Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2021
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my OB, looking for people around the El Paso area to venture out with, see what my OB can do, talk about set ups, and all around good advice!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,371 Posts
Welcome to the board - I'm not in your area but could you share more about your car?

Reactions: Junk_Dawg

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
299 Posts
I am not in your area, I live In NY. However first I would recommend getting all the skid plates, Engine, Diff, transmission, mid sections, and etc as much as you can. Secondily, I would recommend having Torq locker installed in your rear diff. Link Below. This may not work with you exact model, the link is just to show you what I am talking about. This is like having a locking diff or a wielded diff, but still always both wheels to disconnect from each other when turning. Then the third option is more off-road lights.

·
Registered
Outback 2021
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just bought it recently just a base model subaru outback 2.5i 2021, but I'm wanting to find a good community to help me along Turning my baby into a offroad legend.

·
Registered
Outback 2021
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not in your area, I live In NY. However first I would recommend getting all the skid plates, Engine, Diff, transmission, mid sections, and etc as much as you can. Secondily, I would recommend having Torq locker installed in your rear diff. Link Below. This may not work with you exact model, the link is just to show you what I am talking about. This is like having a locking diff or a wielded diff, but still always both wheels to disconnect from each other when turning. Then the third option is more off-road lights.

What about recommended tires or lift kits?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,371 Posts
Wow it's a 2021 I was not expecting that. It's still relatively early days in figuring out what best fits the Gen 6 but people are experimenting with the new IronMan 4x4 suspensions for Subarus

For tires - are you going to get aftermarket wheels or stay stock? If your stock wheels are 17" then 225/65-17 Falken Wildpeak AT Trails would be good.

Something like 17" Method MR503 would be perfect if you want aftermarket wheels - be careful not to get too heavy aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
Outback 2021
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow it's a 2021 I was not expecting that. It's still relatively early days in figuring out what best fits the Gen 6 but people are experimenting with the new IronMan 4x4 suspensions for Subarus

For tires - are you going to get aftermarket wheels or stay stock? If your stock wheels are 17" then 225/65-17 Falken Wildpeak AT Trails would be good.

Something like 17" Method MR503 would be perfect if you want aftermarket wheels - be careful not to get too heavy aftermarket wheels.
I was thinking aftermarket for sure, for the skid plates I was thinking aluminum I could just make my own instead of buying em, good idea?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,371 Posts
If you're handy with Aluminum then it doesn't seem like it would be total rocket science to create a skid plate but carefully examine the aftermarket solutions to see how they did it and figure out why they did it the way they did. Plus not all aluminum is the same so I don't know if the kind of alloy they are using is more resistant than what you might be able to obtain. The devil is in the details. It's useless to create a skid plate that just shreds or pulls off.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5L
3 Posts
Another resource I would check out if you haven't already is the SUBIE & YOU podcast, the host is based in Dallas, Texas. He reviews gear, talks to leaders in the off roading modification biz catering to Subarus, and just started adding a segment of the show that highlights Subaru activities and gatherings around the country. Good for nerding out and getting an idea around how to find your people!

·
Registered
Outback 2021
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much you've been very very helpful I'll be sure to check that pod cast out and research into everything yall been suggesting for me.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Prem
55 Posts
AT tires will get you 90% of the realistic capacity off road. The rest is incremental. Lights, baskets and aftermarket wheels do not increase capability. 2” lift won’t change the limited approach and departure angles on a one to one basis. Tire repair kit and compressor should be the next buy after tires. Myself and a gazillion others went with Falcon Wildpeak AT Trails. Much heavier than those and you’ll lose mpgs and torque/power delivery to spin those tires up and over terrain, not to mention range per tank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Brucey just installed the Ironman lift. Personally, I take the "ground up" approach to offroad mods. Start with wheels and tires, then suspension and skid plates. Get your drivetrain running like you need it. Finally, add lights.

And here's my plug to join the Mtnroo Community group on FB.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
299 Posts
What about recommended tires or lift kits?
Of-course, I would recommend lift kits and tires. Most people usually start with these. I usually start with the skid plates first. Only because of my off-road experience, driving on paved roads. Yes I said correctly. I was driving down a paved road at 1am driving to a race track, doing 50mph, which is speed limit for the road I was driving on. By the time, my headlights picked up a 6-inch down tree branch, I was driving over it. The road was not lit at all and still not to this day. Since my accident of busted control arms, struts and a dented up Engine Oil pan, I now am worried about driving on that road at 1am.
I was thinking aftermarket for sure, for the skid plates I was thinking aluminum I could just make my own instead of buying em, good idea?
As far as skid plates, mine are aluminum under the engine. It mostly is a sheet of 8awg Aluminum, you are paying for the craftsman to drill the holes in the correct spots and the shipping. If you can order a large sheet of aluminum and thick, than all power to you. If you go that route, I would even recommend covering the entire undercarriage. You may need spots or access panels to drain fuilds.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I’m 100% pleased I added a 2” lift in addition to wheels, tires and skid plates. I’ve used every inch of that lift and have had an easier time in some spots because of it, plus there’s more I know I can do. Knowing the limits of the vehicle is important and adding 2” changed the limit. I also recommend JT Brooks Pro deflators, a good compressor, and a tire repair kit (add flex tape and Gluetread patches). Next for me is upgraded springs to deal with weight of living in an RTT for much of the coming summer. Rallitek overload springs will likely be the purchase. I can take the OB loads of places in the backcountry with this setup. If/when I want to rockcrawl or do more intense off-roading, I’ll get a different vehicle.

Have fun out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,371 Posts
One thing I'm jealous of is that Bilstein offers shocks for the Gen 5 that work well with uprated springs.

Reactions: 511037
1 - 16 of 16 Posts