Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking a getting a Subaru

Hello we are Anton and Snow and we've have been looking to get a Subaru for awhile. We were looking at Foresters but since they don't have much cargo room we're now thinking about getting an Outback. Probably something somewhat newer 2014 or newer. What's the oder or the trim levels? We'd like to have eyesight. Is eyesight standard on some models? How much can they tow? 5k lbs? We'd like to use it to go camping sometimes since our other vehicle is a Prius and can't do much on forest roads. What about Xmode? Is Xmode an option on all trim levels or is it standard on some? I thought the Outbacks had a panoramic moonroof like the Foresters no? Searching today we just found a 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV for $23,900 with 35,372. Is that a fair price for the milage? This vehicle is not at a Subaru dealer so any concerns about that? Any other advice you can give us when we're looking for an Outback? Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a blessed day/night.

Anton & Snow

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca = cars101.com lists what is available with the trims over the years. scans right out of the books making it easy to compare year to year.

I would test drive a forester. and consider waiting until fall until the 2019s come in with the new platform. (2018 forester will be the last of the older generation).
(19s debuted a few days ago at the NYC autoshow). the cargo size is similar to a outback. however the outback has a bigger load floor which most people find more usable in the real world usage, vs. the taller box of the forester. forester front seats are kind of odd/ narrow vs. the outbacks though. so if you really want one, make sure you drove it for 45 minutes.

~~~

what I would avoid. 2015s. the dealers are glutted with them, however they have problems with the CVT trans and the FB25B engines in that year. these are covered by a extended warranty only to 100,000 miles.

trouble free 2016s should come back in quantity off least starting in august.

Reactions: Brad99

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello we are Anton and Snow and we've have been looking to get a Subaru for awhile. We had been looking at Foresters but since they don't have enough cargo room we're now thinking about getting an Outback. Probably a gen 5. What's the oder or the trim levels? We want to find one with eyesight. Is eyesight standard on some models? How much can they tow? 5k lbs? We like to go camping. So we'd liked to get an Outback since it has the higher road clearance. Right now our other vehicle is a Prius and it can't handle forest roads very well. What about Xmode? Is Xmode an option on all trim levels or is it standard on some? I thought the Outbacks had a panoramic moonroof like the Foresters no? I saw from one picture some have rear air. Is that true? We have two dogs so rear air would be great. We've been looking online and came across this 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV for $23,900 with 35,372. Is that a fair price for the milage? This vehicle is not at a Subaru dealer so should we be concerned about that? Any other advice you can give us when we're looking for an Outback? or Any help you can give in general us would be greatly appreciated.

Anton & Snow

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
247 Posts
Hello we are Anton and Snow and we've have been looking to get a Subaru for awhile. We had been looking at Foresters but since they don't have enough cargo room we're now thinking about getting an Outback. Probably a gen 5. What's the oder or the trim levels? We want to find one with eyesight. Is eyesight standard on some models? How much can they tow? 5k lbs? We like to go camping. So we'd liked to get an Outback since it has the higher road clearance. Right now our other vehicle is a Prius and it can't handle forest roads very well. What about Xmode? Is Xmode an option on all trim levels or is it standard on some? I thought the Outbacks had a panoramic moonroof like the Foresters no? I saw from one picture some have rear air. Is that true? We have two dogs so rear air would be great. We've been looking online and came across this 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV for $23,900 with 35,372. Is that a fair price for the milage? This vehicle is not at a Subaru dealer so should we be concerned about that? Any other advice you can give us when we're looking for an Outback? or Any help you can give in general us would be greatly appreciated.

Anton & Snow
The Outback is a perfect camping vehicle - especially with a Cargo Carrier thrown on top.

Cargo Space - Might not realize this, but the Forrester and Outback have the same cargo space in back. Outback's is "longer but not as tall" while the Forrester is "taller but not as long."

Trim Levels - I got the 2.5i, both to save money and because I didn't want a V6 with the 18 inch wheels. For offroad use with all-terrain tires, 17 inch wheels give you more options plus they are just a bit better for offroad use in general.

Eyesight is standard on the top trim levels, not standard on the base/premium packages. But you can add it in separately if you want to.

Towing capacity of the Outback is poor. Around 1.8K or so. Don't plan on towing much with the car. It's not meant for it.

Moonroof - Can be added on to lower trim levels and comes standard on the upper trim levels. I don't have one on mine - and don't miss not having it.

X- mode is the real deal. Between the Symmetrical AWD and X-Mode, you can go on any forest road you're likely to find. It's standard on all Outback Gen 5 models. The Outback blows away a Prius on any gravel or dirt road.

Used cars right now are very expensive. I went new simply because it was only a few thousand more. But the price for a Limited you quote doesn't seem to bad at all. Still, need to verify that online at TrueCar or some other such site.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
232 Posts
I know a couple of Gen5 OB owners who tow small pop-up campers with no reported problems. They both have 3.6 engines, which is what I have in my 2016 as well. I'd recommend researching the 3.6 v. 2.5 both on this forum and Consumer Reports or something similar. If you're looking at second-hand, the step up in price from a 2.5 to a 3.6 won't be as much as buying new if you decide 3.6 is for you.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
The Outback has never had a "panoramic" sunroof although the Forester has offered one for quite a while. Also not quite sure what you mean about "rear air" but it does not have any sort of rear-passenger controlled air conditioning like some larger 3-row SUVs and mini-vans have.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How much can they tow? 5k lbs?
No, it isn't a ladder on frame truck.

Capacity is listed as 2,700 lbs and I've always subscribed to the if you don't want a vehicle toasted by 70k cut that number in half, then by time you put crap in whatever your towing your at 75% max. If I wanted to tow 5,000 lbs I would get a vehicle rated to tow 7.5k or 8k or 10k.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. So what are the trim levels and what orders do they go in? The vehicle we saw showed vents just behind the center console. I also noticed some pictures of the radio say phone and some say maps? If it says maps it has nav right? If it says phone it doesn’t have nav? I assume the 3.6 is the v6? Is it better for towing? Probably less gas mileage tough? Thanks again for the info.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Thanks for the info. So what are the trim levels and what orders do they go in? The vehicle we saw showed vents just behind the center console. I also noticed some pictures of the radio say phone and some say maps? If it says maps it has nav right? If it says phone it doesn’t have nav? I assume the 3.6 is the v6? Is it better for towing? Probably less gas mileage tough? Thanks again for the info.
Trim levels are base, premium, limited, touring.

The 3.6 IS NOT a v6. Pancake engine just like the 2.5....yes it gets less gas mileage than the 2.5. Lots of threads on which is better. Reality is that performance wise, both are rocks.

You really need to spend some time driving various versions to decide which will best fit your needs. My wife has a '17 Forester. I do not like it all that much. My wife doesn't like my OB all that much. The biggest dislike for each of us is the seats. You sit up on the seats in the Forester and down in the seats of the OB.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said we own a Prius which we love, but it doesn’t hardly has any cargo room so we always have to borrow somebody’s vehicle since we don’t own a truck anymore. You say you sit up higher in a forester? Like sitting in a truck? That’s what my wife and I are used to driving. I would I like the forester but I think the longer vehicle would better for if we need to pick up cargo. I’ll check out cars101 and look into the 2.5 or 3.6. I’d love to test drive but do want to be pressured. Maybe CarMax would be a good place for that. If the touring is the top trim level, then, that would have eyesight and close standard? Again thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Based on the 101 site mentioned above the Forester has 1sq foot more cargo space than the OB. More height for cargo in Forester, more length for cargo in OB.

My experience is that you sit higher in an OB than a sedan. (probably not as high as vehicles that you need to step up into like a truck, didn't try a Forester so not sure about driving height comparison there)

I'd strongly encourage test driving anything you are looking at -- and do that for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Go out on residential streets and highway, drive places that you know, try out the sound, navigation, pair your phone, etc. -- that might take an hour or two -- sit in the seat the whole time, and move the seat around so you are in the position in which you would drive. Then try the hatch, put the rear seats down to check for cargo size, etc. Try both engines if you have any question about them. Don't be concerned with the sales person.

Yes, the Touring has ES standard. Visit the 101 site for all the information about Subarus -- standard equipment, options, etc.

Reading your comments above, perhaps a truck would end up a better fit for you if you need to haul a lot of stuff and tow heavy loads. Good luck!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
merged threads . I posted yesterday on the older one.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.