Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, always wanted a Subaru and finally pulled the trigger on the Outback Wilderness! We are heading to Moab in a few weeks to break it in with a road trip, mountain biking, and some light off-roading. I've never had/driven a subaru and am curious if I will even have the need for Xmode, we are planning on doing the Shafer/Potash rd from Moab to Canyonlands and Willow Springs road into Arches. Anyone have some good advice for when and how to use the Xmode, is it similar to 4 wheel drive where in most cases you don't want to use it unless you are getting stuck? Super excited for the adventure, and thanks for the advice ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
120 Posts
Congratulations on the new OBW and welcome to the forum! I've been a member for two months and have learned a lot from the folks here.

About breaking in your OBW on a road trip: I think you should have it mostly if not entirely broken it in before the road trip. The advice I got here fits what's in the owner's manual. 1000 miles at varying rpm but always staying below 4000 rpm (so no long stretches using cruise control or at constant speed), driven conservatively (no hard acceleration or braking). Let rings get seated, etc. Adds to vehicle longevity and performance. You probably know all this, but it's best to be sure.

I haven't yet used Xmode and so would also appreciate hearing from more experienced forum members on when and how best to use it. My impression is that it's best used to avoid getting stuck (mud, snow), for climbing/descending steeper grades with loose surfaces, and snowy conditions generally. But when to use which Xmode setting? I'd welcome any advice or correction.

BTW, your user tag (Photoanger) intrigues me -- fair to assume you're a photographer?

Enjoy your Moab trip! I'll be in Taos, NM in two weeks for a shoot and workshop, then Moab in October for another shoot. Let us know how it goes with the Potash/Shafer and Willow Springs routes.

Welcome again!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on the new OBW and welcome to the forum! I've been a member for two months and have learned a lot from the folks here.

About breaking in your OBW on a road trip: I think you should have it mostly if not entirely broken it in before the road trip. The advice I got here fits what's in the owner's manual. 1000 miles at varying rpm but always staying below 4000 rpm (so no long stretches using cruise control or at constant speed), driven conservatively (no hard acceleration or braking). Let rings get seated, etc. Adds to vehicle longevity and performance. You probably know all this, but it's best to be sure.

I haven't yet used Xmode and so would also appreciate hearing from more experienced forum members on when and how best to use it. My impression is that it's best used to avoid getting stuck (mud, snow), for climbing/descending steeper grades with loose surfaces, and snowy conditions generally. But when to use which Xmode setting? I'd welcome any advice or correction.

BTW, your user tag (Photoanger) intrigues me -- fair to assume you're a photographer?

Enjoy your Moab trip! I'll be in Taos, NM in two weeks for a shoot and workshop, then Moab in October for another shoot. Let us know how it goes with the Potash/Shafer and Willow Springs routes.

Welcome again!
Thanks! Yeah by break in I didn't really mean "break in" haha, just passed 1000mi on it a few days ago. Photoanger is one I've been using for a long time, I love photography but am far from any sort of pro (I shoot with a Sony A6000 still and have a mavic pro) so I'm excited to maybe get some follow drone shots in the desert with the new car too...where it is legal of course.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
120 Posts
. . . excited to maybe get some follow drone shots in the desert with the new car too...where it is legal of course.
I don't use a drone so could be wrong, but they may be banned in national parks. If so, two places to try are at Dead Horse Point State Park right by Canyonlands NP and Corona Arch (BLM jurisdiction, parking lot & trail head off Utah 279). Trail to Corona is along a side canyon maybe 3+ miles roundtrip, moderate trail with some mild exposure (climbing aids installed). Chances for some dramatic aerial shots.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use a drone so could be wrong, but they may be banned in national parks. If so, two places to try are at Dead Horse Point State Park right by Canyonlands NP and Corona Arch (BLM jurisdiction, parking lot & trail head off Utah 279). Trail to Corona is along a side canyon maybe 3+ miles roundtrip, moderate trail with some mild exposure (climbing aids installed). Chances for some dramatic aerial shots.
Nice, yep they are for sure a no go in National Parks and there is an FAA app to check where you can and can't fly. I for sure want to stop by Corona arch!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm hoping to get a Wilderness in the same blue color so I'm extremely jealous. I saw a few videos from Driving Sports TV recently that did a good job explaining the X-mode systems and how they shift power between the wheels when things start to slip or get stuck. They can be kind of long but lots of good info if you have the time. Of course, he is trying to get stuck to see what the different modes do, so you might want to turn yours on a little sooner if things start to get more difficult.

Here's one with the wilderness in it, but if you search their channel there are a few other generic X mode videos that would apply to that car too:

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
2008 OB 3.0R 6MT 2020 Kia Niro EV
150 Posts
Greetings from Salt Lake and welcome to the forum and the Utah subaru family!

I don't think you'll really need Xmode for anything but if you're struggling try it out. Also if you're ever stuck in deep heavy snow turn OFF traction control. It fights the engine and makes it so you can't put down any power. Turn it off and let the wheels spin a little and it will claw its way out better.

Long canyon road from top to bottom (dead horse point down to the colorado river) is another favorite of mine and a nice way to get back to moab. Top to bottom is better than bottom to top.

Ps: The local facebook group for offroading subarus is Mtnroo Utah.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings from Salt Lake and welcome to the forum and the Utah subaru family!

I don't think you'll really need Xmode for anything but if you're struggling try it out. Also if you're ever stuck in deep heavy snow turn OFF traction control. It fights the engine and makes it so you can't put down any power. Turn it off and let the wheels spin a little and it will claw its way out better.

Long canyon road from top to bottom (dead horse point down to the colorado river) is another favorite of mine and a nice way to get back to moab. Top to bottom is better than bottom to top.

Ps: The local facebook group for offroading subarus is Mtnroo Utah.
Thanks for the tips, I’ve been to Moab a few times but only to mountain bike. I’m looking forward to exploring a little more and will check out that trail for sure!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey everybody, always wanted a Subaru and finally pulled the trigger on the Outback Wilderness! We are heading to Moab in a few weeks to break it in with a road trip, mountain biking, and some light off-roading. I've never had/driven a subaru and am curious if I will even have the need for Xmode, we are planning on doing the Shafer/Potash rd from Moab to Canyonlands and Willow Springs road into Arches. Anyone have some good advice for when and how to use the Xmode, is it similar to 4 wheel drive where in most cases you don't want to use it unless you are getting stuck? Super excited for the adventure, and thanks for the advice ahead of time!
Willow Springs is an awesome road, especially now that national parks are packed and you can avoid the line. I didn't face anything that gave me trouble on that road. I did later get in a situation where I was going up a steep road in fairly deep sand (with a huge dropoff right next to me :censored:) that I couldn't make it up. I said a prayer since there was no place to turn around, Hit X Mode and made it on the second attempt.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
12 Posts
Congrats on the car, I appreciate what Subaru did with that trim level.

Based on my experience with a traditional 4wd with a transfer case and our '19 3.6R with x mode, I would describe X-mode as the closest thing you'll get to having a "low range" in a subaru... but even that is kind of a stretch.

Take the opportunity to experiment with it on your trip. I think it's best used on long downhill descents, somewhat uneven uphill climbs and relatively uneven terrain. Remember, if you encounter terrain that your having trouble with (short of something extreme like rock crawling) enable X mode and let the computer do its thing while you just work the throttle.

Also, the advice mentioned above about turning off traction control is a must, I do it every time the outback goes off road.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drove willow springs road today, being new to off-roading and a Subaru was super fun!!! What a great test and used xmode just to try it out a few times and couldn’t be happier! Thanks for all the info before I got into this trip.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts