Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Station Wagon & 2017 Volt
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the above car today for a second ride and for my son to use when he is home from school. It has 129k miles, bought it from a co-worker so I know the history, all maintenence, garaged etc. The head gasket, timing belt and water pump were replaced in March of this year. Its due for an oil change so that is my project for tomorrow. The air filter is clean, the brakes have about 50% of the pads left. Looking for suggestions on any other maintenence you think should be done or if I should be checking anything else when I'm under there tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Diff fluid (front/rear)? Trans fluid?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,656 Posts
auto/ manual?

H6 or 4 cyl. ?

inspect the axle boots for splits.

if not now, next time it needs pads, do a brake fluid flush. (unless there are records for that recently.)

maybe use a turkey baster to do a partial change of power steering fluid from the tank. Use Dexron III or equiv. (Dex 6 ????)

lift the boots front and rear and feel for oil on top of the strut cylinders.

check those fluid filled bushings in the 'omega-shaped' housing at the rear of the front lower control arms.

that's all I can think of right now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Auto, 4 Cyl. Poked around today and everything looked ok. I'm really getting to old to roll around on the ground, need to find a lift. Later its getting a good vaccuum a wash and wax. Next week diff fluid change and I may change the tranny fluid if its not on the service records. It looks like I have enough to keep me busy for the next few weekends. Great forum.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,656 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. Auto, 4 Cyl. Poked around today and everything looked ok. I'm really getting to old to roll around on the ground, need to find a lift. Later its getting a good vaccuum a wash and wax. Next week diff fluid change and I may change the tranny fluid if its not on the service records. It looks like I have enough to keep me busy for the next few weekends. Great forum.
I hear ya, I'm 57 and 'try' to do as much as I can. I'm really slow lol!

You might check for a cabin air filter behind the glove box. Our 03 has one. Could be dirty. If not equppied, you could take the opportunity to vacuum the area/coils. maybe install a filter it you want. Aftermarkets are now available and are less $$ than OEM. Or build you own. Some folks have.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Get a creeper!

Fluids like stated, rotate the tires, coolant flush, spark plugs, power steering flush, and a clay bar wouldn't be bad either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a way to turn off the alarm honk, double honk?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unlock the doors, hold lock and unlock for like 5 seconds till the car's lights blink.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I changed the oil, the oil filter looks like it belongs on a lawn mower. I bought the filter listed in the book, however the one I took off was about an inch longer; does anyone know what I'm talking about and do you know the part number of the bigger one for future use? I compared it to the H6 and the gasket looked the same but that filter had a bigger diameter so I went with the baby one. I changed the MT fluid once, the second one is happening later today along with a new $35 filter. The front differential fluid, what an adventure filling that was. The dip stick for that is pretty much held in by gravity alone, very loose. I think the o-ring is shot does anyone know what size that is? I can't seem to find a torque spec for the lug nuts I set them at 80ft/lbs. Everything else under there looked ok, I'd like to find that annoying whistle that I get under heavy acceleration from what I've read its most likely the muffler. Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's an exhaust flange, the one before the muffler is the one that did it for me, and sometimes its the one after the cat.

Just go to the dealer and get an OEM one, filters aren't that expensive. The odds of you getting the wrong one there are slim to none. I preffer OEM when I can. I'm unsure on the oring size, maybe buy a ring set at a local hardwear store and use one of them. But I honestly do not know.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,277 Posts
That annoying whistle could also be a loose air intake hose or improper fit air filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts