Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

While I'm waiting for my dealer to receive an Outback with my desired equipment, I decided to log on here and begin browsing the user forums. I am expecting a Pearl White Touring 3.6R to arrive later this month. I will be dumping my 2012 Audi Q5, which didn't live up to my expectations. While it was used (bought to replace my two VW diesels that were bought back), I expected it to be at least equal to my older and newer VWs. I was wrong. The Bluetooth worked, but in that year you couldn't stream music. It does have a hard drive for music, but it too was rather archaic.

My dealer (who sells VW and Subaru) loaned my a Legacy last year for a couple of days, and the EyeSight technology was fantastic. I've been waiting to buy something with adaptive cruise, and now's my chance. I drove both the 2.5 and 3.6R, and the 6 cylinder wins by a wide margin for power, smoothness, and quiet.

I've been posting on car forums for well over 10 years, and worked on family or personal cars since the 60s. Yeah, I'm old. :grin2: But am still very much on technology and other stuff. My day job is Air Traffic Controller, but I'm past the upper age limit so now fly a desk instead of a radar screen. Born and raised in the greater Seattle area, but currently in DC on a job detail for a year. Besides cars, my interests are Amateur Radio, computers and home theater.

Looking forward to tinkering with my Outback. Is there anything similar to the VCDS cable/software for VW products that let you get deep into the software settings of the car?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Welcome...I can't see dumping the 4 hoops for a 6-Star, but the 3.6R will help ease the transition...

If I could afford an Audi I would never drive a Subaru. But we do what we can. Q5 not Audi's best example...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,484 Posts
subaru has a whole tuner community, (some of it is actually similar to VW) = free RomRaider.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-guides/184170-romraider-logging-dummies.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/97977-romraider-what-data-log.html

passive reading / logging = $11 vag cable. (windows or linux laptop,....I guess some person is running rom-raider with linux...somewhere).

_______

re-flashing = $160 Tactrix

and XRT is the H6 tuner of choice,...one of the rare tuners that works with 6 cylinder subarus.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../380002-xrt-working-2015-cvt-performance.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...d-pre2017-h6-3-6-5eat-vs-2015-h6-3-6-cvt.html

Reactions: traildogck

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
And yeah...there is all that.

XRT is a very wise move if you prefer to stray from stock...ECU or otherwise.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome...I can't see dumping the 4 hoops for a 6-Star, but the 3.6R will help ease the transition...

If I could afford an Audi I would never drive a Subaru. But we do what we can. Q5 not Audi's best example...
I recognize that my Q5 is older (2012), and that the newer ones are much improved in the tech area. However, my overriding issue is the way the closest dealer's service department treated my wife when she brought it in for something. My VW dealer is never like that, and since they also sell Subaru, I'm confident the same attitude will carry over to that area of their service department.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And, took delivery last night. car arrived 5 days earlier than scheduled. The first thing both my daughter and myself noticed was how much quieter it was compared to the Q5. This is going to be a nice ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts