Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB XT 5MT 2015 Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new to me 2.5 xt today. This is my either subaru... Two weird problems so far:

First us the instrument lights. Any way to keep them at full brightness with the headlights on during the day? I drive with my headlights on all the time, this car dims the guages to the point I can't see them with sunglasses on...

Second, I need help with the key fob/alarm. My only fob is broken. I'll be getting a new one. It's lock button is broken (I've taken it apart, the switch is not attached to the board anymore). If I lock the car with the door switch and walk away the alarm starts honking after about a minute? Horn and flashing lights. What am I doing wrong? I also want to turn off the beeps when I unlock but I think I've already found how to do that via another thread here.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,090 Posts
There is a brightness button next to the clock you need to push everytime you turn the headlights on.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
854 Posts
You have daytime running lights, so there's no need to turn the headlights on during the day. The DRLs come on when the car is in gear and the parking brake is off.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You have daytime running lights, so there's no need to turn the headlights on during the day. The DRLs come on when the car is in gear and the parking brake is off.
Drls don't turn on tail lights though, which is nice to have on for extra visibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DRLs don't count. They use the high beam bulb on low wattage and ruin your high beam bulbs. They also don't turn on the tail lights. So I use my normal bulbs. I'll look for the switch by the clock though, thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
854 Posts
After driving my '05 for a dozen years, I never had one failure of the high beam bulb. The same has been true for my '17. Running a tungsten filament at reduced voltage multiplies its life. I know what the halogen cycle is, but if there's no carbon deposit on the envelope, then it isn't an issue.

Knowing Subaru, if there was evidence that having the tail lights lit during the day accomplished anything, they would have them on all the time. I do switch to full lights during poor visibility weather, like heavy rain and fog. On an average day, if someone was going to hit the back of your car, tail lights are not going to prevent it.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited 3.6Rrrrr
87 Posts
@Radar - I respectfully disagree... taillights should be on 100% time whenever car is in motion, along with the front lights. There is no negative at all from the perspective of safety to have the tail lights on. I have found many times, as these articles share, coming up behind someone that in various situations driving MUCH slower, that if their tail lights were on it would increase the visibility significantly. And you may have that cognizant sense to switch to 'full lights' during as you shared poor visibility, but vast majority of people would / do not. IMHO, given I drive ~25k miles per year all types of conditions, there is just NO sane good reason to not have tail lights on, and headlights, every time the vehicle is in motion. :cool:

@jacobsen1 - pardon brief hijack of your post! Nice rig, and hope get these issues resolved!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update:

Problem #1: Switch by the clock fixes the cluster brightness issue. Slightly annoying to need it every time (in daylight) but I'm learning.

Problem #2: fixed all issues. My FOB's lock button was physically broken off the fob circuit board. I have another FOB on order from amazon but I got impatient and picked one up at orielly's. I've got it programmed and working. I've also turned off the alarm as well as the beep when locking/unlocking so everything is behaving as I would expect.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,735 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
35 Posts
hey @traildogck look at that, another cherry just like yours = "ticket magnet red", but with a manual.
... and in case anyone was wondering, 80mph under the big skies of Montana.
Ah, the old Montannabahn. Never got to experience it.

OP, congratulations on the XT. I had a 2005 XT with the manual and loved it. Wanted to buy another but when I was looking there weren't a whole lot of options so I ended up with a 2011 3.6R instead.

·
Registered
1995 Legacy 2.2L | 2005 Outback XT 2.5L
100 Posts
I was just about to say that there is a little brightness button in the clock/MPG display that keeps it full brightness, but it looks like you already figured that out.
Enjoy your new car!

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
474 Posts
Congratulations on the great-looking wagon!
I vaguely recall something about the DRL behavior changing between model years... that early ones used the high beams while laters used the low beam? At least, running at lower voltage I would expect longer life out of them, but Your Mileage May (literally) Vary.
Also, I thought for certain the tail lights also came on with the DRLs -- but either way, I'd rather have my tails on when driving during the day too, so lightswitch on it is.

And, that brightness button by the clock is a 2005-only feature, I think. Does it do more than you'd get from turning the illumination knob up all the way? (Worth a retrofit to a 2007?)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congratulations on the great-looking wagon!
I vaguely recall something about the DRL behavior changing between model years... that early ones used the high beams while laters used the low beam? At least, running at lower voltage I would expect longer life out of them, but Your Mileage May (literally) Vary.
Also, I thought for certain the tail lights also came on with the DRLs -- but either way, I'd rather have my tails on when driving during the day too, so lightswitch on it is.

And, that brightness button by the clock is a 2005-only feature, I think. Does it do more than you'd get from turning the illumination knob up all the way? (Worth a retrofit to a 2007?)
I don't know about about a retrofit. But it brightens everything to the same brightness as with the lights off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts