Subaru Outback Forums banner

New to Subaru Community 09 XT

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Davej98092 
Definitely pull the filter from the turbo feed banjo, right away. Then:

Start by getting a Cobb AccessPort. Cobb's off-the-shelf Stage 1 tune, with no hardware mods, gains you substantial power and is actually much healthier for the engine than the stock tune, which burns the #4 exhaust valves due to excessive leanness.

Drive it for a while. Want more power? Get a catted 3" downpipe and run Cobb's Stage 2 tune, or preferably a pro tune. A stage 2 pro tune is the optimal balance of power and engine safety.

Want more power? That's a whole different conversation.
Until then, no other hardware mods are beneficial, and most are inadvisable.

Exhaust: assuming you mean the catback, it's just about noise. The factory catback is fine for stage 2, theoretically not a restriction until about 300 WHP. Personally, I like something that flows a bit more at stage 2, the butt dyno feels a difference.

Air/oil separators are popular with the kids. Maybe beneficial, I dunno.

STAY AWAY from aftermarket intakes unless you're going for big power or at the very least getting a custom tune. The added flow runs you lean, which is the enemy of engine life. You could run a Cobb intake with a Cobb Stage 1+ OTS tune, but that's about the only safe CAI solution without a custom tune, and it gains you nothing but noise.

The stock intercooler is fine through stage 2. HOWEVER, I highly recommend a Bulletproof kit, mandatory if you go to stage 2. Look up BarManBean at legacygt.com.
I definitely should have mentioned that above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.