Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi subaruoutback.org members,
I am not sure if this is where to post this, but if it is not, admin please move it.

I am in the process of buying a 2005 subaru outback 2.5i limited wagon and have some questions to ask. This is my first post here and would also be my first subaru if I were to buy it.

First of, it is a 2005 outback 2.5i limited with 142,xxx miles on it. It is a one owner and all maintenance have been done (been told, not verified yet). I am going in to tomorrow for the carfax and all. The question is what prices are you willing to pay for it? It's in fair condition, the leather interior has no rips or tears, just a little fade on the driver side oblique support. There's only a 2-3 dents and typical paint swirls.

What prices would you suggest and would you recommend it?

I have test driven it and it sound fine. Is there anything particular I should look for with being that high mileage or any concerns?

I currently own a 08 Civic SI HRP, but definitely need a AWD beast and first thing came to mind was a subie (mainly thanks to all my friends who use to own a ton).

thanks for answering!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,109 Posts
post your city and maybe someone could suggest a shop to take it to for a pre-purchase inspection.

paying a mech $125 or w'ever might save you from one or 2 expensive surprises, plus, give you some ammo to negotiate a lower price if he finds a coupla less critical problems with the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Evansville Indiana (47630)

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone? Any information would be gravely appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 2.5i
48 Posts
It really depends on what maintainance has been done and the overall condition of the car. Of course a dealer is going to say all maintainance has been done. Take it to a shop like suggested.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
That's a lot of miles to pay top buck, things could start happening to it brakes,rotors,timing belt water pump, just being level headed about it, we have a few dealers in our state, that will give you a warranty you'll pay a little more but piece of mined is worth a couple of bucks. Something to think about.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
$5442.00 Excellent Trade-in

$3767.00 Fair Trade-in

$7412.00 Excellent (sell outright)

$5637.00 Fair (sell outright)

Price"s on 2005 Limited (145,000 )

That's a lot of money

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys!

So the dealer is offering $6,245 Out the Door. From the inspection of myself, I have not seen any leaks or signs of leaks from the engine to the rear axles.

I like the prices Shadow is stating, as I offered 5,700 OTD. Albeit, KBB and Nadaguides is all suggesting the upper $7,000+ mark on good private parties and ~7K+ good retail dealer.

The car is mechanically sound, everything is functional with no visible leaks of any sort. According to the dealer, this car was a direct trade-in to a subaru dealer, recertified, and sold to this dealer I am talking to.

Do you think the Subaru dealer will disclose information on who they sold it to as a form of verification?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys!

I'm reluctant to say I will not be buying this OB after I ran a personal carfax report which cited it has been in a damage. However, I'm not leaving this site as the OB is still on my list.

Thanks for the support!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts