Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I honestly didn't want a leather interior (primary reason being blazing hot in the summer / freezing in the winter), but when I finally found the right '07 Outback for me, that's just what it happened to have and it wasn't about to be a dealbreaker.

It seems to be in pretty good condition, and since I don't plan on running this car into the ground and will instead probably resell it within a couple of years, I'd like to keep it that way. From what I've read, a monthly light cleaning seems to be a common consensus. Are there any particular products that you'd recommend - or avoid at all costs? In general, is there anything beyond that monthly treatment that would be necessary to stop the leather from cracking and lowering the eventual resale value? Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,779 Posts
hey look,

pitweasel got a car. :smile2:

(you can hit the link next to the question mark in my signature and add / update what you got).

______
and what do I do with the leather seats in my 2 cars: nothing, as of yet.

I have used mild hand soaps/ simplegreen / windex on the inside door handle to take 90% black stains like stuff off that problem area with paper towels.

(...same to finish wiping some dog puke up,...but other then that nothing,.

_________

...and I would also like to know what others use, possibly leather soap for shoes / saddles /

ivory hand soap? . (one would need very little so i would not recommend something like dawn dish soap as that would take a lot of water to wipe back off).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Dont use harsh leather cleaners on fo leather. I use classic Armorall. And going on 6yrs of kids , dogs and camping abuse on light cream leather. Looks good still.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,635 Posts
I would recommend Furniture Row's leather care products, specifically leather cleaner, leather conditioner, and multi-surface cleaner. No chemicals or strong odors, the stuff works incredibly well IMHO.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hi all,

I honestly didn't want a leather interior (primary reason being blazing hot in the summer / freezing in the winter), but when I finally found the right '07 Outback for me, that's just what it happened to have and it wasn't about to be a dealbreaker.

It seems to be in pretty good condition, and since I don't plan on running this car into the ground and will instead probably resell it within a couple of years, I'd like to keep it that way. From what I've read, a monthly light cleaning seems to be a common consensus. Are there any particular products that you'd recommend - or avoid at all costs? In general, is there anything beyond that monthly treatment that would be necessary to stop the leather from cracking and lowering the eventual resale value? Thanks!
If you have any tack shops nearby (Equine supplies) You will find a plethora of leather-protecting products at a very reasonable cost. The people are very helpful and will guide you to the best product for your needs.

I also use the same products to protect my leather motorcycle jacket, shoes, boots, gloves, and other leather products around the house.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey look,

pitweasel got a car. :smile2:
Yeah, took me long enough. Honestly not even super thrilled with the ultimate deal, but after looking at a lot of other options, this just seemed like the least worst way to go.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,779 Posts
Yeah, took me long enough. Honestly not even super thrilled with the ultimate deal, but after looking at a lot of other options, this just seemed like the least worst way to go.
leather is easy to take care of, as you just wipe it off, vs. anything getting spilled down into the cloth seat.

you can get seat covers (they have areas that rip open, if any seat airbag blows)

_____

and 2007s are nice cars, the sills / wheel wells are sealed up against rust a lot better then the 2000-2004 series.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
27 Posts
Try Adams Leather and Interior Cleaner then Adams Leather. I have been using it on our GTI for 15months and seems to be doing well. Plus it smells great.
When the OB arrives next week I will get it treated with Opti Coat..... Will report back on how that goes end of next week.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
826 Posts
Armorall is just horrible IMO (for plastics & leather). Stay away.

The best I've seen for leather is called Leatherique. It consists of a cleaner and a rejuvenator oil. Very mild but very effective.

http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/rejuvinator_pc_directions.html

Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

I've used it on leather upholstery in cars & home for 23 years and it is great. Not harsh, works incredibly well. The leather on my 9 yr. old Audi looked brand new with 1-2 Leatherique applications a year.

I have no affiliation with them other than as a paying customer. A couple of 16 oz. bottles (1 each of Rejuvenator & Clean) will last a LONG time.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,173 Posts
Armorall is just horrible IMO (for plastics & leather). Stay away.

The best I've seen for leather is called Leatherique. It consists of a cleaner and a rejuvenator oil. Very mild but very effective.

Rejuvinator & P.C. Directions | Leatherique Restoration Products

Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

I've used it on leather upholstery in cars & home for 23 years and it is great. Not harsh, works incredibly well. The leather on my 9 yr. old Audi looked brand new with 1-2 Leatherique applications a year.

I have no affiliation with them other than as a paying customer. A couple of 16 oz. bottles (1 each of Rejuvenator & Clean) will last a LONG time.
Leatherique is wonderful stuff for old leather. Bit more work than wipe on/wipe off products. I use it about once a year on an old (1995) former daily driver now garage queen BMW. I will use it on my Subaru in about one year. :)

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5; 2005 Outback 2.5; 2006 Legacy; 2016 Outback 3.6R; 2019 Outback 3.6R
23 Posts
I've been using TriNova Leather Conditioner and Restorer with Water Repellent Formula (got it on Amazon). It worked well on the leather interior of my '05, which was neglected for many years. On my 2016, it seems to be doing a good job, but I still get the blue jeans staining on the tan leather. The only downside is that you apply the TriNova, and then have to wait for an hour.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R Limited w/Navigation & SAP
68 Posts
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Lexol yet. They make both a cleaner and a conditioner and I've been using them on the leather in my Porsche for over twenty years and it still looks amazing. It also does wonders for my leather jackets. If the leather gets really dirty I've used saddle soap on it, but only once or twice.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
826 Posts
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Lexol yet. They make both a cleaner and a conditioner and I've been using them on the leather in my Porsche for over twenty years and it still looks amazing. It also does wonders for my leather jackets. If the leather gets really dirty I've used saddle soap on it, but only once or twice.
Lexol is fine, I've used it. But, FWIW, not nearly as nice / good as Leatherique IMO / IME. I use it on leather furniture, too, great stuff for cleaning & preservation.

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Ice Silver
29 Posts

·
Registered
17 OB 2.5i
39 Posts
I thought I would add my 2c on leather care on a Subie.

Modern leather seats are coated with a layer of really thin vinyl (including Subaru for the last 15 or so years). This is like a clearcoat on the body, where it's a hard environmental protection to the below surface.

Also Subaru seats are generally a mix of faux (or PU) and leather, where I believe the leather is mainly the seat pad and back (the perforated panels)

Dirts/oils/abrasion will eventually deteriorate through the leather/PU, so regularly cleaning it is essential. I wipe my steering wheel weekly and seats approx every month.

Cleaning with a speciality leather product will add little value, especially when its got a vinyl coating.
A simple cleaning solution (even slightly soapy water) will do.

I personally use a leather cleaning spray I get from the supermarket, that has a nice scent (like a saddle cream)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts