Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, I've been looking around for a couple of years for a 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5-speed.
I see them pop up fairly often for sale but they're usually automatics.
So, I decided to pull the trigger on an Outback XT that was for sale in Florida.

I got the car today and low and behold it was not exactly as it was represented in the ad.
It has lots of surface (hopefully just surface rust) under the car. The exhaust is pretty rusty as well.
I guess this is what I get from getting a car close to the coast in Florida.
But, it's my car now and I knew I was going to have to do some work on whatever I bought since it's a 15 year old car.
I'll deal with it. :)

So the bad:
Right off the bat I couldn't get the car inspected and registered since it's throwing codes.
I have these three preventing me from inspection: P2004, P007, and P009.
From the limited research I've done, the first two have to do with the TGV valve. Considering doing the delete mod for those but I can't seem to find anybody selling these currently.
Not sure what the P2009 code is yet. Going to be taking the car to the mechanic soon.

I just hope this car doesn't end up being a basket case.
Future mods coming. I want to do some suspension mods (possible koni inserts, etc.) and lots of 'go fast' parts.
There's a Subie tuner in Nashville that I plan on visiting at some point.
Gotta get it running well and registered first!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Nice! I'd not be too worried about surface rust on the exhaust nor the suspension arms/components. Sand/road debris can act like sand blasting on the black painted parts. The real concern is the subframes, underneath the fender flares and brake lines in the rear. Scaly rust, crusty bolt heads in the engine bay, etc are tell-tales that it was a salt car.

As for the codes, the simplest way to correct the TGV issue is to have the codes disabled, force readiness the ECU and "lock" the butterfly shafts open. None of that requires serious engine work and the codes can be done with open source software.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on! So I could literally keep the same TGV assemblies and just gut the insides? Then get the codes cleared via a tune? The engine bay looks pretty great, no rust there.
Hoping I didn't buy a complete hoopty. Just gotta get these codes cleared.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Yup. You don't have to gut the insides if you'd rather not pull the intake manifold. You can remove the TGV motor, reclock the position sensor (opposite side of the shaft) and reinstall the motor. Keep the motor unplugged so the ECU doesn't try to "move" the shaft.

Of course, you can also pull the butterflies, shaft and electronics, but it's usually more hassle than buying JDM or aftermarket TGV "blanks".

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I would recommend checking out this thread as it has tons of interesting info XT owner should be aware of. "Go fast" parts, tune and suspension upgrades will make this car more fun to drive. I started looking at new Subarus (STi but they don't have hatch these days so I was not eager to pull the trigger) and decided to to upgrade a few things instead on my 08XT. Car is a blast to drive I have no interest in a new car anymore :) Only regret is that I have not done it sooner.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Oh, and thanks for the link to the XT issues. Thanks! I'm reading now.
I just remembered something - check out this link for various bushings. They are designed and made by one of the forum members. I have his bushings and beefed up brackets on the stock front sway bar. Currently waiting for rear sway bar bushings, straps and brackets combo. That will go on already installed 20mm Whiteline Rear Sway bar.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
For some items for the engine check out www.legacygt.com

Lot's of info over there about these cars.

Enjoy your car, it will be fun to drive soon.

Reactions: Marcinho

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I soooo can't wait! I've been actually looking at www.legacygt.com for a long time since I was really wanting a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5-Speed. That forum is very performance centric.
As for the bushing, thanks so much for the email address!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think these wheels would fit? They're 18x9.5 +38 offset

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
468 Posts
Do you think these wheels would fit? They're 18x9.5 +38 offset
use this site and do some measurements under the wheelwell.

youll most likely need to roll and cut the plastic fenders at that width/poke if you lower. OBs have very little tolerance for larger (esp wider) wheel/tire upgrade. If you dont lower then it should be ok if you dont hit large bumps.

on the topic of rotas...i rather run stock wheels than to run a rota.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
468 Posts
I just hope this car doesn't end up being a basket case.
I think most people may tell you these cars are in general basket cases...some would tell you that in harsher, more potty mouth words...lol. Buy a legacy/outback from this year, expect to put tons of $ into it fixing it and keeping it running. Just the nature of the game.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think most people may tell you these cars are in general basket cases...some would tell you that in harsher, more potty mouth words...lol. Buy a legacy/outback from this year, expect to put tons of $ into it fixing it and keeping it running. Just the nature of the game.
Haha, thanks! I'm sure it's close to what you'd get from a WRX of this vintage as well. I still love it though, and resale is pretty great if it get ever gets to be too much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 57 Posts