Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a huge car-guy but have no experience with Subaru at all. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Outback for my son in college. It has 101,000 miles on it with the 2.5L engine. The seller said the head gasket, water pump and timing belt were replaced at 90k. I am waiting on a callback from him to discuss the details but thought I would reach out to this group.

1. Our family owns several Hondas so I am familiar with needing to replace the timing belt on certain year models. Does Subaru recommend doing that service around 100k also?
2. His ad says the headgasket was replaced - is this a common repair on this motor also? Any input as to why that would have needed to be done?
3. Anything else I should be looking for on this vehicle? I read a few things online about excessive oil consumption on certain model years of this motor - is 2012 one to be concerned with?

I appreciate any advice and guidance you can share

thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5L with the CVT transmission and 83,000mi. Subaru extended the warranty on the CVT to 10 years, 100,000mi. for some models and years including mine, which will be replaced as soon as the dealer receives it. The metal belt inside the trans is slipping and making noise. The cost to replace this transmission out of warranty is quite high IMHO.
I really like this car but that cost would prevent me from buying another Subaru with a CVT. My advice would be to keep looking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm a huge car-guy but have no experience with Subaru at all. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Outback for my son in college. It has 101,000 miles on it with the 2.5L engine. The seller said the head gasket, water pump and timing belt were replaced at 90k. I am waiting on a callback from him to discuss the details but thought I would reach out to this group.

1. Our family owns several Hondas so I am familiar with needing to replace the timing belt on certain year models. Does Subaru recommend doing that service around 100k also?
2. His ad says the headgasket was replaced - is this a common repair on this motor also? Any input as to why that would have needed to be done?
3. Anything else I should be looking for on this vehicle? I read a few things online about excessive oil consumption on certain model years of this motor - is 2012 one to be concerned with?

I appreciate any advice and guidance you can share

thank you
RUN. Don't walk!

The 2010-12 with the 2.5 is one of the worst models with stupid expensive repairs. Especially given that Subaru now has just over 100k miles. Which means the faulty CVT extended warranty is now expired. Lineartronic CVT Reliability

I have a 2011 Outback and it's the worst car we have ever owned - right after our 2006 Outback. Just because the head gaskets were replaced 10k miles ago doesn't mean they won't start leaking again. Our 2006 Outback started leaking at 70k and AGAIN at just over 100k. All done by the dealer and properly resurfaced. What a joke. These repairs are $2500 because they have to remove the entire engine because the stupid design. People hate on German luxury cars all the time for expensive repairs but for some reason Subaru gets away with it.

We came from a family of reliable Honda's and Toyotas and what a surprise we were in for. Needless to say, this will be the last Subaru we ever own. If you MUST own an Outback get the 3.6 engine.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
978 Posts
All cars have there problems, unfortunately the 2011-12 Subaru engines/transmissions have more than most so this vehicle is probably not the best choice for a college student, unless they have or want to learn some mechanical skills.

An earlier model with the four or five speed auto AND confirmation that the head gaskets had been replaced may be a much better option (or a similar age Honda or Toyota)

Seagrass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts