Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it I got a subaru. I just got a 2011 outback and ran into a couple small issues. First one is the Christmas tree of lights flashing after driving for a while. Brake light cruise lights traction control light awd light. All of them I assume it’s the common issue of the valve body in the transmission, any recommended places to purchase a valve body and fluid?? Second issue only happens occasionally. I don’t have a key fob or anything just a normal chip key stick it in the ignition and sometimes immobilizer kicks in either killing the car or keeping it from starting. Previous owner is my landlord and he has never had this issue. Any possible causes to this u can pull the key back out of the ignition and put it back in and it works fine just a little annoying. Either way a great car drives straight down the road rides nice even at 193000 miles and a lot better gas mileage than my 94 f150. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks or advice for this car and these issues and Subaru in general.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,154 Posts
I suggest you get the fault codes from the computers before jumping the gun. All those lights come on for various reasons from a loos gas cap to issues with the engine or transmission management.

As for the key issue, how many keys do you have for the car? If you have second key, does it act the same way?

How old is the car's battery and what condition are the cables in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don’t know if Subaru changed the key system between ‘11 and ‘12. My ‘12 has a combination fob/key in one unit. Sounds like you have a spare key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just have the one key and I think it's a spare. I also did check trouble codes first time lights came on 2 transmission codes don't remember code numbers but were transfer solenoid and something about the tcm transmission control module

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
317 Posts
If you do decide to replace the valve body, I'd suggest getting one from the dealer. My local dealer had quarts of fluid and the price was good. That way you know you have all the right parts and fluid and a brick and mortar store to come back to if you have an issue. In my opinion, this isn't a job you'll want to do twice so just do it right the first time.

I needed about 10 quarts of fluid because it took me so long to replace the valve body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well sorry for not replying thanks for the tips. Lights haven't came back on sense I erased them with a scanner. Previous owner was just disconnecting the battery. Just have to figure out this key problem which I believe to be solved by a new key. Then onto the struts and wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suggest you get the fault codes from the computers before jumping the gun. All those lights come on for various reasons from a loos gas cap to issues with the engine or transmission management.

As for the key issue, how many keys do you have for the car? If you have second key, does it act the same way?

How old is the car's battery and what condition are the cables in?
I have the same problem with my 2010 2.5 limited, put in a new battery no change. I took it to local shop and he is telling me the codes say it's the transmission. I don't buy it.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,986 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 2.5 limited, put in a new battery no change. I took it to local shop and he is telling me the codes say it's the transmission. I don't buy it.
Did you get the DTC codes by any chance?

Seagrass

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I hope you have good luck. Cleaning the posts and terminals got rid of the lights for me haven't came back on and I've put about 300 miles on it sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I spoke too soon. Just drove to work this morning and right when I parked it lights came on. But it's not as many this time. This time traction control light on steady brake light is flashing and at oil temp light flashing. Before all the lights were on and flashing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well sorry it took so long but check engine light come on on my way home from work along with all the other lights so here is a list of codes I have
P2096
P1574
C0057
P0971
C0045
C0231
C0232
13 for tire pressure system
So hopefully that helps I saved it on my scanner for reference if we need to go back and look at something the p2096 code is new thanks again all of you

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,986 Posts
“C” codes are typically from bad communication.

What are your battery cables and battery terminals like? They need to be free of corrosion clean and tight.

You should also check and clean your earth/ground cables as these are a fundamental part of the communication path.

Seagrass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts