Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited 2.5L - 33K miles
5 Posts
I cruise craigslist pretty regularly as a time killer, and just happened upon this gem the other day.

Glad I was able to help!

·
Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good to know! I did just talk to the gentleman that has my car and he's going to make time this weekend to go through things. I also called and left Brent (craiglist ad you posted) a voicemail.
Always a good thing to have multiple folks that can work on your car. Thanks for the Dickson info!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Oh man

Oh man, that's greeeeaaatt!! My current mechanic has had my car for a week and hasn't done anything to it yet.
I would have never found that ad!
Another option is to join local Subaru Facebook group and just ask for recommendations. Currently I use a mechanic that only service Subarus (they also do builds And tuning). It is 45 minutes away From me in a different town but I am so glad to know it is in hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So many options!
I should probably replace the uppipe with a catless one (Cobb maybe), and keep the stock turbo for now.
Probably should start with a CBE (AVO turboworld OBXT), then the CAT pipe looks super worn out so while the exhaust is being replaced, that should probably be replaced too.
Anything else that should be replaced at this time?

I really like the design of the Ultimate-Racing Uppipe/Downpipe combo:
But.. it uses an EWG, so, I'd have to go with a TIAL WG and stock turbo. Or replace the turbo (with Blouch or something else). Too much power for stock internals more than likely.

It seems that every upgraded part starts a cascade of other things that need to go with it.
Should get the TGV sorted first, then get an access port. A new tune would probably do a world of good for this stock car for now.
Would a catless uppipe and a tune be a good start to the modification train?

If it were you, where would you start with mods? While the 480HP of the Blouch turbo sounds AWESOME! Realistically, I don't want to do any partial engine rebuilds at this time since this engine seems to be okay for now.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
777 Posts
If i owned a turbo subaru, I would go with a catless down pipe, high flow catted down pipe, sti tmic, possibly injectors and then a pro tune. New couplers for the turbo and intake just due to age. Smoke test before tune, ask the tuner if they want 1 step colder plugs installed. I tend to stay away from generic tunes, as they are designed to only meet specific requirements from a fresh build, and tune to damage engines. Plus APs give people worry because they see something change on the screen and think the engine is toast instead of pulling a log and sending to a tuner. Plus a tune is generally cheaper then an AP. Although some places offer a free pro tune with purchase of AP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If i owned a turbo subaru, I would go with a catless down pipe, high flow catted down pipe, sti tmic, possibly injectors and then a pro tune. New couplers for the turbo and intake just due to age. Smoke test before tune, ask the tuner if they want 1 step colder plugs installed. I tend to stay away from generic tunes, as they are designed to only meet specific requirements from a fresh build, and tune to damage engines. Plus APs give people worry because they see something change on the screen and think the engine is toast instead of pulling a log and sending to a tuner. Plus a tune is generally cheaper then an AP. Although some places offer a free pro tune with purchase of AP.
Did you mean catless up pipe here? And yes, I found a tuner here in town, so I'll definitely be getting a pro tune. Not interested in a off the shelf tune.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Did you mean catless up pipe here? And yes, I found a tuner here in town, so I'll definitely be getting a pro tune. Not interested in a off the shelf tune.
Yes haha, my phone did something weird so I re wrote some of that and it apparently auto corrected to down pipe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Does Grimmspeed make a decent TMIC (better/worse than a real STI TMIC)?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Does Grimmspeed make a decent TMIC (better/worse than a real STI TMIC)?
I'm pretty sure its better then a sti one, but sti ones can be had for cheap and is plenty for stock power levels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Well, dropped the car off with my mechanic last week and spent some time with him this weekend to come up with a game plan. The car is very rusty (I think I mentioned that already) but I think I can deal with it. To get rid of the CEL codes, he's going to ask around and see if I can score an intake locally and just swap mine out of a different one and wait on doing the TGV delete.
Going to get the car running sans CEL codes first.
Then I am going to upgrade the brakes. The hunt will be on for some slightly used 2004 STI Brembos.
After that, I'm either going to upgrade the suspension or re-do the exhaust. Not sure which one yet.
For suspension, I think I'm going to go the coilover route. Most likely going go with FEAL 441+ (the ones with the Swift springs).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What does everybody think about preemptive stock turbo replacement (before a failure) on a car that has 110k miles on it?
Not cheap, but do I have a ticking time bomb under the hood?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
What does everybody think about preemptive stock turbo replacement (before a failure) on a car that has 110k miles on it?
Mine is at 160K, but i had it since day 1. Always changing oil around 3,000 miles. That said i did have issues with cylinder 4 and engine rebuilt. I am very concerned about turbo going boom one of these days. I have timing belt replacement coming up and just like you I wonder if I should just bit the bullet and get a new turbo. I already have aftermarket up and down pipes and from all the research I have done looks like upgrade to v52 would be a route to go for both more power and reliability. Sounds expensive true, but still less than new car payments and I am quite interested in keeping my 08 OBXT around for a very long time. Either way I am no expert on the topic so just wondering what others will say.

Cheers,
Marcinho.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yep. You're further down the road than me (both mileage and upgrades). At some point I'll be doing the up/down/cbe, larger turbo, etc.
I'd like to drive it around for a while like it is before doing all that though. I just hope it doesn't blow up on me in the meantime.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You don't have to buy a brand new turbo, you can get cartridges or rebuilt turbos for under $500. Not cheap, but half the cost of a new turbo usually, and just as good. Also cartridges are very simple diy. There is a few people in the PNW around me that have ready to go turbos that are rebuilt, for $400 with yours traded to them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Might be worth it get a used backup turbo. Have you ever had one go out? Does it spell doom for your motor if one goes bad while you are driving?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
Might be worth it get a used backup turbo. Have you ever had one go out? Does it spell doom for your motor if one goes bad while you are driving?
Um, you had better sit down before we go any further here.

OK, ready?

Type "blown turbo XT" in the search community box above, and start reading.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts