couple spares and had the local hardware store cut me two for $6.50. They looked a little rough to me but were generally the shape of the original. They don't seem to work as well, though. I had a hard time turning the key in the lock and could unlock it (with difficulty) but couldn't relock it at all. It seemed to work much better in the ignition than in the locks, but that won't do me much good if I can't get in. I've heard some places do laser cut keys, is that what I need? I was kind of worried that using the rough cut keys could damage the locks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
either laser cut or hardware store cut,...the keys need to be honed a bit with the machine next to the key cutter. its not a big deal,...and the person who cut the key "should" have done that, tried the keys in the locks and ignition (or had you do it),....and honed it some more.

I have hauled hay bales inside on tarps.

never haulled compost, particularly that with chicken manure.

I think I would be out to get a cheap hitch and " hitch cargo carrier " to put boxes in it, vs. putting that inside the car.

some things like hauling manure are what subaru baja's were made for.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Keys are brass. Get a wire wheel for a drill and dress the sharp edges. When they cut it they should have done that for you.

OR

Take some 220 grit sandpaper and knock the edges off that way...

I have cut 1000 keys maybe...you just need to clean them up. Likely the original key was worn in which makes the duplicates not as accurate.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you can also get your 4 (or "5") digit keycode and have a locksmith cut the key from that code for a like-new key cut. ask a subaru dealer for the key code based on your VIN. or they can be read off the drivers side lock cylinder.

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually did see them hone the key a little bit with the brush-like attachment next to the key cutter. I guess I'll try that wire wheel/sandpaper combo and see how that works. I'll try getting the key code and going to a qualified locksmith if I end up needing to cut another.

The compost we usually get is city-compost so it is fairly thoroughly decomposed, but it does still have somewhat of a smell to it. It may turn out that hauling it in the wagon is not ideal, but it probably beats using the '96 toyota carolla we have used in the past (compost goes in double layered garbage bags in back seat and trunk). The hitch carrier is a good idea to keep in mind though! We don't typically haul manure, but it is a possibility if we wanted to bring some in from off-site for sheet mulching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts