Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 Outback LTD w/171K on it. It is all highway miles so not a concern. it is amazing due to Hurricane Sandy (which took Blu's life) I had to travel almost 2 hrs to buy a used car.

This has the full sunroof and black leather interior.

The previous owner's wife seemed to have a wee bit of difficulty with a car wash, so the plastic body cladding over the drivers side wheel is scratchec, and drivers side rear door is smashed. Anyone have a reasonable source for these?

The car has the infamous dual zone automatic climate control with 6cd changer. As far as I can see the fix for this is not cheap. One fix is

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html Which is a 320.00 part.

Another is called a Parrot

Bluetooth® hands free car kits made for iPod and compatible with iPhone - Parrot MKi9200

So what have people done to get around this.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 Outback LTD w/171K on it. It is all highway miles so not a concern. it is amazing due to Hurricane Sandy (which took Blu's life) I had to travel almost 2 hrs to buy a used car.

This has the full sunroof and black leather interior.

The previous owner's wife seemed to have a wee bit of difficulty with a car wash, so the plastic body cladding over the drivers side wheel is scratchec, and drivers side rear door is smashed. Anyone have a reasonable source for these?

The car has the infamous dual zone automatic climate control with 6cd changer. As far as I can see the fix for this is not cheap. One fix is

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread! - Subaru Legacy Forums Which is a 320.00 part.

Another is called a Parrot

Bluetooth® hands free car kits made for iPod and compatible with iPhone - Parrot MKi9200

So what have people done to get around this.
Older thread, but I'll likely be dealing with this soon too. I'm looking for an '07-'09 H6 which will inevitably have the dual-zone HVAC. The '07+ cars have an auxiliary input, though, so I figured I'd get a DC powered Bluetooth to aux adapter and just use that.

You're in a tougher situation with no aux input, though! They make Bluetooth FM modulators, but I'm not sure how bad sound quality would be there. I don't see how that Parrot connects...it doesn't seem to describe it anywhere.

How do you like the giant sunroof? That's one thing I'll look forward to in whatever I find!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I LOVE THE SUNROOF! That and the black leather interior, which i dont think it is supposed to have. I went with a GROM unit as i dont like modulators. I upgraded to a 2009 unit (plays MP3 discs). the GROM unit plugs into the SAT connection and works fine. Some teething pains, have to rebuild my music collection (120 gigs), but was going to anyway.

Still figuring it out as an adapter is never as good as a built in unit, but sounds great.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm hoping to find one with black leather. The light tan interior on my 2004 is tough to keep clean. Not so much the seats, but the carpet sure is. I can't be too choosy, though, since an H6 within those years is tough to find to begin with, and I suppose I'd be buying Weathertech floor liners anyway.

I have the two sunroofs in my 2004, but I like the 05-09 sunroof much better. My uncle has an '09 2.5i Limited and seeing that car made me want one like it--but I want to stick with an H6.

Right now I have an aftermarket JVC unit in my 2004, I use the USB input for a bunch of music I have on a flash drive. I'll miss that in whatever I end up replacing it with, but I find that I rarely use it lately anyway--90% of the time I'm listening to FM radio. For when I really want to play something else, I'll have the CD changer and the auxiliary input.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow there is something on FM radio? Aside from NPR, i cant stand commercial radio anymore. i am so into podcasts and internet radio now :).

GROM USB, Android Smartphone, iPod, AUX, Bluetooth Hands Free Integration to a factory car stereo

Thats what i used. With the 09 head unit i have to get an amp as it is not as powerful, but it does have a good sound to it.

And it is so purty, the 05, everything is red at night. i did buy a high mileag one to get one i could afford, but i have yet to buy a subaru with less then 170 on it anyway :)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Wow there is something on FM radio? Aside from NPR, i cant stand commercial radio anymore. i am so into podcasts and internet radio now :).

GROM USB, Android Smartphone, iPod, AUX, Bluetooth Hands Free Integration to a factory car stereo

Thats what i used. With the 09 head unit i have to get an amp as it is not as powerful, but it does have a good sound to it.

And it is so purty, the 05, everything is red at night. i did buy a high mileag one to get one i could afford, but i have yet to buy a subaru with less then 170 on it anyway :)
NPR is most of what I'm talking about :D. Strongest signal around here is from WAMC, too.

For music on FM radio, WAQY is just about all I can stand. The Albany stations are especially horrible.

I'm hoping to find an '08-'09, since the H6 got the XT's electroluminescent gauges and SI-Drive for those years. They look really nice.

If I find an '07 for a good price first, though, I'll go with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing